Saturday 12 September 2020

A River Stour Scrapbook (part one)

The River Stour seeps up to the surface in a field in Cambridgeshire, flows on through picturesque villages and the town of Sudbury, birthplace of the artist Thomas Gainsborough, before continuing to Dedham Vale, made famous by the paintings of John Constable. So it's no surprise that, as it nears he end of its journey, its estuary is one of the more attractive ones along the North Sea coast of East Anglia. Here are a collection of views and curiosities to be found along the southern shore of the river mouth, interspersed with plenty of pictures of boats.


This stretch along the estuary side has several nature reserves,
none of which may be nationally known though all are well worth a visit.
Above is the scene from Wrabness Reserve which has a much
less peaceful past - it was once the site of a mine depot, from which the navy
planted wartime mines, and afterwards carried out the important business
of making them safe again.


It's not really the ideal time of year to see lots of birdlife;
many more waders and ducks will be present during the winter months.


Like many coastal locations in the UK there's a few rough shacks to be seen.
These were built before the days of planning regulations by 
those wanting to escape the cities at weekends and do a little boating.
Many of us would secretly like to own such a place.


I rather like the informality of it all.


It may look untidy, though I think most of what you see above 
are improvised moorings and anchors for small boats.


It all looks rather grander on the other side of the estuary.
Can you see the long, low building with the central tower?
Pass the binoculars, will you?


Certainly!
That's the Royal Hospital School which does not, as you might suppose,
educate sick children or even train people in the medical profession.
Historically it used to train boys to be sailors.
Nowadays it's co-educational and provides a much wider education,
though it still maintains strong links with the Navy.


As we were walking along we met a man walking his dog and asked
 him if we could walk along the beach where no path was marked.
He told us we could then added that we should look at the low cliffs as
you could see the volcanic layer "from right back when the world was made"!


It all sounded very unlikely and all we found were layers of sedimentary rocks.
But when I got home I checked out his story in my geology books.
He wasn't entirely wrong either. In among the layers of mud and sands, that
make up these rocks, there are thin layers of volcanic ash which are thought 
to have originated from eruptions as far away as Scotland.
Never ignore what you are told by men walking their dogs!


There are even stranger things to be found around here
but they'll have to wait for the next time.

I'll finish by showing you the extreme lengths that my brother Les
will go to to remain hidden from wildlife...

No, not really!
He'd just found a comfy place to sit and eat his sandwiches,
but he gradually slid down into a little hollow
 until all I could see from where I was sitting
was his head.


Take care.

23 comments:

  1. I wouldn't like to call that rough shack home John - but it doesn;t half make a good photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An area with many pretty scenes. It looks very peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a chuckle with that photo of your brother. Some of your photos look like paintings. Look forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, the pic of your brother is a classic. The Royal Hospital School is an astonishing building that hardly looks as though it belongs there - but what a great place. I like the untidiness of much of the estuary. There's 'untidy' and unsightly and it is the former rather than the latter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots to see and you showed many beautiful scenes. I like the boats on the shore just sitting there waiting for their next time out. The shack is interesting, I like your photo of it. Looking forward to part 2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love such seashore walks! Looking forward to the next part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful photographs especially the one with the 'rough shack'. What a beautiful place to walk:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your photos of the coastline and the boats. I too would love a "rough shack" at the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heart balm. Which I have grown to expect from your posts. Thank you. And yes, add me to the list of those who would love a rough shack there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Me too. I'd love a little shack by the water. I like the expression "heart balm." This was such a pleasant and peaceful walk. I can't wait for the next part. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have an eye for great scenic shots John.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these scenes by the water. The blues are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks wonderful. If I ever make it to the U.K. again (which is unlikely at present) I would love to explore coast of the East Anglia.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can't go wrong with nautical scenes like these John, what's that expression 'there's nothing as fun as messing about in boats' 😉💙

    ReplyDelete
  15. The lesser known nature reserves may well be more rewarding than some of the more renowned areas such as those administered and operated by the RSPB, and might be less crowded too. I just spent five minutes racking my brain and I can't think of an instance at any time in my life where I know of two brothers still going for walks together so late in life. I am sure that you and Les must be unique.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely walk and photos. It's nice to look at these and dream about being able to walk outside again once the unhealthy air from the fiery smoke has gone. May be a few more days. Until then, I'll be reminded of such beauty by looking at your photos one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. As much as I enjoy your nature walks, John, this post about a water walk was just as enjoyable. I would have thought that the Royal Hospital School would have been for medical use not as a training school for sailors. Interesting to learn about the volcanic layers too which goes to show you can always learn something new and interesting. Your brother was well hidden.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really think you have an artist eye! I have so loved these shots, and so many I could see as a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The small boats waiting for the next tide are so colorful. A birder can appreciate your brother's position.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Several of these pictures would make fabulous watercolor paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi John - love the story line ... and it does look just amazing. The dog man story was interesting - and I'm glad you confirmed (to a point of ash) his story ... take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).