Friday 13 May 2022

A Seaside Saunter

 A seaside saunter from sunny Salthouse, in fact.



Parking in Salthouse is a free-for-all scramble for any available space around the green. It's busy on a weekday in May - probably best avoided on August Bank Holiday weekend. The cream-coloured building on the right is the village pub, The Dun Cow; but even more to my brother's liking this morning is the sign announcing that Cookie's Crab Shop is open today.



A short stroll beside the coast road brings us to the footbridge over the Catchwater Drain and onto the marshes.



The raised path leads towards the coast, between reedbeds alive with the songs of Sedge Warblers and Reed Warblers.



Glancing back over my shoulder, with Salthouse Church dominating the skyline.



Then we're down on the "beach", which here is a long shingle ridge which stretches for another six miles (9.5 Km) westwards, forming Blakeney Point, which sheltered the old ports of Blakeney Haven from the North Sea gales. It's not a very comfy surface for sunbathing, but the pastime of piling stones on top of the old sea defences is always popular.



The trudge along the shingle (no, we're not doing anything like the full six-miles!) is relieved by occasional clumps of Sea Campion.



Or cast your eyes inland across the marshes, towards the village of Cley and with Blakeney Church appearing on the horizon. The shallow pools, which are home to many birds, are all that's left of the channel which once allowed Salthouse to be a port. The distant figures are walking along the bank which leads between Arnold's Marsh and the Cley bird reserve. That's where we're heading.



The path leads us back to the coast road and the bank of gorse which bears the name of Walsey Hills. Now it may not look like much to you (apart from being so colourful), but to a migrating bird it's a vital oasis, providing shelter to recuperate after an exhausting sea crossing. For ornithologists it's a place to trap, weigh, count and then release birds, gaining insights into their movements which inform attempts at conservation.



From here there's a path leading beside and across agricultural land, all the way back to our starting point.



I've been walking paths like this all my life and like to think I can recognise most things I see, but then I find this. An elderly gentleman was coming our way, lets ask him if he knows what it is. "Ah, have you heard the cuckoo this morning? Wonderful to hear them, isn't it? I've heard a number of them today. One of my favourite birds..." and so on and so on. But he did answer my question.....eventually. Any ideas?



And there's the church appearing on the horizon. Not far now.



And we're back to Cookie's Crab Shop. If your looking for my brother Les, you won't see him; he's inside buying his crab. On our way home there's just time to stop on Salthouse Heath where the gorse should be in full bloom.












That's all for now,


Take care.


27 comments:

  1. I love these posts and pictures. The landscape is so different to what I'm used to - flatter, dry verges already. I would love to go there, but thanks for the photos in the meantime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely seaside saunter around Salthouse - no idea what that rusty image could be! But look forward to learning the answer. Hope brother Les enjoyed his Cookie's crab.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will have to give me the answer to the question, for I have no idea? I would have very much enjoyed hearing the cuckoo, however, and maybe I could have cajoled Les into sharing his crab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also clueless and waiting for you to educate me/us.
    I loved walking with you - and would like it even more if I could be there in the too, too solid flesh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No idea what thetumbledown construction is John but it will not be upright much longer without some tlc. As usual lovely pictures and for once along familiar landmarks as I love the area dearly - but alas no more visits I am sad to say. Would love a crab sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if that was a castle before it was a church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly always been a church, though it would be an excellent place to build a castle.

      Delete
  7. Looks a good area to visit John, especially the path where the Warblers are.
    I never made it that far along that coastline unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had some good meals at Cookies. Loved this walk, John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorse is beautiful! Love seeing the marshlands, half water, half land. Me too, some crab would be welcome, and what's the sculpture all about? Cuckoos?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the nice hike, John! The pictures are terrific. You will have to let us know about the triangle/circle thing as now we are all curious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a lovely walk there. Lovely marshlands, which look a bit like the marsh here, but we don't have any castles.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You get lots of great photos on a good walk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the photos especially the third and fifth. The yellow blooms are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks like one of those places that remains unspoilt and how it should be

    ReplyDelete
  15. I thought for sure you'd tell us at the end of your post. Is it leftover from WWII? or was it a channel marker now high and dry? We just are back from a walk in the woods around a fen. I mentioned to Dan that our walk looks nothing like the places you walk. Here the woods are so young and there are no dedicated right of way pathways to follow like you have in UK. I'll share photos of my walk soon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So many great “ birdy” places!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for another interesting post. We wondered whether the structure could be a channel marker from when it was a port

    ReplyDelete
  18. Always fun to visit the seaside! We have gorse on our coast too and it's in bloom right now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nope. No ideas about that structure. Now you have to let us know! This was a truly interestng walk. Thanks for taking me along. I could hear the warblers, really I could.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John - oh oh oh ... I fancy Cookie's Crab Shop ... my thoughts are and mouth is watering! Wonderful wanderings with you both - always happy to join you ... happy Spring days by the seaside ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks like such a fun day! What a beautiful place to walk.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your suggestion in your comment on my blog. I did google sharpening stones and I think you may be right. I sent the photos to the Historical Society here to see if others have identified similar stones.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can’t believe you didn’t indulge in some crab along with your brother. I would have been stopping in in hopes of a bowl she-crab soup. The gorse is spectacular! And I’ve no idea what the strange object is but I’m glad you found out and I hope you tell us soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely walk! The pictures are wonderful! I'm looking forward to hear the answer. 

    ReplyDelete
  25. I didn't get as far as Blakeney Point on my North Norfolk venture but I did buy some local crab which was delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).