Monday 15 June 2020

Weekend Gleanings

When the restrictions on our travel began the footpaths around my village saw an increase in people out walking; what else was there to do? Some were new to the idea of putting one foot in front of the other and had to ask me where they were going. This weekend however there were far less folks on the hoof, despite the weather being unexpectedly glorious. Here are a few things I noticed over the last couple of days:


This is not a litter bin but a work of art to be found in a local nature reserve. It has a few words which read, depending on where you start:

…..softly blowing at the bridge I found a grey feather.....
          …..blowing at the bridge I found a grey feather softly.....
                        …..at the bridge I found a grey feather softly blowing.....
                                              …..I found a grey feather softly blowing at the bridge.....
                                                           …..a grey feather softly blowing at the bridge I found.....


 
It throws an interesting shadow too...


Now, what else? The barley in the fields is beginning to ripen nicely, with just a few poppies enlivening the scene....


If you want to see more poppies then there's a strip of fallow land nearby that boasts quite a show....


There'll undoubtedly be some more poppies in future posts. Then as I was walking through the village this little clump of Cranesbill (hardy Geraniums) caught my eye...


Then very early on Sunday morning the moon looked like this....


Occasionally people ask me how many pairs of boots I get through on my walks. Well, maybe one pair of cheap boots a year, but I do wear them to destruction and then I have one further use for them...



Take care.


27 comments:

  1. Your photos are so lovely! I may try to download them and make notecards from them. Love the cute boots as planters! and the art work - people are clever! Thanks so much for making me smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome to use the photos to make some notecards. I hope they turn out well.

      Delete
  2. We need more creative artwork like that. And as for the re-purposing of your boots, maybe try nailing one to a tree and perhaps a robin or a wren might make a home of it. But the flowers look splendid too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting barrel! I love how you interpreted the words on it for us. So very creative. I do love poppies, so you can show us all you want. I had to laugh at that last photo of the beautiful flowers living in your old worn out boots. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another lovely walk there. Love that field of poppies and the barrel... and the boots with flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the work of art, the poppies and the lobeliaed boots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is creative art, beautiful poppies, and nice pretty flowers in the old boots. I enjoyed them all, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice images, John. I especially liked the first on of the poppies swaying in the grass. Very impressionistic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your walking boots, tramping through the blue!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A good use for your old boots after they have taken you for many miles. The Cranesbill is lovely and the feather sculpture most unusual:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to reuse the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a rich gleaning you had. Thank you. I am a big fan of public art, and of plants. I also really enjoyed the different perspectives you gave us of that poem, and love its shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's an amazing moon shot John!
    I love the words on the metal container - is it secured in the ground?
    The poppy field is so beautiful - and I keep meaning to look for some cranesbill for my garden - what a fabulous shade of blue this one is.
    Those boots were definitely 'made for walking' as Nancy Sinatra sang many years ago! Do you recall that pop song?

    Mary -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I remember the song very well - can you believe that Nancy Sinatra is now 80!

      Delete
  13. Love the photos and the Lobelia in your old boots.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John - wonderful sculpture ... and great you typed it out so neatly for us ... depending on the aspect of the sun for us to read - fun: thank you! Gorgeous barley fields and poppies - the scenery at this time of year is just beautiful. well done with the boots ... and Nancy Sinatra ... I did love that song. Your weekend gleanings lead us on to the middle of the week - enjoy ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. that image of the barley field with a few poppies is just exquisite! Your boots remind me that years ago I used bundt cake pans to plant flowers, after drilling a few holes in the bottom. Next time I run through a pair of boots, I'll try to remember your good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a shame some people only walk when there aren't many other options John, they miss so many wonderful scenarios such as those you spotted here.. loooove the poppy shots 💜

    ReplyDelete
  17. "they have to ask me where they're going." That's really good! The old boots look great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The field of poppies made me think of the Flanders Field poem, John, and perhaps you as well? We have also noticed many more people out on walks especially in the nearby park and on the river wealk and even on downtown streets. So while the shut-down has been unfortunate in many ways, it has had its good sides as well with morfe folks being out and about. I liked the boot planters too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poppies and barley could be a painting. I love lobelia in boots. What a heavenly blue!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The first photo of the poppies is like a painting. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still can't believe that poppies grow wild in the UK! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love purple flowers. Super photos. Poppies , of course, without words ...

    ReplyDelete
  23. The art bin is beautiful, what a clever design. Poppies always bring cheer, and the little cranesbill are pretty. Love the boots!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Poppies and barley...took my breath away.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).