Friday 2 July 2021

When Cows Lie Down

 It wasn't great weather for either walking or taking photographs but I decided to go anyway.


"It's going to rain you know. Everybody knows that"



Down here, under the trees and next to the stream, it's almost dark, despite it being nearly mid-day. Very dark, but very lush and green.



Meadow Cranesbill is flowering in the meadow (where else?).



The grasses are turning to their midsummer hue despite the recent rains.



A fly that's about the size of a bumble bee is busy on the flower heads. It's called a Pellucid Fly and apparently in the right light you can see right through it. It's a fairly common species and I know I've looked up its name before - and promptly forgot it again, of course. In the words of comedian Jimmy Cricket "I'm a fast learner, but an even faster forgetter!" 



An uprooted tree whose base has soon become smothered in ivy, while many small saplings try their luck in the vacated hollow. Ivy can become a major, and mostly unappreciated, presence in the small scraps of woodland around here.



It's so pervasive that it's impossible to ignore. Where some woods have bluebells, wild garlic, or wood anemones spreading between the trees, others have ivy, ivy and ivy. Makes a nice subject to photograph though.



Garden poppies are mostly finished flowering now with seed heads forming, though wild poppies are still on the fields.



A tree I've never noticed before, though I often pass this way.



Roses are looking fantastic in many folk's gardens, though if we get that promised rain I suppose they'll be spoiled.



And it certainly looks like it might. But so far it's stayed dry.


See, it hasn't rained.
"No, but it's going to!"


Take care.




25 comments:

  1. The second picture could almost fool you into thinking that there are temperate rain forests in England! And as for cows lying down to predict rain, western North America is in grave need of supine bovines! And rain dances. And incantations. And hope too. Lots of hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One couldn’t adequately describe that second photo with words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I read this we are having a gentle rain here. Much needed since we have drought conditions. The barn whisperer has arrived with his young helper. I saw a back hoe that will be used to dig a 4 foot whole for support pier. Work continues yippee!
    I didn't realize that ivy could be so invasive on the ground . Have seen it strangle trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your weather forecaster and also the poppies. And I wish that Meadow Cranesbill would decide it liked my garden. I love it but can;t persuade it to grow here,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know that about cows! Glad the rain held off so you could get some great photos for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We always talk to the cows in our neighborhood. Sometimes we Moo. Sometimes we Oom.
    Love the photo of the Meadow Cranesbill. When I first saw it I thought it was a beautiful butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved seeing the flowers...hope they enjoyed the rain, like Ms. Cow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos John. You were lucky it stayed dry but even when it's raining nature has its charmes. But of course you know that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great photos. We passed a field on our way out this morning with all the cows sitting down - looks like we are in for a deluge then:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I love walking with you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful area! Thanks for taking us along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for a walk! Poppies look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely shots. The cow looks relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a very nice selection of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super photos of the cow. I love those poppies! The flowers are so beautiful. The ivy is really pretty too. I agree, it makes a lovely photo. I've enjoyed this walk with you, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You certainly got some nice photos in spite of the weather. The ivy is insane - so invasive. Not hardy over here, thank goodness. The poppies and roses are lovely. The cow looks so mellow - not worried, rain or no rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although ivy can spread through woodlands here it is not invasive in that it actually belongs here. It provides nectar and berries at times when there is little food available in the countryside. It's not a parasite but just uses trees, walls and fences as a means of support and the present thinking is that it does little harm to established trees either.

      Delete
  17. ohh I looove that cow!!Just my words It is going to rain you know!! :)))

    The nature is outstanding at your place.Seems like it is an old forest.Very beautifulNever heard of wild garlic!!the photoes taken are very nice and calm..Just like summer should be..England Ireland and Scotland is some of my favourites to spend some time..Thanx for sharing these wonderful shoots:))

    ReplyDelete
  18. nice carpet of ivy under the trees, with the different shades of green * the cow seems to appreciate her own grass carpet !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I always enjoy your walks. Thank you John.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A lovely walk, the countryside looks so green and lush.

    ReplyDelete
  21. At this time of year in my country, I prefer walking in the rain or when it’s going to rain to under the sun. Your photographs are superb especially in capturing the greenery in such a weather.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  22. Never take advice from a cow 😉 Gorgeous series of images John, the wild poppies are so pretty. You don't have to tell me about ivy, I have it growing on my fences, it puts up a strong fight when trying to keep it in control.. I do like the way it looks though 🌿

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely walk, as always. You can sure capture the beauty of your area. Wish I could grow roses--I love the smell, but the deer eat them before I get to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi John - delightful tour round your neighbourhood. The ivy when flowering provides a lot of nectar at a time when there isn't much - I gather (in winter). I agree the plants have really benefitted from our weather this year ... beautiful. Your cow will always be right, as will we ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).