Sunday 21 June 2020

Morning And Evening

The weather forecast was for high cloud and a few sunny periods; ideal, I thought, for a bike ride to a couple of nearby villages, take some photos and head back home for lunch.


By the time I'd pedalled half-a-mile down the road I realised that it was going to be a lot brighter and sunnier than expected which, though no bad thing, makes taking photos among buildings very tricky, with inky black shadows and glaring white cottage walls. The photo above, in Fowlmere village, was the only "village-scape" I took.


In Thriplow I encountered this glamorous scarecrow and her friend, clearly indicating that they were the required two metres apart, or maybe they're just desperate for a cuddle!


More glamour was provided nearby by a small herd of pigs. These, as some readers of this blog have been told before, are Berkshires - mostly black but with white "points" - feet, face and tails. I'm very fond of Berkshires - and not just in sausages!


Now, how can I explain this, in all this lovely English scenery that I cycled through, most of my pictures ended up being of rather weathered agricultural buildings? 

You see, I spent many years working in farming, it was healthy outdoor work, but "pretty" it was not. And every so often I have to return to the realities of this hard-working landscape.


Here though back in 1985, according to the signature bottom-right, someone decided to brighten up these premises with a mural of the agricultural machines of the time. It's a bit battered now, but I saw it many years ago when it was very fine and colourful. 


Around the corner are further murals, perhaps depicting some of the men who worked here back then.


The old grain-store also boasted some interesting abstract patterns courtesy of the weathering it's been subjected to.


I could show you more of this sort of thing, but I realise it's a rather niche interest, so we'll move on to the evening when I went out for a stroll hoping to see a rich sunset.


 
We're not quite done with farming though, as the sheep and lambs came to watch my progress along the path towards Shepreth.


Although the clouds were doing unexpected contortions they never quite arranged themselves into a pleasing composition and they soon contrived to block the very bit of sky where the sun was due to set.


And all that mattered not a jot as I nevertheless enjoyed my excursion. A few bats were flitting about in the dusk as I made my way home.


Take care.



17 comments:

  1. Such a good variety of shots to share today, John. I especially liked the murals and old buildings. Closing with the sunset sky - a lovely, full day for you. Thanks for sharing it with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last photo is priceless! Looks to me as if everything is in just the right place to look awesome. I love the animals and even the not so glamorous buildings. The graffiti is beautiful. I enjoyed this bike ride tremendously. You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, as usual John, your day provided a host of fascinating photographs. I don't recall seeing a Berkshire before but I do like those 'white points' - trouble is I only have to look at pigs for a while before I stops me wanting to eat sausages -and I do love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A nice variety of images. I like the old buildings and the sunset. You sure do find interesting things to photograph and not far from home. Have a wonderful evening.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's quite a lot of recent building murals here in Nashua, NH, and seeing these older ones in this post reminded me that I have yet to post some. Thanks for reminding me John. That said I enjoyed going along on this tour, and found the name of Fowlmere Village interesting. The cloudscapes were quite interesting, especially the final shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There used to be a shallow lake near the village - it's now a Nature Reserve - called Fowl Mere. I think the name is self explanatory, however on some old maps it's written as Foul Mere!

      Delete
  6. The thatched roof is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for taking us along.
    Love the murals. We are having a resurgance of murals on grain silos and when travel is permitted I hope to go on a longish drive to see some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A lovely walk through the town and countryside. You do see some friendly cute critters and interesting murals. I liked the sunset too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this little photographic excursion, John, and especially liked the abstract qualities and composition of the grain store image.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos, as always, John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So if you want a few good photos jump on your bicycle and go for a ride. You were able to tell a good story with your ride.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting photos of the farm buildings and I like the murals of farm life and workers. Love the blue skies and the scarecrows:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those high fashion scarecrows might do a better job attracting birds they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the way the workmen of long ago in the mural are fading into the background of the building as time goes by, just as they have faded from life. The purple trim contrasting with the stark white of the walls of the pub certainly make it stand out. I wonder if they will be putting up a new sign soon and opening to thirsty bicyclists!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed seeing the 'weathered' buildings John, I must do that more often, we always tend to show the best bits of where we live, there is always another side to every story ✨

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, my. I love your sunsets...I dont think the get any better. I would have had fun watching. I enjoyed the farm shots and often wish I could have taken a lot of pics from growing up on a farm.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).