Monday 11 May 2020

A Sunny Stroll

I said in my last post that I was about to go out on a stroll, and the little road I'll show you today is just the start of my wander. It's a road I often follow as it opens up a couple of possibilities to follow fieldside paths to make a longer walk. It was also a place I often walked with the children who used wheelchairs at the school where I used to work.



The sign at the start of the road tells motorists to watch out for pedestrians and I'm happy to report that they usually do; it's only the residents who use this little dead-end lane.


There are some well-kept gardens along here.


And a few old buildings like the old granary above which stands near to...



….the old farmhouse above.


It's all looking very leafy at the moment.


There's quite a mixture of housing along here - old and new, large and small are scattered at various distances from the roadside.


A very small commemoration of the 75th anniversary of VE Day attached to a British Telecom pole.


The road starts to peter out here, and there are just a couple more houses. Crossing the road in the foreground is all that remains of a tramway that connected a cement and lime works to the main railway.


There's an apple orchard just here, which I photographed through a hole in the hedge a couple of weeks ago when the trees were covered in blossom.



Now it's the Hawthorn or May blossom that's stealing the show as the road becomes a narrow footpath between the hedges.



There are a few places where you can glimpse the arable fields which are the main land-use these days.


And that's it!


Take care.

28 comments:

  1. Some of those old building give the feeling of stepping back in time. It looks like you had a fine sunny day for this walk, John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine the smell of the May blossom. Otherwise I walked with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always a pleasure to take these walks in the English countryside with you John. Love the commemoration on the BT pole 💜💙

    ReplyDelete
  4. The hawthorn must be beautiful. Is it also fragrant, John?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful sunny day for a walk there. Love these photos, John, they make me want to take this walk too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place to walk...the orchard was sure beautiful. I messed around and did not get by either orchard in bloom. The one I worked at is not far, it is small, and up north there is one that I think is 600 acres.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh such a beautiful lane to walk! I loved taking this stroll with you. Years ago, I used to work with the same young folks and we spent many a day picnicking at the local park. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John - looks completely blissful ... gentle and very countrylike. Delightful - thank you so much!! Take care - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all looks so peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice, a wonderful place to live

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful spring blooms for a lovely wander!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It’s always a pleasure to walk with you and see what you see. The blossoming trees are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of beauty to see and enjoy.
    Thanks, John!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There are no leaves out here at all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I envy you all those lovely walks

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely walk to take us on this morning, thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That was a lovely walk, so glad you invited me along. The blossoms on the orchard are lovely. Here in my corner of Canada we have had cold windy days and even some snow in May and the blossoms are hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I so enjoyed this walk with you John - reminds me of my growing up years in Devon when walking through the lanes and villages was my favorite thing to do. Then when I got a bike at age 11 I rode for hours every Summer's day through the countryside.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very pleasant walk!
    The hawthorn has just started flowering over the past few days here :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's very pretty. The smell of hawthorn is all pervading in some places round here

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad to have taken a walk about with you on an obviously nice day, John. Here in Nashua, NH it’s been bouts of rainy, overcast and windy weather. Spring seems to have bypassed us for awhile to come.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, those apples trees are gorgeous! I bet they smelled good, too. Our first home together was an old farmhouse in an apple orchard in Wisconsin and they were lovely when they bloomed.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It all looks so lush now. The May blossom is coming out here too, and I keep getting the scent of lilac, often even before I can locate the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  24. A lovely walk and beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I want to live in a place like that. Wonderful images.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).