Friday 18 June 2021

Three Times A Maybe

Sometimes I go out with a pre-conceived idea of what I might see and photograph (and you probably have some inkling of what to expect when you click on this blog too). But just occasionally I see a scene or a detail that I wasn't expecting and, even more infrequently, this might lead to a series of pictures; though not usually enough for a post of the length that I like. Let me show you what I mean:

Abstract: 

"Horizonto"

For me the term "abstract" means that you can't really tell what it is, but that it suggests something which it clearly isn't (!).

"Cadence"

These kind of pictures don't turn up very often. While I'm waiting for the next one lets have a look at something else....


Noontime Trees:


Bright, sunny days are not the best for photographing in woodland, particularly when everything is the overwhelming green of mid-summer. Might it work out better in black-and-white?







Fallen Beauty:

Last year I found a whole field of peonies which, because of a shortage of workers, or perhaps because florists were closed by the pandemic rules, had been left unharvested. This year the farmer has opened up his fields for the public to "pick their own". It all looks very colourful, but I ended up taking exactly the same shots that I took a year ago. That is until I glanced down on the ground at the fallen petals and a few flowers that had been discarded and trampled underfoot.





















OK, I'll admit it, peonies probably look better when they are their full glory beneath a blue, sunny sky.



Take care.


25 comments:

  1. Thee photos certainly are different! Yet, interesting! Th peonies are gorgeous. I have some that color in my garden. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always good to engage in a little creative experimentation and your results are very pleasing,John. As for peonies, ours are in full bloom right now, propped up by a cage lest they fall to the ground burdened by their own top-heaviness, and they are glorious! But only for a few days. Beauty, as is so often the case, is ephemeral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed seeing your faded glory vignettes taken whilst in a field of peonies - discarded maybe, but nicely captured forever by you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The black and white images are delightful, a good idea!

    The Peony in the last image is a beauty, well photographed John!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am curious about the abstract photos. I am wondering what they actually are. You are a photographic artist, John!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, John. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful shots! The live peony is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a difference from your usual fare. The black and white ones in the woods are stunning. Fallen peonies? Not to my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for these very different (and beautiful) perspectives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very creative photos, John. I love the black and whites and the abstract images. Very nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is great to change things up a bit every now and then! I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always fun to read your posts and see your pictures. You have an eye for uniqueness and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I could just smell those peonies. They must not grow in the South as I’ve haven’t seen them since I left my garden in Minnesota.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Couldn't leave a comment on the previous post but I really enjoyed the pictures especially the dragonflies and damselflies, and the bee orchid. Really interesting photos of the peonies.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those fallen Peony petals make a fascinating pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You photographed the sunny summer forest more artistically. The beauty of fallen petals in each stage of withering is superb. I like the caption“Cadence” to that abstract photo. Did you think of it intuitionally? As I see your experimental attitude, I feel like that I’m stuck in a rut in my photography.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi John - fascinating to see these ... the midday woodland is just a wonderful shot ... but peonies ... ooooh I love those!! Enjoy the weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very inspiring! Of course, the peony on the last picture is very beautiful, but the fallen peonies are something special.

    ReplyDelete
  19. beautiful ideas to explore other universes especially even faded peonies can be inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The trampled peonies are far more beautiful than I had imagined they could possibly be, especially with the fuzzy edges added to the pictures. Oh how I would love to wander through a field of pick your own peonies, that would be a lifetime experience to remember! Ahhhhhhh........

    ReplyDelete
  21. Despite being trodden on, the peonies did create some striking images, John. Of course, the one in full bloom was lovely too, but I actually preferred the ones that were past their prime. Also, the B&W images made for a nice change of pace from your usual walk images.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do love a good abstract John, love the first two shots. Black and white did indeed counter the too green situation well. A whole field of unharvested peonies makes me both happy and sad.. they must have look amazing en masse in the field but then all those vases on tables unfilled by peonie fabulousness :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think les and john make most things intresting to look at !!!! Congrats boys very intresting. Regards john b

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).