Sunday 18 April 2021

Opening Up

The country is opening up from the restrictions imposed because of the pandemic, but our walk on Friday was very local, just over the county boundary in Hertfordshire. That meant we had a fairly early start to proceedings.



We are experiencing some rather strange April weather lately with overnight frosts and even a little fog around dawn; the above-average temperatures of the last few years have lulled us into thinking that we might be done with frosts in April, though I remember that the advice always used to be not to plant out any tender plants till late May.



The local golf club has opened up too and there was no shortage of enthusiastic putters tramping through the early morning dew.



The strip of woodland running along the southern perimeter of the golf course is a very well-walked area, being so close to the town of Royston, and dog walkers were out in force as the sun began to break through the mist.



A tree has fallen across this little track leading towards the golf course.



I'm sure this larger track must once have been the old road between Therfield and Royston, as it makes no sense for there not to have been a direct road. Nowadays, if you want to drive from one to the other, you have to leave Therfield by making your way along minor roads to the main road into town. Or of course walk along this ancient track; it'll be better for your health and you might spot Yellowhammers, Linnets and Corn Buntings singing from the hedges.



Not that there are many hedges in this heavily farmed landscape. It's doubtful that this was ever densely forested land as it forms part of the chalk ridge which cuts across the country, though it was never farmed as intensively, or insensitively, as it has been during the last century.



To save you straining your eyes, I'll tell you that the little white sign at the bottom left tells you that the narrow strip of land behind it is a "wildlife margin", part of what seems an inadequate gesture to redress the balance. But it's not the only environmental scheme here and while I was taking the photo a Raven flew over, a bird you wouldn't have seen in this area a few years ago, and just one indication perhaps that things are improving a little, here and there.



After skirting around the village of Therfield, we took to the sunken lane which gave occasional glimpses opening up over the surrounding fields, where we managed to see Fallow Deer and many Hares.



I'd often passed this small south-facing meadow, but never at the right time, it seems, to see its wealth of golden cowslips.



The meadow is fenced around so it was tricky to find a nice group of the flowers to photograph, but eventually this little scene revealed itself. But these were not the flowers I'd come to see. I'd approached by this lengthy route to be sure they were opening up and looking their best by the time I arrived.



This grassy hummock is known as Church Hill and for a few brief weeks every year it hosts a small spectacle that causes the good folk of Royston and the surrounding villages to don their walking shoes and undertake a miniature expedition, for the grassy slopes become home to some small purple flowers.



These are wild Pasque Flowers (pulsatilla vulgaris) and they are a rare plant indeed, occurring in just a handful of places in the UK. They get their name from "Paschal", meaning associated with Easter, as that's the time they flower.



They are also grown in gardens, particularly on rockeries, but these garden flowers are much larger than those that grow wild here on Church Hill. By the way, I can find no reference to a church ever having stood near this spot. The only mention on the HeritageGateway website (a fine resource for anyone wanting to find out about historic building and sites in England) is of some low banks below the hill, these almost imperceptible square structures are thought to be medieval sheep pens, but have the imaginative local folk name of "The Devil's Hopscotch".



And, while we're on the subject of folk names, Pasque Flowers are also known as Dane's Blood, from a supposed link to old burial sites, of which there was one on Church Hill, but it was probably from the Neolithic period, so no link with any church there.



I can rarely pass without taking a picture of this absurd gate standing all alone (and in vain) at the edge of the golf course. No point in opening up the gate when you can walk round on either side.


On a different topic, I see that it's just ten years ago when I published my first post on this blog. A big thank you to all those who follow my gentle adventures and have contributed 17,420 comments over the years.


Take care.


28 comments:

  1. Hi John - congratulations on the ten years ... it is amazing how blogging takes a hold of us. Gosh hasn't the weather been odd ... it's been frosty down here on the south coast too. Lovely shots - the cowslips - we have them on our chalklands too ... but those Pasque flowers are quite wonderful ... I'd never heard of them - so thanks for sharing ... what a wonderful area to walk. Enjoy getting out and about a bit more - all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next door but one Sid has a cultivated Pasque flower in his front garden and I wait eagerly each yea for it to flower - but oh to see it like this John - all those purple beauties and cowslips too (I have a few of those on my rockery) utter bliss. Things like this were everywhere when I was a child, It is so good to see them coming back. Thanks for a lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on ten years.
    I love the 'Easter' flower (seeing a whole hillside of them would be amazing) and the close up of the cowslips.
    Sadly intense farming so often does mean insensitive farming. When will we learn....

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you say, those strip plantings for wildlife don't redress the whole imbalance, but they are a great addition nonetheless and can quickly become home to a variety of creatures, as you know. The hedgerows that served to demarcate farmers' fields under more traditional farming practices were renowned for their species richness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to be introduced to Pasque Flowers...beautiful, and so glad you were able to catch some in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little purple flowers are beautiful. I've never heard of them. You are blessed with beautiful gifts from Nature. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 10 year blog anniversary! I have enjoyed your blog very much.
    Those purple flowers are a treat and they remind me to take a trip to my local forest preserve to see if the bluebells are blooming yet.
    Thanks for another beautiful hike!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a lovely walk there. I love that you saw a raven! Yay! It's been very foggy here for the past week and not burning off to reveal the kind of beauty you're seeing there. Now that things are opening up there, I'm wondering where you'll head out for your first new adventure.
    Happy Blogiversary. I'm so glad our blogging paths crossed. I love seeing what you're seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy blog anniversary. I don't know how long I've been following you but it must be quite a chunk of those ten years and I've enjoyed every post of yours. Those pasque flowers are stunning - and I'm rather partial to cowslips too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the beautiful walk and photos. A big congrats on your 10th blog anniversary, a very impressive accomplishment, John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful views, especially in the mist.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So much to love about this post, the fog, the blooms, the fifth photo. Thank you for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Always a treat to see and read your posts (from Canada Coastal BC).
    Thank you for writing.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved seeing your Pasque flowers - I saw my very first Pasque flowers on Church Hill, Royston many years ago.
    Those golfers look as if they need a neon golf ball in order to keep track of it in that mist.
    Congratulations on 10 years of blogging. I can't remember how long I have been blogging, but it is probably similar to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always, John, it was a pleasure to "walk" with you. I've never seen cowslips or pasqueflowers. How lovely they are. Congratulations on the ten years. I think I passed that anniversary without remembering it. Heading on to 15 years next January. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What beautiful countryside! Incredibly beautiful flowers too. Crazy gate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. My grandma had a hillside of pasque flowers (also called wind flowers) behind her house and every spring we would walk up the MAMMOTH hill to see them. So delicate and pretty. I’ve seen the hill that seemed like a mountain since I grew up and chuckled as it’s really a gentle and not very long climb! Funny gate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I always love your walks. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The hill covered in those purple flowers must be a beautiful sight. They are lovely flowers. I wonder how the golfers see their ball flying through the fog? Congrats on ten years of blogging. I never tire of your rambles through the English countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Pasque Flowers look stunning, thank you for sharing this rare plant with delightful images.

    Many congratulations on your '10th Blog Year'!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another ifne walk and a reward along the way to see the Pasque Flowers. Congrats on the blog birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A fabulous set of images John.
    Many lost balls one would guess.?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are lovely little flowers well worth the walk. I'm envious of all the right aways that England has for you to set out to walk from one town to another. No such thing over here. Thanks for taking me along. And congrats on your blogaversary. Glad I happened upon your blog in the last year.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The misty photos are lovely and it must have been fun to be out in the mist so early in the morning. I have never seen those Pasque flowers, but a friend has something very similar in her spring flower garden. But I love the cowslips. I never saw any when I was growing up in Devon, my mother said all the cowslips grew in Wiltshire.
    I think I would be inclined to open that gate and walk through, just because I can!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A lovely post filled with “opening up”. First of all, nice to know your country’s opening up from the restrictions related to COVID. The golfers’ “can’t wait” golfing in the dense fog made me smile. I like to see the wider views opening from the woody places. Wild flowers have awakened; good for you to be at the right time. I’ve never seen wild Pasque Flowers in person. To see them dotting on the grass hill must be something. Congratulations on your 10 years blogging. Your photos shot in the (moderately) foggy morning is one of the most impressive images to me. My blog history would be similar to yours. Many various different things happened, but blogging continues. Ah, the gate looks symbolizing to me the loose COVID restrictions of my country; the gate can’t stop people except for the mindful ones.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  26. How wonderful the views and woodland walks are and the wild Pasque flowers are beautiful. Congratulations on 10 years of blogging, I always enjoy visiting and often learn something new from your posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. First, John, congratulations on your 10th blogging anniversary, which is quite an accomplishment these days as many bloggers have come and gone in that span. I am glad you are not in that group as I enjoy coming along on your walks, even if vicariously. Purple is my favorite color and those Pasque flowers really were wonderful to see, a first time for me. And, it seems, that dedicated duffers will play in any weather.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your 10th year! I don't remember how or just when I came across your blog but I have sure enjoyed the photos. I started at one time to go back and see it from the beginning...but life got in the way.

    I enjoy the walks you take us on...love the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).