Thursday 22 July 2021

Jewels And Treasures

Recently it's been what English people call "hot", but I've managed a few short walks and found some of nature's smaller wonders, none that are rare or unusual at this time of year, but all of which pleased me greatly.


A Large Skipper butterfly,
the sort of tiny thing that I often see as it flits across the path,
but seldom stop to look at.


Ragwort
a plant which has a bad reputation as it's said to be poisonous to horses.
However it's a food source for many insects.


A Common Blue Damselfly.
Very common indeed around some of our ponds in July.
But how can all the necessities for life be packed
into such a slender form?

The Red-Eyed Damselfly may be even smaller.


At the side of the water
a young Moorhen waits for its mother to return.
I was hoping it would step on to drier ground where we could see its enormous feet:
they always look like children who have put on their father's boots!


These are the flowers of Traveller's Joy or Clematis vitalba,
also known as Old Man's Beard from its hairy white seed-heads.
Another name is Boy's Bacca because the dry stems can be smoked 
(other harmful substances are available).


A Comma butterfly.


A Ruddy Darter dragonfly.


Young Swallows have fledged but still wait for their parents to feed them.
They'll have to learn quickly, as they'll be flying off to Africa in a couple of months.


Another quick snap then I'll leave them to it.


White butterflies are everywhere
This is a Green-Veined White.


Banded Demoiselles are also abundant
alongside the stream.


There's another one!



Take care.


22 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you wonder about everything a damsel fly needs to function being contained in that slender body. I am always struck by the same thought when I see a stick insect. There is always much to see for the observant eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love damselflies, especially the demoiselle, which almost shimmers above the water. Your photographs evoke the joy of the river in summer. Yesterday I walked past a Buddleia bush in full flower but no butterflies, apparently a shortage this year..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Blue Damselfly is anything but common John it is exquisite! Lots of lovely creatures here for us to enjoy today, merci beaucoup 💙

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely photos, they are indeed jewels and treasures:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those amazing, delicate wings on the dragonfly! Wow!
    These photos are terrific! We get to see so much detail. Thanks, John!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous photos that you showed us today. Love the cute Moorhen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful shots. The little moorhen is all fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm surprised by all the different damselflies you saw while out on your walk. So beautiful. We haven't seen many here this year at all. Interestingly, I mentioned to Roger just the other day that the only butterflies we've seen all summer are Swallowtails. I think a new song could be written, "Where Have All The Butterflies Gone...?" Your photos are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, you see so many beautiful flowers and birds and insects along your walks. I love the photos. Thank you for sharing them, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed with your close ups. I have essential tremor in my hands and to capture something that close up would be a trial for me. Thanks for the nature lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Has captado unas buenas instantánea en el camino. Me fascina la libélula.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Precious jewels, each and every one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You photographed the most beautiful insects. I rarely see any. I always wonder if they are limited by the spraying of crops in adjacent fields. Scary thought!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so impressed by your insect photos. They're so clear and detailed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love dragonflies - you seem to have so many there. Ragwort is a noxious weed here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your 'short walks' paid dividends John! Superb images, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great pictures! I enjoyed those.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love seeing those little insects, you captured them well. My favorite is the Banded Demoiselles.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shots of the many interesting forms of life that you discover on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John - these are gorgeous shots of some jewels and treasures ... thanks so much - I love Boy's Bacca - which I too came across and mentioned last autumn - we've so much to learn from our not so far off ancestors, as well as ancestors. Please carry on with enjoying your walks and posting up for us! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).