Sunday 8 May 2022

Every Mile Tells A Story

The Rules: Go out for a bike ride. After each mile, get off the bike take a photo. You may not lock up the bike, so must always stay close to it. No macro lens, no long telephoto - that would be cheating!



I got my bike from the shed, opened the gate and wobbled off down the road. I was quickly clear of the little cul-de-sac where I live and turned on to the village street. I said "Good morning" to one of my neighbours who was returning home with his Sunday paper. Passed the school where I worked for twenty-odd years, then on past the church - no service today, but warnings of "Messy Church" this afternoon! I think that's what we called Sunday School, but with added paints and glue. And then I stopped at the end of my first mile....



Exactly where I stopped there was a gap in the hedge, which gave a view of the house where the composer Ralph Vaughan Williams stayed on his holidays, back in the early years of the twentieth century. I carried on till I swung into Malton Lane, a fairly minor road with not much on it - this could be an interesting challenge I've set myself. Luckily however....



...it brought me close to Malton Farmhouse and a field of highland cattle, both of which I ignored in favour of a picture of the road and three posts. My route continued between green fields of wheat and a mile of that deposited me near a house called The Retreat.



It always seems a rather lonesome place to live. I pedalled to the village of Orwell, then turned towards Barrington. You won't see any of Orwell, pleasant little place though it is, because I can't get off till I've completed my next mile. And when I did there was nothing much to get off for....



A lot of Cambridgeshire's like this; either large open fields or thick hedges. The monotony of this section was only relieved by a right-angle bend in the middle of nowhere. But, hey, it's only a mile till I get off again...



This is the track down to Trinity Farm. It's right on the edge of Barrington, one of the most picturesque villages in Cambridgeshire, and that's where I'm heading next - through the huge village green with thatched cottages gathered around it, past the village pump, the cricket field, the ponds and the church. And you can't see any of it because it's not time to stop yet. (No, I'm not that cruel; you can see it all in the post I wrote called "A Very English Village").



As luck would have it my next stop was just the other side of Barrington, near where the road crosses the river. There were lots of people out on bikes on this fine morning. As I recommenced my journey another huge group of enthusiastic cyclists sped by, all heads-down and nose to tail, and right on a sharp bend too. If something had been coming the other way......A little further along they were all stopped on the roadside as one of their number was mending a puncture. I crept quietly by, though the urge to say something about hares and tortoises was strong.



Here is where the main Cambridge to London railway crosses one of the Cambridge to London roads. That gate beside the Stop Look Listen sign automatically locks before trains come through. It was installed after a number of accidents and near-misses. I could then ride along the cycleway beside the busy A10 road. I'd soon had enough of that and turned off into Shepreth.



I clocked up the next mile near these meadows where there are often sheep and horses. I carried on through Shepreth, but again didn't get to stop till I had "come out the other side" of the village. My next pause was on the road back into my home village.



I take this to be a field of flax (or linseed), though I didn't go to investigate closely. It's appeared in a small field between the two villages. The wires in the distance are associated with the electric trains that speed through regularly. 



Well, yes, there are picture postcard cottages too. The thatcher has added a straw Pheasant to the ridgeline. I thought I'd like another photo so I took a loop around to get home. I was soon passing signs that said Road Closed, but there's always room for a bike to get through. In fact no roadworks were taking place and if they'd only moved the signs there would have been room for cars too.



Just to show you that we don't all live under roofs of thatch here are some more modern houses, just down the road from me. And if I carry on around the corner, past the school and the shop, I'll soon be home once more.




Take care.

24 comments:

  1. I truly enjoyed this ride with you. Especially liked the Williams house with it's privacy landscaping. I'm really glad you were doing the pedaling and not me, for I am worn out just hitchhiking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! And a terrific post! I especially enjoyed the nice blue sky in most of the photos! Lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very pleasant bike jolly along roads that are familiar to me. My friend used to live at Barrington by the green, sadly she died, but her husband still lives there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great challenge, and well done...let's see, the number of photos equals the number of miles you rode...minus a couple thrown in at the finish...9-10 I'd guess! So glad it's all flat there, no hills or mountains like I have here. I'm reminded of riding my bike on U of FL campus for all 6 years I attended...and how I would do so in all weather! Kind of amazed when looking back at it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And back home again. What pretty countryside you live in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ride. 12 miles was it? Is your house one with thatch?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful challenge you shared with us. And yes, I thought of the hare and the tortoise too...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was quite a lovely and long ride. Thank you for taking us along and sharing all this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfect ride. The fields are so green.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a great idea for a ride and some shots. The shots turned out to be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was only there once, but still love to see photos and remember that lovely countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fun idea for a ride and photos... though I think the pictures you take when not under 'rules' are a tad more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. An interesting exercise, John, and many interesting photographs as a result. It seems to me that Ralph Vaughan Williams (and Elgar too) were quintessential Englishmen and this is exactly the kind of countryside I can imagine him returning to again and again. Maybe in the meadows there was even a lark ascending!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful countryside and a nice ride! We live in a mountainous region. I like cycling, especially the descents, the ascents a little less.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea for a ride and photos like that. I love those thatched roofs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well that was a great bike ride with lots of great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty countryside at this time of the year. The linseed field was intriguing, almost as if it were a leftover from last year.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think you got great views...specially given the rules.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A fantastic exercise. Pedal pushing and photos, well done, John.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great challenge. A bike ride with added interest. Lovely to see those clear blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a super idea, you've captured some lovely images along the way. I love the verges full of Cow parsley:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for taking us along for the ride, John, but we didn't share any of the exercise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).