Saturday 10 July 2021

Coasting

A gentle stroll along the beach towards Hunstanton cliffs:



The tide along this stretch of coast goes out a long way - it certainly seemed so to my four-year-old legs when I wanted to go for a paddle all those years ago!



There's always plenty of things to look for on the endless sands, even if it's only a strangely patterned rock lying on the ripples left by the departing tide.



Besides the gulls there were a few other seabirds around - Oystercatchers, Curlews, Redshanks, Bar-Tailed Godwits, Ringed Plovers and even an inquisitive Little Egret. But all of them too far away for photographs and some may even have been nesting, high up on the shingle, in a fenced-off area. Terns flew noisily overhead. 



I never tire of seeking out the strange patterns left by the tide.



There was plenty of standing water to splash through as we neared Hunstanton with its lighthouse standing proud on the chalk cliffs. We had thought of going further, but the beach was getting more and more populated. How about an ice-cream?



Luckily there's a place at the edge of Old Hunstanton, down among the beach huts and appropriately named "Old Town Beach Café". A school party was being shown around the lifeboat station.....



So we fled to walk between the beach huts. These little wooden shacks are used by families to store their beach equipment - deckchairs, windbreaks, buckets and spades. They don't look as though they've been used much over the last year and a few were being repainted and repaired. I can spend a long time photographing these colourful little buildings, but not today!



At this time of year there are wild flowers to be enjoyed among the dunes and we can follow the dune-slacks all the way back. One of the beauties of the North Norfolk coastline is that you can often follow either the beach or an alternative route slightly inland.



The little blue flowers are Harebells and that's one of the Hawkweeds shining amongst them like a yellow sun in summer skies. 



This dandy is the caterpillar of the red and black Cinnabar Moth. The caterpillar dines voraciously on Ragwort, a poisonous plant to many creatures. The poison doesn't kill the caterpillar though, but builds up in its tiny body and makes it taste disgusting to any bird that is foolish enough not to be put off by its bright colours. Not only that but the poison remains when the caterpillar turns into the moth, which is likewise protected from predators. The only problem in the Cinnabar Moth's world is that there's a campaign to eradicate Ragwort which happens to also be poisonous to horses.



I somehow neglected to photograph the Pyramidal Orchids but did find this beauty: Marsh Helleborine. It is actually an orchid too and a rather pretty one to my eye.



The path led on through the dunes. Although you only see the occasional insect, if you stop for a moment you realise that there's a constant drone from the little pollinators going about their business.



More Harebells, glowing as they are backlit by the noonday sun.



Orange Hawkbit (or Tawny Hawkweed or Fox-And-Cubs or Flora's Paintbrush or Devil's Paintbrush or Golden Mouse-Ear or Missionary Weed or Red Daisy or Grim-The-Collier) is unmistakeable as it's the only bright orange flower that grows wild in the UK. It's not really native to these shores but has been here for many years.


And this is called Sea Holly, for reasons which should be obvious. I rather like Sea Holly. And now we're nearly back to where we started.



Of course, if you prefer walking on grass to wandering through drifts of wildflowers, you could move a little further inland, pay your subscription and walk here. It's the local golf course. Each to his own.


Take care.


23 comments:

  1. Drift of wildflowers for me. Every time. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always find such beauty to photograph while on your hikes! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have great memories of Hunstanton Cliffs. I saw my only Northern Fulmar in the UK there, drifting along in the updrafts off the cliff. It was especially noteworthy since the bird did not appear intent on going anywhere and seemed content to simply ride the wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen Fulmars on the Northumberland coast when a gale was blowing along the cliffs. The birds were able to hang almost motionless in the air then alight with precision on their particular nesting ledge, apparently unconcerned by the tumult around them. One of the great sights of watching birds.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful walk there, John. I love that pattern left by the tide. I am so glad that you photographed it. What a lovely moment. It's great to see all the flowering colors there too. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow such a beautiful place!Ilove the beach:))I grew up alongside the sea and I too always liked to watch all the things that came from the ocean
    Wonderful to walk there among all the pretty flowers and to sit down an have a cup of tea at that cosy place.
    Today you made a gorgeous post :)

    Happy rest of the weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. the flowers lining the path to the beach are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a nice walk! I enjoyed that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are lovely wildflowers I've never heard of. Does the tide go out so far because of the topography or because of how far north you are. I know in Nova Scotia there are places like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just a very wide, gently sloping beach. In places it can be dangerous because you can get cut off by the incoming tide.

      Delete
  9. My old stamping grounds of sixty odd years ago John - I love that coast. I also love harebells although I always see them as the first hint of Autumn on its way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful, one of my favourite coastal areas. We used to visit often from South Lincolnshire, haven't been for a while. I long to walk on a beach again so thank you for your lovely photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A lovely hike! Does the water come up the beach all the way to those cliffs during the high tide? I am wondering about the erosion that must occur.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always enjoy your walks. I learn something new every time. I never heard of ragwort and I don't think it grows in my area. I did find out the hard way that red maple trees are also poisonous to horses. Our horse survived eating some of the leaves of this tree, but he was very sick for a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure that Ragwort is quite as deadly as most people believe. There was a field in Caldecote that had a lot of it growing and two or three horses lived there happily for years. The woman who ran the Riding School attached to the school where I worked told me that it's only really dangerous when it gets into hay bales as it loses its bitter taste, but not its poisonous quality. The growing plant is normally avoided by horses after the first nibble, which is not enough to cause a major problem.

      Delete
  13. Beautiful photos. I never knew of sea holly. It is quite beautiful. I do hope that you stopped at that little ice cream place to enjoy a nice cold ice cream treat. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting walk this week. We have cinnabar moths in our garden so there must be some ragwort around. Seeing the beach huts makes me smile because all they are just painted sheds that litter the beach side and sell for stupid prices. My wife mentioned getting sea holly for the front of out house where there is manly gravel. Have a look at the Abbey this week https://thechurchexporer.blogspot.com/2021/07/dorchester-abbey-pt-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed all your beautiful wildflower photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I especially enjoyed the beach and the wildflowers! Gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful series of images John, I was hooked from the first shot with the lighthouse in the far distance. Love the colourful little beach houses you have at the seaside over there, have never seen them here. The wildflowers are so pretty, especially the Harebells đź’™

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was comparing and contrasting your area to Cape Cod as I looked at your photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).