Tuesday 26 May 2020

Village Tour

A day of cloudless skies and light breeze, ideal for a spin on the bicycle through the nearby villages, large and small.



Plenty of others had similar ideas, which tempted me on to some of the less obvious minor byways, including the one to the village of Abington Pigotts.



One man was out jogging, but the rest of the population of 162 were nowhere to be seen.



There are several tiny villages in this corner of Cambridgeshire, including:
      Whaddon (population 481)
      Arrington (415)
      Wimpole (381)
      Croydon (235)
      Hatley (181)
      Tadlow (178)
       and Wendy, which together with neighbouring Shingay amounts to 139 souls.
      That's to say nothing about Malton, which is now just a farm and a couple of houses, and Clopton which has completely disappeared.



Abington Pigotts does have a lovely little church, situated down a quiet side road.



The village name, Abington, derives from "the settlement of a man called Abba", while the Pigotts suffix comes from the Pigott family who owned the manor here for centuries. The local publican has had a bit of fun with the name.....


It was known as the Darby And Joan till the 1980s.


Like every other pub in the country it's closed for business for now because of Corona virus restrictions.


Someone was watching me from over the garden hedge so I pedalled onwards.


On my way homewards I couldn't resist having another look at that field of peonies that I showed you a few days ago.


Some more of the dark red variety have opened up since last time we were here.


Take care.






22 comments:

  1. Thank you for this incredible beauty. And oh, that peonie field...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful bike ride through this lovely area John and I didn't even have to lift foot to pedal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all looks really lovely, peaceful and timeless. It has been a perfect time for cyclists to enjoy the freedom of the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful bike ride, John. Thank you for doing the pedalling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who can resist visiting a village with a name like Abington Pigotts? If my journey took me anywhere close I would have to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John - I'd been going past that field of peonies every day ... it must be stunning to see. Great pub name ... Pig and Abbot ... love it - while fascinating that the villages carry on - must be so idyllic. Gorgeous - thank you ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, those peonies are so beautiful. That looks like some lovely countryside you were riding through.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The peonies were a colorful ending to the ride. It would have been even better to have stopped in at The Pig & Abbott for a pint. Just today I watched a BBC online report of how much the pubs are being missed due to the continued shutdowns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful bike ride. I love vicariously exploring the countryside there. It's so beautiful. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a glorious area for a ride! One wonders when pubs will again be open.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely idyllic! Beautiful photos, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh the peonies! My favourites.

    I don’t recognize that species of bird!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are serious peonies! Looks like you had a lovely day for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty and summery!

    Those peonies are stunning !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for taking us along on your tour! Lovely villages and flower garden!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely, I've enjoyed your cycle ride. I love the village names and the pub's take on the village name Abbington Pigotts. I think I would have hurried by that rather menacing looking bird although it looks a fine sculpture. Great to see the poppy fields again:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such an interesting bird! Those peonies are gorgeous. This was such a beautiful area to ride through. Thank you. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can’t imagine a whole FIELD of peonies! They must about knock you off your bicycle with their intoxicating scent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would never be able to resist a field of peonies John, I would be sorely tempted to take a few home.. of course I wouldn't though 😉😉 What a perfectly divine English spring day for your ride 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great setting for a bike ride.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).