Friday 28 August 2020

Unicorns

As some of you may have noticed, this poor ol' blog has been limping along rather forlornly of late. The heavy, darkening greens of late summer are never particularly attractive to my eye and, beneath the dreary skies we've been having, they've done little to tempt me to take many photos or go to new places. Usually August is saved for me by visiting folk festivals, agricultural shows and open gardens, but this year most of my alternatives are closed by King Covid. So I've been looking for my music online.

British folk music occasionally throws up a good songwriter, though most of them are little known outside the parochial world of the folk enthusiasts. The rest of the planet may consider them as "uncool" but some of their songs will have a lifetime beyond the realms of passing fads and fancies. Here is Mr Bill Caddick, sitting in his caravan, with his song "Unicorns".

Unicorns - a song written by Bill Caddick
We were travelling north to sing and play
For friends that we had never met
Been working hard and didn't speak
The sky was grey and threatened wet
And I dreamed that I saw unicorns
Dreamed I saw them wild and white
Their sudden beauty lit the world
Like a star will light a winter's night

Pure as love with manes of milk
They danced and pranced and cried aloud
Bright as rainbows round the stars
Their eyes were soft and sad and proud

And I wept for the wild and dirty world
To which this beauty now was lost
And cursed the hungry mind of man
That feeds the future at such cost
My head was bowed, my eyes were closed
When in my ears their voices rang
And these few words lodged deep inside
And in my very soul they sang

We never went away
You always knew that we were near
Remember how to look for us
You'll see we were always here

I raised my eyes to seek them out
The world was empty all around
The rain came tumbling from the sky
It drowned all dreams upon the ground
And when they asked me why I wept
Like one who for his dead love mourns
The only answer I could give
I dreamed that there were unicorns
We never went away
You always knew that we were near
Remember how to look for us
You'll see we were always here.


Take care.

 

15 comments:

  1. King Covid - is a good title which I shall now also use in the future - the truth is that he is completely dominating all of our lives, and could be doing so for a long, long, time yet.
    I haven't noticed that your blog is limping along but I do understand your feelings about August, the very end of which heralds my birthday. For me it has always carried an air of sadness as I watch us slowly enter that slippery slope into Autumn, and then of course, Winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of the “darkening greens.” The song is lovely. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sympathies with the lack of photo mojo, what with Covid and the weather and the lack of 'amusements' I guess we're all limping a bit. It hasn't been noticeable. I always thoroughly enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will get better. One day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a beautiful song. I hope that we never stop seeing the Unicorns. I know the feeling of just limping along. But we do what we can do. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful song and text!Covid has done soo much damage i wonder if we ever will be back as before..Your blog is always wonderful..Wish you a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Covid's had a big effect nearly everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that song. It's so beautiful and positive and uplifting. Perfect for this moment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. “Pure as Love with manes of milk” — what a beautiful vision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful lyrics. Reminds me of an old folk song that's been passed down through multiple generations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for introducing me to Bill Caddick. Serotonin levels raised no end. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, it does seem as if 'King Covid' is reigning over us at the moment and influencing all we do. It is a strange time of year when natures colours are changing and dimming in fields, hedgerows and gardens:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love his 12-string! I hope it does get better someday....I don't worry so much about myself, I wear my mask and go on when I have to, but always worry about Roger with all his medical issues. So I don't get out as much as I would normally.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish someone would eliminate King Covid, he's a nuisance to the world.
    I like the tune, very nice John.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unicorns John.. of course there are unicorns 💜 Enjoyed Mr Caddick's words very much.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).