Tuesday 5 October 2021

Footnotes

A few curiosities that I've encountered on my travels:


The Suffolk Chainsaw Masterpiece


We don't perhaps have so many murals in this part of the world, but our nature reserves and public parks are increasingly playing host to wooden sculptures like the one shown here. They seem to appear without much fanfare and most seem to be uncredited. A search on the internet has persuaded me that this magnificent owl at RSPB Minsmere is the work of Norfolk-based woodcarver Luke Chapman. What's more it appears that this detailed and delicate work was achieved using a chainsaw. You can sometimes see these artists displaying their talents at country shows where you can also buy some of their work.


Fire Plaques


I often find these attached to buildings throughout East Anglia. They are fire plaques and date from the time when the only fire brigades were in the hands of fire insurance companies. The lead plaques announced that the occupant of the building had paid their insurance premiums and the relevant fire fighters would then attempt to put out the fire. I think the ones shown here have been bought from elsewhere; they often turn up on eBay. I wrote about the history of fire insurance here: A Little Bit Of History


Help On The Way


The small wildlife park just down the road from me also operates a Hedgehog Hospital, which tends to the needs of sick or injured animals brought in by members of the public. The local MG car dealership recently donated an "ambulance" which is used to pick up the casualties and also visits schools and other groups to spread knowledge about these delightful, prickly individuals.


A Sign Of The Times


I spotted this on my recent travels. Theft of lead from our church roofs is a constant problem for many villages, particularly when the church is in an isolated position. It's just one reason why many churches are keen to be open to the public; a stream of frequent visitors is a strong deterrent to thieves.


The Wives Of Francis Rowly

These two small brasses on the floor of Brent Pelham church commemorates the lives of the two wives of Francis Rowly; Mary, who died in 1625, and Ann who passed away just two years later. Sadly in those days many young women died in childbirth. The two brasses appear to be almost identical, maybe they were just a standard design, or perhaps they really were similar.


Scots In The Fens


On the Summer Walk at Welney a series of small signs have sprung up this year. They tell the story of the thousands of Scottish prisoners of war who were put to work digging the twenty-one mile long Hundred Foot River in the early 1650s, part of the drainage scheme designed by Cornelius Vermuyden. They lived in appalling conditions and any who tried to escape were shot by firing squad. Despite the terrible hardships, when those who survived were finally released, many stayed in the area and occasional Scottish names turn up in old records.


Nocturnal Visitor


The other day my neighbour informed me that a badger was coming to the area outside our houses and clearing up under the bird feeders which he's hung on the tree. The normal visitors include many Starlings and Grey Squirrels who make a good deal of mess. So when I happened to wake up at 01:45 I couldn't resist peeping through the curtains. Sure enough there was not one, but two badgers busily feeding. 

I thought I'd try to take a photo despite it being very dark, with just one streetlight providing a little illumination. For the technically-minded here are my camera settings: 1/13 sec, f 4.5, 210mm (equivalent), ISO 25,600. I'd always wondered why the ISO went up so high (!) and it accounts for the grainy look of the picture. I knew badgers were in the village because I'd seen the little pits they dig while looking for food but this is the first time I've seen them in years.


Take care.


24 comments:

  1. Huge thanks.
    I really loved all of the curiosities you shared. And how I would love to see a badger. Or a hedgepig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fascinating pot pourri. Badgers are endearing creatures, and I was thrilled to see them when I last visited the UK. There was a whole controversy around a cull that was taking place. Is that still happening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, culling is still taking place despite all the scientific evidence which shows that badgers play only a very minor role in spreading bovine TB. It certainly won't end while this government is in control. As far as I know there is no culling around this part of the country; it's mainly in the west, where dairying is a significant part of the agriculture.

      Delete
  3. Esos parques públicos, deben ser una maravilla, con las buenas esculturas que hay en ellos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As usual a mine of information John - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I learned so much from you this morning, John! All so interesting! Thanks very much! P.S. I finally remembered to push the "follow" button for your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved seeing all these signs and images from around your town there. And what a very cool sight to see those badgers in your yard. Wonderful photos, John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen a badger that looked like the one in the photo. I loved the Hedgehog Ambulance. What a great idea! That wood carving is amazing. Such a talent! You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have no idea how they manage to do a woodcarving with a chain saw. Lots of interesting bits of information in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The owl carving is a beautiful piece of art. With all the details it must be a challenge compared to creating a big bear. I've seen a bear carving and it was amazing to watch the person working on it.
    I always wondered why churches stayed open to the public, now I know. I never would have thought people were that desperate to steal from a church.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have wood carving chain saw sculptors in our area...or at least in the Smoky Mountains National Park area in E. TN. I've seen people who hire them to make special statues for their properties. We had a rash of copper thieves when I first moved to North Carolina, I wonder if there's lead also going its way. But then, I know of no churches with lead on their roofs (rooves?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the owl wooden sculpture, it is very roughly done but captures the owl. Miss my barn owls that were such regular visitors around the old village. An excellent potpourri of things snapped.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi John - great selection ... I loved reading all your choices - so interesting. I'm always amazed at the sawn owl sculptures. When I worked in a local village - I was amazed to hear badgers walking down the through road ... nails on the tarmac, click clacking along! Thanks for these - Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chain saw sculptors were a common sight in the Catskills this summer. I'm also remembering one we see when we cut across Vermont heading west to Buffalo, NY.
    The sign about stealing lead is surprising. Aren't some of those roofs pretty steep? Wouldn't it require scaffolding to access? What lengths thieves go to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such an interesting assortment of images and info. I have seen a few carved stumps around here lately.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hedgehog ambulance is a great idea! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful curiosities!. Love the badger and the ambulance especially. There’s always something interesting out there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a very neat chainsaw carving, but an 'ambulance' for Hedhogs?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super photos of all the things you have spotted. Love your nocturnal visitor. I never knew there was such a thing as a Hedgehog Ambulance:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think that a great shot if the badger, considering the circumstances...

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many interesting tidbits. I think I like the hedgehog transport the best. A special hospital for hedgehogs is unique.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the owl and the badger and the Hedgehog Ambulance. Shocking about the theft of lead.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A very interesting mixed bag of photos. I'm scared of badgers. Good they only come out at night.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am a fan of curiosities and oddities.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).