Friday 4 March 2022

Thyme

Somehow, despite the very pedestrian pace of my life, I missed the sad news that the English singer, Norma Waterson, passed away on 30th January this year (the anniversary of my Dad's death, as it happens).

Norma Waterson (15 August 1939 – 30 January 2022)

Norma, her sister Lal and brother Mike were brought up by their grandmother, Eliza Ward, who was descended from an Irish travelling family and knew many old songs. The young Watersons eventually sang together in the early folk clubs in the 1960s. The group formed and re-formed over the years but was always a family affair, more recently also featuring Norma's husband, Martin Carthy, and their daughter Eliza.

In recent years Norma had health problems which restricted her in many areas of life, though somehow she always managed to sing. Here she is, flanked by Martin and Eliza, and with other family and friends supplying harmonies:


I only ever knew them through their many recordings and live performances, but such was the warmth and honesty of everything they sang that, like many others, I thought of them all as old friends. 


Take care.

13 comments:

  1. I enjoyed the video. Norma sang from the heart. Beautiful. Thank you for introducing me to her music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely folk singing, reminds me of many Appalachian songs...which of course were carried across the waters with Scotts and Irish immigrants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful song to listen to this morning as the sun was rising over the coast range here. Thank you for posting this link, and introducing us to her music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with them either John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of her but like the video. She has a nice voice. Now I will have to search for some more songs. Thanks, John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too was not familiar with Norma but I appreciated seeing this video, John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She has a lovely voice. Sad day. We lost Shane Warne the famous cricketer today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. émouvant ce chant en public * merci

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi John - thanks for this introduction to Norma - she had a lovely voice - while the family obviously have lots of memories of folk music, which I'm sure they treasure. Loved her singing - thank you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never heard of her, but she had a lovely voice. Beautuful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her singing gave me goosebumps. Thanks for posting her video, John.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).