Sunday 7 September 2014

Museum Piece

Wisbech has a grand little museum which is well worth a visit. 
So lets visit!



In its day it was at the cutting-edge of museum innovation, being housed in purpose-built premises. But, like much of the town, its day was a while ago and the rest of the world has moved on without it.



You won't find any touch-screens or interactive displays in here. They just collect the items, put them in a case with a little label and leave the rest to your imagination. Hurray!



It's all in here somewhere! Stuffed specimens of local wildlife, fine porcelain, items dug up during the drainage of the fens, fossils, manuscripts, items crafted in far-off lands, stock from a village shop, woodworking tools, old army uniforms, crystal rock formations, coins from previous centuries, Victorian samplers, odd bits of furniture, agricultural tools, a Burmese buddha, mantraps, old photographs, Napoleon's breakfast service....



See? You thought I was making that one up. But here it is, apparently captured at the battle of Waterloo. 
"What did you do in the war, Daddy?" 
"Oh, I captured an enemy breakfast service!"

Very nice it looked though. And what's this.....?



Bird's Instant Whip! I used to like that when I was a lad. And Chivers jellies, made just a few miles away in Histon.



 There's a bust of Thomas Clarkson of course, the anti-slavery campaigner.



And the museum is rightly proud of having in its possession the original manuscript of "Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens. Though somehow I keep thinking about Mel Brookes' comment about Shakespeare - “A great writer? He was a dreadful writer. Every letter was cockeyed. He had the worst penmanship I ever saw in my life!"



Ah! The door from Wisbech jail - I couldn't get by without seeing that!



But seriously there's so much crammed in here in such a small space that I could happily spend a rainy day in here. But, hey, the sun is shining and it's one o'clock. That means that Peckover House and gardens are now open. I'll show you next time....

Take care.



24 comments:

  1. You certainly seem to be trying to get your town on the map!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh a place like that overwhelms me. So much to see that I cannot focus on seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a super museum, I like a museum that has all sorts of things and one that doesn't bother with pointless touch screen computer things too - I hate finding those in museums. Thanks for the virtual-visit! I'll be sure to visit it myself if I'm ever in Wisbech.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps this might seem strange but I am actually drawn to the cabinetry that seems to abound in the museum. Surely this old cabinetry expresses the valuables much better than modern metal ones found in some of the new museums. Hopefully it will remain such. -- enjoyed --barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful museum. It's like a museum of a museum, not at all influenced by the latest trends in technology. So glad to see that. Love seeing that original Great Expectations manuscript. Ah, handwritten. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been in quite a few old-fashioned museums like this one. Some good, many not. It looks like this one has plenty to keep one's attention.

    (I chortled about your comment that Steve is scared because I might chase him down to take another photograph of him. I know where to find him . . . )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Wisbech Museum and Peckover House too so looking forward to your next post. It reminds me so much of the first Museum I ever worked in which was also the first Museum I ever visited as a child of 5 or 6:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The museum is a museum piece. It sure has some interesting artefacts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wealth of history crammed in there John ... I could spend many an hour fossicking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks to you, I was able to read this post while correctly pronouncing Wisbech in my head. :-)
    I love little museums like this where you are left on your own to interpret and appreciate history. How amazing that they have the original Dickens manuscript and Napoleon's breakfast service.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks like my kind of museum. :)) So much to see. I'm sure I would enjoy the leisurely pace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Birds Instant WhipJohn - I loved it too and it took seconds to make.
    I love these 'old fashioned' museums but I think today's kids have no idea how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A friend of mine lives in Wisbech and has never said about the Museum, especially that it holds the original manuscript. I now know what to do this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of capturing breakfast sets during war. Forget the battles, just take the breakfast sets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to imagine Napoleon just sitting down to enjoy his croissant and coffee when it was whipped from under his nose.

      Delete
  15. Lots to enjoy in this. The museum took me right back to childhood, exploring my home town's museum. I still remember cabinet after cabinet of bird's eggs and butterflies - both 'no-no s' nowadays!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's quite amazing what you find behind these walls. I loved the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A wonderful breezy post John. I have just come home from a Museum meeting - we are housed in the old (100 years) village jail and nothing is as elegant as what you show us, but important to gather together what local history we can, - love's greatest gift, remembrance.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I could spend hours wandering through here. So much to discover.

    ReplyDelete
  19. No wonder you could send a day here - a regular "Bargain Hunt!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely, cozy museum! It’s sure is a nice way to spend a rainy day exploring antique, charming things. I’ll also visit on a hot summer day if it is air conditioned.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  21. A real Cabinet of Curiosities - my favourite sort of museum!
    I shall look forward to seeing your take on Peckover. We loved it when we visited for the first time last year.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).