Sunday 14 February 2021

Sharp Frosts And Chilly Winds

 .....and not too many people about on my early morning walks.



Some mornings I've been pulling on my boots before daylight, though not every day, I'll admit.
On the days I've viewed proceedings from the kitchen window, while preparing my porridge, the sky has performed some technicolour acrobatics, though when I've been out the shades have been subtle and hard to capture - it's tricky to maintain the faint pinks in the sky and the bluish tinge of the pre-dawn light while still showing the whiteness of the hoar frost.


Some of the recent flooding remains and passing traffic has thrown spray over the roadside vegetation, giving some exotic ice-sculpture. I used to see this sort of thing alongside waterfalls in the days when I used to lead Christmas holiday walks in Wales.


The familiar farm track near Moor End gave chilly views to the south.


Plants and bubbles were trapped under the thin ice in this sheltered spot.


Passing the "tractors' graveyard", I noticed a hole in the hedge and poked my camera through to take a few pictures. The composition, with the two disc-harrows in the foreground, is pure chance; I was able to choose the framing but not the viewpoint. I keep hoping I'll one day see the farmer and ask if I can go in and photograph some of these rusting machines.


On the way back I took the frozen, muddy track alongside Shepreth Moor, which is still largely under water - or under ice, to be more accurate. The frost was still persisting, as it would all day.


And those are the only satisfactory photos I have to show you of my recent wanderings.


*******

We haven't had many music selections recently so here's a little tune that sums up our lives at the moment.

There are many forms of protest music apart from the obvious protest movement of the sixties. A lot of old blues music is a protest in that it remains jaunty, despite the terrible conditions at the time. For decades there were few black people willing to sing the blues at all, as it was seen to be representative of their past enslavement. But there have always been a few who were willing to celebrate this music, and one of the more recent ones to appear is Jontavious Willis, here singing his adaptation of a 1950s song for the modern day (the original was about dangers from Communists).


You could be having a good day
As jolly as you can be
I bet you'll get the blues when you turn on the TV...


Take care.




30 comments:

  1. If you are going to continue with these frosty walk, John, we'll have to get Bernie Sanders to send you mittens. Probably not good for a photographer though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John - gosh I bet it was cold out there ... you've caught the 'coldness' of our recent weather-times. I too hope you'll get a chance to get into the tractors' graveyard - looks interesting ...
    Jontavious Willis - thanks for introducing us to him ... amazing 'youngster' ... I'll keep my eye out for more of his music ...
    All the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever come across Christy Moore's stuff - I love it. Haven't heard of him for ages - wonder if he has died. I must look him up on my computer after I have finished on my blog today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love Christy's music too. In fact I included a very old video of him here: https://bystargooseandhanglands.blogspot.com/2020/03/music-soothes.html
      As you've probably found out he's still performing, at the age of 75.

      Delete
  4. The frozen countryside is such an unusual sight from your area. You captured it beautifully. The farm equipment is a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are awesome. The colors in the morning sky are showing through, and the ice on the grasses and plants is so very interesting. Happy Valentine's Day to you. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Icy cold weather does make for some beautiful picturesque scenery. Love these photos, John.
    I enjoyed listening to that music. Reminds me I should maybe post some songs on the blog someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shot through the hole in the hedge is fabulous John. Your weather and my weather is like chalk and cheese, wouldn't mind swapping for a few days 😊 Enjoyed the video, both music and vision.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The frosty pics are great! It is really cold and windy here so not a great time for a wander.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great frosty photos. An early morning walk offers its beauty to those who are out and about. A fine job, John!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for braving the frost, the wind and the chill. And for the beauty you share.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are braver than myself, John, and I am thankful that you did go out on this walk because the hoar frost was beautiful and so glad you shared here. Hopefully, one day you will see the farmer because that tractor collection would be fascinating to see close-up and take photos. The music was enjoyable as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your frozen walk. I look forward to listening to the music later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Magical! The beauties of Winter weather.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There was a time when I was young that you could guarantee a winter like that every year but now all you can look forward to is a little frost and mostly rain

    ReplyDelete
  15. Living here in the south we've often enjoyed local live 'blues' - this was fabulous and I'll be listening to it often. He got it right though - let's not turn on the TV, especially the fake news programs which really do ruin the day!
    As for the landscape, oooh it looks so very cold with all that ice.
    Stay warm, it's Valentine's Day and a mug of hot chocolate is required after a walk such as that one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Frost does add a beautiful touch to things.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks so cold, John--and very like our days here recently. The ice has been coating the trees and shrubs now since Thursday, and more ice is on the way. Snow still on the ground since Wednesday. It's been a strange week, and the one upcoming looks to be the same.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are in a cold snap for sure. Us too. We have two storms coming this week one after another. I enjoy tagging along on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love frosty mornings. Not so fond of snow at this point. In the end, I suppose, my opinion doesn't matter. Nature will have her way! Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The light in the first photo is wonderful - so subtle, yet crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You got some great shots...of course I love the farm implements. I bet the farmer would not mind, but like you I would want to get permission. I am always a fan of ice covered vegetation. Or anything for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Morning skies,frost, mud and old machinery all take on a stark beauty in your photos:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very beautiful photos of hoarfrost land and things. The second photo is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's been jolly cold but at least more ice means less mud!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have captured the pastel colours of a winter morning well. It sure does look cold. You are brave walking in it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So very beautiful! My favourite kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).