Tuesday 2 April 2019

The Back Lanes

A back lane leads off from the main road. Most pass by without noticing it, but it will form the central portion of today's walk. On this Monday morning there was not much traffic on the back lane - a woman whistling for her dog; a couple of walkers making the most of a sunny day; a single car edging cautiously forward, the driver having just tended to her horses pastured just along the way; and a faithful dog running in response to its owner's whistle.




But before I get there I've got to negotiate Swangley's Lane as it slowly ascends from Knebworth. You're probably expecting me to tell you what that circular brick tower might be - an old windmill? a water tower? a grain silo? - but I haven't got a clue. And I don't know how you'd go about laying bricks in a perfect circle to that height either. Something to think about as I make my way to the village of Datchworth.




A footpath runs between back gardens, leading towards the church, but I'm avoiding the more formal places of worship this morning and instead singing the praises of the Hertfordshire countryside. And gardens....




For everything is well-tended here; in fact I don't remember seeing a scrap of litter or an untidy garden all day. People are cleaning cars and mowing lawns as I pass through the village. It's all a far cry from the days when the village was regarded as one of the most haunted places in England. Then I cross over the road and dive into the back lane.



The lane passes through woodland with occasional views out on green pastures.



I interrupted a group of friends enjoying their mid-morning snack. When I say "interrupted" I mean that eventually, by making lots of noises that I thought might appeal to the equine ear, I got one of them to turn its head my way and give me a disdainful look!




This stand of conifers is part of Bramfield Woods where I had previously wandered in autumn a couple of years back. It's presumably a commercial plantation.



These odd-looking trees are the result of coppicing, cutting trees back to ground level to produce a crop of straight poles. Obviously there's not the same demand for these poles now as there once was and these look as though they've been neglected. 




The track leads past a little steep-sided depression which goes by the wonderfully mysterious name of Sally Rainbow's Dell. Ms Rainbow was a witch who dwelt in this place. In fact she was probably just a homeless woman who came to live in the woods. Maybe she was wild and unkempt, maybe she foraged for food, perhaps she talked to herself - it didn't take much to be regarded as a witch in those days.



The local farmers are supposed to have been so afraid of her casting spells to ruin their crops that they left food to placate her, or maybe they just felt sorry for her. Anyway this place got the reputation for evil which made it the ideal place for Dick Turpin to hide out when he'd been robbing people nearby. So it's said.


Then we leave the ghosts and witches and highwaymen behind to head across the fields towards the village of Stapleford. The oil-seed rape (canola) is just coming into flower and already beginning to get smelly.


It's even more smelly in here! We're now passing through Clusterbolt Wood, alongside the River Beane, and all that greenery is wild garlic or ramsons. When it starts flowering it will be even more pungent.


A much modified River Beane can be seen in the vicinity of Home Farm, which is run by the Woodhall Estate. The river has been widened here to provide a scenic attraction, part of the landscaping of the grounds.


There's a lot of work going on at the moment to restore all these water features to their former glory; just upstream from here the artificial lake has recently been dredged. 


The Hall itself comes into full view as I ascend the field towards Watton-at-Stone. This large Georgian mansion in neo-classical style was built in 1777, replacing an earlier one burned down in a fire. It's been a school since 1934. I think that's a Red Kite swooping through the blue sky - one followed me for several minutes.


Watton-at-Stone church had a fine bank of primroses which I photographed before making my way to the railway station.


Walker's Log:


     Start: Knebworth rail station 10:35
     End: Watton-at-Stone rail station 14:40


     Distance walked: 8.9 miles (14.3 Km)

     Notable birds: Chiffchaff, Buzzard, Red Kite, Grey Wagtail.
     Mammals: grey squirrel, rabbit.
     Butterflies: Peacock, Brimstone  

     Churches: Knebworth (St Martin's), Datchworth, Stapleford,                    Watton-at-Stone.
     People with dogs: 6
     People just enjoying a walk: 2 
     Cyclists: 2 small boys
     Horse riders: 0


Take care.



15 comments:

  1. You find the most beautiful, picturesque places to walk. I love seeing the countryside through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yet another walk I have had and those beautiful gardens - and all without moving frommy computer chair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely spot for a walkabout!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful views of water...and a mansion as well! Wonder why Mr. Kite followed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Was the Home farm you mentioned at Royston in Yorkshire?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this was in Hertfordshire near Watton-at-Stone; there's another Royston there too. Home Farm is a very common name and usually refers to farms belonging to large country houses of the very wealthy. They existed to provide food and milk for the aristocracy and their staff and guests.

      Delete
  6. The folklore is fascinating! Fabulous photos, John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh those primroses bring tears to my eyes, I miss them growing in the hedgerows.... no primroses here. The yellow and purple pansies are so delicious! I'd love to go on that walk with you. I'd be singing the praises of the English countryside all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely walk! Thanks for taking us along. I love your blog, John. Always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another lovely stroll through the countryside. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great places you have for walking..always fun to see views from it. You should take some short videos...I say short simply because I hate waiting for them to load. But we could hear the sounds, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi John - just showing England at its best ... while Woodhall Estate looks interesting to visit. Love the primroses ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. England looks wonderful in spring, gorgeous series of shots from your walk John. So you do that too, make funny noises to get animals to look at you, thought it was just me 😀

    ReplyDelete
  13. So which village was it that was considered so haunted? Might have to visit there! Such a beautiful walk--you are far ahead of us in greening up.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous! So green and springy and so nice to a flower garden. I saw some tulips shoots today and that's the first hint of spring that I have seen since most of the snow melted!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).