Sunday 24 May 2020

This Verdant Land

Everything was looking very green when I went out for a stroll on Sunday morning. No need to head for the beach or to any popular beauty spots; I can find plenty of things to photograph within just a couple of miles of home. 



I went on a walk I've done many times before and found much had inevitably changed since last time I passed this way.



The Manx Loaghtan sheep were back on Shepreth Moor.



The little streams were fast disappearing beneath the sudden surge of plant growth.



Wild Iris or Flags were blooming in many ditches and waterways.



I couldn't resist a close-up.



Cow Parsley lined the banks and a little Water Crowfoot was flowering down on the water. In many places it was impossible to see the stream for all the vegetation.



A fallen twig from a Beech tree provided a contrast to all the green.



The fallen tree, which bridges the watercourse, is rapidly being hidden by ivy.



Reeds by the water's edge give interesting sweeping lines.



A rather picturesque old barn by the roadside.



Sun shining through the Sycamore leaves.



And finally one of those tunnels through the trees that people always seem to like.

That's enough to keep me interested during a five-and-a-half mile walk before my Sunday lunch.


Take care.


17 comments:

  1. Just glorious. In my own sunburned (and sometimes sunblasted) land to see so much greenery is a rare treat.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! A very pleasant walk :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no more perfect time of the year is there John?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the new bright green is so refreshing. I'm a big fan of tunnel paths :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so lush and green. That is an interesting looking sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos. This is such a beautiful time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love that last...that tunnel through the trees! and that old barn is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to spend Sunday morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John - as you say just glorious ... always being led on with beautiful scenes. Wonderful photos ... love the close up of the 'flag' ... and the Manx sheep - just gorgeous ... and lunch afterwards ... sounds good. Enjoy this summery weather - take care ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks and sounds like a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a wonderful walk, and doubtless worked up an appetite for lunch. Even putting aside concerns about Covid-19, it is so much better than being cheek by jowl with thousands of others on crowded beaches. What pleasure people derive from that has remained a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my, such beautiful photos! I love those yellow Dutch Iris. They are so beautiful against all that lush greenery. Don't stop walking, I'm really enjoying these walks with you. Thank you so much. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such a beautiful walk you just took us on, John. Thank you for that. The colors and lines, curves and light all so very lovely and serene.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful walk. I love the old barn and the Manx Loaghtan sheep is pretty impressive. Thank you for sharing with us, John.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was great! - 5+ mile hike with wonderful photos to share. I really enjoyed that and I thank you for taking the time to share it. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of green, John, which had me humming Kermit the Frog’s tune about the color of green. Of course, we do have more green and colors here, but it has been a much slower process. You have also had cooperative weather on this ride.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My kind of walk. Even though I love the shore having grown up there, the countryside is still my favorite, especially now when one can capture such snippets of beauty - such as your reeds, iris and sycamore leaves. Thanks for sharing the English countryside with us John.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).