Monday 1 February 2021

Another Day, Another Walk

Exactly the same but different. I left home early once again, enjoyed the way the day dawned, then found some little details that interested me on my homeward journey, just like in my last post. But I headed in the opposite direction and there was no mist. Lets go!



The full moon shone through a sky that was clear as a bell. And that's the name of the thatched cottage, the Old Bell, and long ago it was one of the villages many pubs.


But soon I was heading across the fields beneath a fiery sky. It was at its best a full half-hour before sunrise proper. The tractor ruts were full of ice as a result of all the rain of the past week and the frosty night.


The chaotic lattice of bare branches against the dawn sky made for an unusual photo.


In the opposite direction the skies were more subtle pastel shades and the (almost) full moon was still very visible. There's a firmly held belief among some people that a full moon somehow causes a sharp frost, whereas it is of course the clear sky that makes the moon visible and allows the ground to cool.
 


I don't think I've ever shown you Sheen Mill, once one of several watermills hereabouts and now a posh restaurant. A little further along I saw my first human (and dog) of the day and we congratulated each other on our impeccable taste in being out on this fine morning before continuing in opposite directions.


Eventually the sun rose above the horizon as I marched across a hard-frozen field. Today's early morning sky-show was more or less over.


The low-angled sunlight lit up the tree growing on a small mound, which is actually a Bronze Age burial mound, so it's been greeting the dawn for maybe 3,500 years. 


Old leaves still persist in some of the sheltered hollows and were prettily etched by the frost.


I know this sounds absurd, but I wander over to look at this old man-hole cover every time I pass this way and usually attempt the same photo. This morning there was just enough frost to pick out some of the details while allowing the rich colours to still be seen. Little things....


And, at this time of year at least, I keep an eye open for this little clump of snowdrops which is usually among the earliest to bloom. Spring can't be too far off.


Aha! Another little sunrise, courtesy of a boot-print frozen into the mud! It must be time this crazy old fellow went home. But before I go here's a few photos from last week when my brother and I took the short drive from his house to Fen Drayton Lakes for a spot of bird watching.....



There was a lot more "lake" than usual and we couldn't even get to the car park as the approach road was under water. We followed everyone else's example and parked by the roadside and gazed across the flooded fields.


Among the large flock of Greylag Geese were three or four White-Fronted Geese. As you can see it's just the front of the head that is white. There are always a few of these migratory geese that come to the East of England every year, but they usually stay on the coast where they join the huge flocks of Pink-Footed Geese. This year, for some reason only so far known to the geese themselves, they've come further inland. If they'd just come a bit nearer to the camera we'd all be happy!


This must be something like the whole of the fens used to look every winter before all the drainage schemes were completed. Happily for those who live in Fenland the floods are confined to a few wild areas and, apart from a few flooded roads, life is able to go on as normal.

A birder's list: 
Fen Drayton Lakes RSPB (flooded)      29/01/2021
Distance walked:  3.6 miles
Birds seen: Collared Dove, Wood Pigeon, Rook, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Magpie, Black-Headed Gull, Yellowhammer, Blackbird, Fieldfare, Redwing, Lapwing, Robin, Cetti's Warbler (heard), Great Tit, Blue Tit, Long-Tailed Tit, Dunnock, Cormorant, White-Fronted Goose, Great White Egret, Grey Heron, Greylag Goose, Goldeneye, Coot, Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Teal, Pochard, Shoveler, Mallard, Mute Swan, Pheasant, Green Woodpecker, Wigeon, Great Crested Grebe, Meadow Pipit, Kestrel, House Sparrow.
Animals: Rabbit.


Take care.


32 comments:

  1. Beautiful walk John, it's nice to see the day emerging, what time did you start? I like the manhole cover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I don't usually emerge until about 8 but I might make an effort one day to get out earlier!

      Delete
  2. That is a glorious sky, John, a great start to the beginning on a pre-dawn walk. I was interested to see Great White Egret on your bird list. This species is becoming more and more common in the UK and I expect that it may be on the way to colonization much as Little Egret has already done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John - gorgeous photos and views of your local fields and views ... and that manhole cover ... amazing plants enjoying it's relief. Enjoy Spring a-coming ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. The man-hole has numerous weeds/wild flowers growing in and around it, it is surprising what we can miss at times. Well spotted and keep on wandering over to it!
    A great selection of early morning scenes and your bird list is a great one! I haven't heard a Cetti's Warbler for a while now, a lovely bird to hear and occasionally catch sight of!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to walk with you this morning. Where I'm sitting on our great blue ball there are clouds but no snow or rain, which was forecast. Weather people are pretty right on most of these days, so I was surprised this morning that we haven't received a drop. Loved seeing your snowdrops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a lovely walk to have from your doorstep, I love early mornings before everyone else gets out and about. You saw a wonderful collection of birds too:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That morning sky is so beautiful, surely worth getting up early for! So many lovely photos and I did download a few to use for notecards. People so enjoy getting notes in the mail these days (not junk mail and not bills!).
    The man-hole cover reminded me of quilt squares filled with sweet plants! The frost-tipped leaves and the snowdrops and your descriptions ("The chaotic lattice of bare branches against the dawn sky")- just perfect!! Thanks so much for another awesome walk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful sunrise walk there. Love seeing those colors in the lattice of tree branches. And frosty bootprints become a work of art. I love how you see the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the sunrise photos! And this was at 7 am? I guess being farther north, dawn comes later for you. How neat to live close to a burial mound. Has it been excavated at all? Have you done a blog on what is known of its history? Please let me know so I can read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunrise on Sunday morning was actually at 07:43, but the best of the colour was before that time. I don't think this particular mound has been excavated but others in this area have been. I wrote about it here:
      https://bystargooseandhanglands.blogspot.com/2011/09/moundtop-ruminations.html
      (I seem to have quoted its age as various dates within the Bronze Age, probably just a reflection of different accounts I've read).

      Delete
  10. Your photos are wonderful. I especially love the ones showing the sky with all its corals, pinks and yellows. Simply beautiful. Thank you for sharing. You have a great day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photos are wonderful. And, I like your thoughtful way of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty sunrise! Loved the frosty leaves too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful sunrise. I love the tree growing on a small mound, the light is beautiful shining on it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joli ce ciel aux multiples couleurs ..j'aime beaucoup ta page

    ReplyDelete
  15. The sunrise pics are so beautiful! I always look forward to the Snowdrops too but it will be a few more weeks until we see them here. Plus the snow needs to melt first.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huge thanks.
    I relish walking with you. It is a few hours till dawn here (a damp one). I wonder what it will bring...

    ReplyDelete
  17. That sunrise and how it lit the sky is quite something. Thanks for taking me along.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sometimes I think you live in a landscape of lakes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The light in the early morning shots is so worth the early rise John, stunning, particularly the tree on the Bronze Age burial mound. Have just watched a movie called 'The Dig' with Ralph Fiennes, have you seen it, definitely worth a watch ✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the film but I am familiar with the story of the dig, which occurred not so far from here at Sutton Hoo in Suffolk. It's on my list of places to include on my blog at some time when we can travel more freely once again.

      Delete
  20. Your fascination with that old manhole cover doesn't seem absurd at all to me.

    I like your photographic accounts of early morning walks (I've done it myself round here occasionally). I'm reminded of John Rogers' weekly YouTube walking films, which I've been glued to since last March!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the morning sky...and the one where the top of the tree is painted in sunlight...as well as those leaves that follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That manhole cover is fascinating. So many little plants. I love the one of the branches against the pink sky, the etched leaves, and that burial mound. 3500 years. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So worth going out early... Sadly, I hardly ever manage to make myself get up and out. But then I enjoy your photos even more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You took some great shots John.
    Didn't they walk on Stilts those fenlanders.:))

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow i see the snow bells are coming atyour place !So nice!!i long to see such spring signs.Lovely photoes all of them.I am looking at the history of England right now on tele the kings and queens.How I love king Ecbert!

    wish you all good and please stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely photos. Specially I like the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the well wishes on my recent birthday, John, as I believe you were one of the first who commented. It was a quiet day spent at home and I was thankful for the well wishes from bloggers, family and friends.
    I liked how you saw the little things along this walk. Sometimes they can be the most photographic images as you have shown here.
    I read a precious comment about the burial mounds in Suffolk at Sutton Hoo and have also seen the Netflix film, "The Dig" which tells about the discoveries there. I also checked online to see the finds in the British Museum and one day it would be great to visit the museum, when we can travel and it reopens. How fortunate that you live so close by to the actual dig site.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).