Tuesday 12 June 2018

Nature's Notebook

If you're interested in nature it's best to take notes when you're out and about.
Nowadays, especially since the advent of digital cameras,
it's easier and often more helpful to take pictures
 rather than carry about a notebook and pencil. 
Sometimes you just want to remember what you've seen,
but often you need to get out the reference books when you get home
to figure out exactly what species you've encountered.

Silverweed

This was the first flower I learned to identify. Lots of it grew alongside the path in
the garden of the house where I grew up. I suppose
I was attracted then by its silvery leaves, as I still am.
I asked the name and was told it was called Silverweed. 
I must have been about four or five years old.


Sainfoin 

Sainfoin used to be used as a forage crop for working horses
 and is supposed to have several health-giving properties.


Speckled Wood

If you spot a butterfly flitting about in the dappled sunlight beneath trees
 it's nearly always a Speckled Wood. Other butterflies much prefer to be in the sun.


Red Campion

It's not really red, is it? But it brightens up many a woodland and wayside,
coming into flower just as the bluebells are dying off.
Sometimes there's a super-colourful overlap of the two.


White Campion

And Red Campion also has a white cousin
not quite as showy but still an attractive addition to many roadside verges.


Musk Beetle
 or more likely a female thick legged flower beetle
(see Louise's comment below)

There are quite a few metallic-green beetles,
some of which aren't in my book -
that's my excuse anyway!


Orchid

It's always exciting to find wild orchids in flower,
even when they're in places where you expect to find them!
They can also be tricky to identify as some are quite similar
and, just to add to the confusion, they hybridise with each other.


Scarce Chaser

Scarce Chasers are so called because they are, well, scarce.
It would be nice to say that I knew what I was photographing
but I didn't realise what I'd got till I saw the photo on the screen.


Yellow Rattle

When our hay fields were full of wild flowers
 the one the farmers really wanted to get rid of was Yellow Rattle.
Nowadays when conservationists are trying to recreate wild flower meadows
the first thing they reintroduce is Yellow Rattle.
How so?
Yellow Rattle is semi-parasitic on grasses and diminishes the yield of hay
which is why farmers hated it so.
But if you kill of some of the grass, that leaves space for other wildflowers to grow,
so it's invaluable when trying to make a flowery meadow.


Azure Damselfly

Pretty common, but uncommonly pretty.
Come on, insects are not supposed to be that beautiful.
Exquisite.


White Bryony (bryonia dionica) 

One of those flowers which it's so easy to pass by,
though its bright red berries are very eye-catching later in the year. 
For this reason some people call it Red Bryony.
Confusingly there's a closely related species bryonia alba, which
translates as "white bryony", the name by which it is known in N America,
and that has black berries.
And, wouldn't you just know it, we have a Black Bryony too
which also has red berries!

I hope you're taking notes!



Take care.



21 comments:

  1. I think I have noticed most of those plants and insects so it is nice to know their names

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right about taking notes. We do too little of it these days, thinking that the ever present camera is a substitute for good field work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend records notes on her phone...I'm not that coordinated. But I do love the correct identifications! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often speak whilst I take video and it serves as my note taking. I’ve enough to carry as it is. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to take notes, but I'm glad you take photos. These are gorgeous, especially that azure damsel fly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely agree with Cynthia above, notes are all very well but oh la your images are incroyable John! Orchids are exquisite, it's such a treat to come across them growing wild. I would be so thrilled if I'd seen the Azure Damselfly, not sure if we even have them here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos and info on things we go by daily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't nature wonderful John? Especially this time of the year. That Azure Damselfly is so very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are such great photos. What beautiful sights you see there. And that Azure Damselfly is truly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nature keeps surprising us with all its beautiful flora and fauna. The photo of the musk beetle is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see all the wildflower varieties where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silverweed. Makes me think of Watership Down straightaway, the rabbit poet who tried to teach his fellows to accept their inevitable deaths

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful collection of nature photos! I really like the wild orchid. Interesting to think about the digital camera replacing the notebook and pencil, but I think that's true. I often have my DSLR in one hand and my phone with GPS app in the other as I'm trudging around in the desert!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John - delightful ... I didn't know your silverweed, or the Sainfoins ... interesting tidbits in Wiki about it ... Orwell and others. Lovely flora and insects ... they are amazing ... I've capture a few with the iphone - but they will not turn out like yours - once and when I get them posted ... cheers, so lovely to see - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty shots. I love it when nature runs riot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful images!! I can use some spring/summer colors on my gray, wet day today!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I didn't know that about yellow rattle. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seeing butterflies and dragonflies are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think your musk beetle is actually a female thick legged flower beetle - the antennae are not jointed on this one as they are on longhorn beetles.

    A lovely collection of nature notes :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. In this series, the butterfly, beetle, chaser and damselfly are the ones that catch my eye.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).