Tuesday 18 August 2020

Wetness And Greenness

Some days I wake up and feel I've just got to get outside for a walk. It's a bit cloudy out there and it might rain later, but I'm not going to let that stop me. Lets see if we can find something to photograph along the well-trodden paths around home. 


When I'm on familiar territory I have to take a quick snap to get me going, otherwise I just trudge along and get bored. So here's a little portrait of a pioneering little sprig that is making its way through the bars of its prison. That's what you've got to do: just poke your head outside and see what's there. 


And just a little way along the road there's a show of flowers in the border, looking fine despite three days of heavy rain.


Lets celebrate the overnight rain! It will return the green to the English countryside, though there'll be many farmers worrying over such crops that yet remain unharvested.


The familiar little footbridge, just behind the church, is in danger of being swamped by vegetation. Water is still dripping from the leaves as I cross. 


Here's an adolescent tree trying to fight its way upwards into the light among the ivy-clad grown-ups. I fear that its bold efforts may be brought to an end the next time this path needs clearing, but maybe it'll be spared. 


Down on Shepreth Moor there's a log-pile that seems to have built itself a little nest among the dry grasses. These little piles have been left all over as potential homes for insect life.


In the hedgerow I find a familiar dead tree is slowly sinking earthwards, having been felled by the winds of last winter. 


It almost looks like November, but you can just glimpse the big, square straw bales in the far distance. And actually it's really quite warm this morning - it's not so much misty as steamy!


There seems to be a "tree" theme emerging from my photographs this morning and here's a Scots pine raising its noble head above the more familiar native trees of the little woodland.


A fallen branch inverts the usual pattern of tree-growth and adds a little hint of Autumn to the general greenery.


But mostly there's unstoppable growth sprouting up everywhere, like green fountains. So that's what my walk has revealed on this murky and humid morning. Now I'd better head for home before the next thunderstorm arrives. And this is August 2020.


Take care.


28 comments:

  1. Lovely set of photos - I can almost smell your damp, moist, countryside as you wander around your home territory.
    I know all about that unstoppable growth, it is happening in every corner of our garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me that your home turf is very photogenic, John, it looks very lush indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sense of overwhelming green-ness. It makes the air smell wonderful. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow such a beautiful hike!I enjoyed it very much!

    It is always something to see in the nature and you have captured it very well :))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed this John - I see Gallardia flourishes round you too - I love it. It flourishes in my garden too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I always admire them as I pass; they were flowering through most of the winter too.

      Delete
  6. So green and lovely. Good for the spirit I suspect! Thanks for taking me along!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to see clouds, wetness and green! It's been a hot, dry August where I live and I'm wishing for a bit of rain. Thanks for the cool respite!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a fun walk today. My favorite photos are the fence, the bridge, and the little pile of logs. I leave a good part of my yard untouched and wild so that small critters will have places to live. I love all the flowers you find. They really are beautiful. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are terrific and your descriptions are really delightful! You have a wonderful way with words! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is looking very green! That was a wonderful walk that you took us on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots of green and overgrown here too. The flower garden is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking fresh and green was my thought too. I like that colourful border!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reminds me of our river walk, so lush and green with nature sprouting new growth everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks wet and dreary...but sometimes there is such a feel to a day like that that I end up really enjoying it. If you had not mentioned the big hay bales, I would not have seen them...or at the least not have recognized them for what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like green fountains! Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only in England!
    A damp but lush walk among nature's bounty.
    Lovely John.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A lovely walk there, John. It's good to get out and take a nice long look around.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exactly how I approach some days - just get out and take a 'starter' shot to get me going. After that it usually becomes a pleasure not a chore. We've had a very wet and steamy day today. I was up on the heather moors, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The sprig through he bars is actually he best shot of the day I think John.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John - I think the earth was just waiting for the rain - it seems to be lapping it up. Wonderful to see - love that border ... but equally the countryside and hedgerow 'scapes - gorgeous photos - all the best Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much beauty. Thanks. I especially like the tree blown down last year,and the fallen branch(second to last). I am always fond of gates and bridges which promise a passage to somewhere new.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos. Lurchers don't like rain, so we don't go out on those days but we got caught in a downpour recently!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely photos, especially the first one and also the photo of the little foot bridge. It doesn't seem much like August weather today, the trees are tossing about in the wind and shedding leaves:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).