Thursday 12 September 2024

Motorbikes At A Steam Show

It sounds all wrong, for as far as I know the steam motorcycle has yet to be invented, but it still makes perfect sense to me. Motorbikes were a huge part of growing up around here in the 1950s and 60s. I often would visit friends in the village to find them with a motorbike in bits in the shed - or on one memorable occasion in the kitchen; their mother having gone out for the afternoon.


That particular episode did not end well, though the mechanical expertise gained piecemeal in teenage years must have given a head start to those who later turned their hands to restoring the kind of vehicles on display at Haddenham Steam Rally.


There were grass-roots motorbike sports too. "Scrambling" or "moto-cross" was racing stripped-down bikes over rough and often muddy terrain. In summer "grasstrack racing" was a low-cost version of "speedway". Men like Dave Bickers, Andy Lee and Badger Goss became heroes to those who cared little about footballers or pop stars.

"Motorcycle trials" is a different kind of sport. It's not a race but depends on successfully negotiating a seemingly impossible obstacle course. Penalty points are incurred if you put a foot to the ground. "Dabbing" was the term used for putting a foot down and a group self-deprecatingly known as Dabbers Trials Club were on hand to demonstrate. 


The beauty of trials is that you can pitch it at whatever standard you choose. You don't have to risk life or limb, or even wreck your bike. Many just like to amuse themselves pottering around a course of their own devising on farm tracks or around disused chalk pits.


Proper trials bikes are stripped down to the bare essentials and kept as light as possible - they don't even have a saddle, as competitors ride standing up to maintain better balance and control.



But the Dabbers Club also like to ride vintage machines. While looking online I noticed that a man called Dougie Lampkin was seven times the world trials champion in the early 2000s. Now that surname is one I recall from way back. Sure enough, Dougie is the nephew of Arthur Lampkin, a well-known moto-cross rider back in the 1960s.



But when Midsummer Fair was on in Cambridge the place to congregate was over by the "Wall of Death".



The Wall of Death originated in the USA and was imported to these shores in the late 1920s. It's said that at one time there were ten of them built along the Skegness sea front in order to train riders to perform at Billy Butlin's Holiday Camps. The Fox family was involved from the outset and has continued to this day. 



The Wall consists of a wooden cylinder which the bikes ride around, held up by friction and centrifugal force. I think they only go around 30 miles per hour (around 50 kph) but in a tight, confined space with the noise echoing around it looks much faster.



They even take a go-kart around. In the early days they sometimes used a bike with a sidecar and took lions and bears on the Wall - or else they had a monkey that balanced on the fuel tank. Needless to say - that doesn't happen any more.



Going up to meet the audience.



Setting a bad example to the younger generation!



What would you like me to do next?



No problem!



Three for the price of one.



Teamwork!


Les caught some video on his phone.....



Take care.


21 comments:

  1. Wow, that brings back memories. Having had bikes for the majority of my life it was interesting to read your blog. My first bike back in the day, actually on my 16th birthday in 1965 was a BSA Dandy, 70cc. It lasted 3 months and I progressed to an Ariel Redhunter 500 special. I'm 75 now and finally gave up after a succession of marvellous machines over the years. Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really a skillful gig. What a series

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think or motorcycles as noisy and ridden by idiots weaving in and out of traffic. Biased and not accurate I am sure, but that’s the way it is with me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are certainly some as you describe. However I used to work in a school for youngsters with disabilities and the bikers used to visit twice a year, at Easter and Christmas, to bring Easter eggs and presents for the children. They also used to hold an annual show which raised over £10,000 each year for the school and the air ambulance service. There are all sorts of people under those helmets.

      Delete
  4. Goodness, those Wall of Death riders sure are daredevils! No helmets or pads? I wonder how often they fall. Motorcycles look scary to me when they are zooming down the highway, darting in and out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had never heard of doing that with the 'wall'...that is so cool. And something one of my brothers would have been attempting if given the chance. I loved that video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen films of the Wall of Death and it sure looks scary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interest in motorcycles has been in the blood of my male relations...so I also had a bike for a while before sobering up and realizing a mother needs to be somewhat responsible to raise her kids rather than zoom around dodging those awful huge trucks and cars. Unfortunately one of my relations had a bad motorcycle accident, but at least he lived. And stopped riding.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard of the Wall of Death, but never experienced seeing a demonstration, so my thanks to Les for the video. This circular track did seem smaller than others I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have bigger tracks where they are permanent features; this one is designed to be taken down and then erected at the next show, as it has been for nearly 100 years if I understand correctly. Some of those bikes are real vintage machines too.

      Delete
  9. Interesantes fotografías, con las motos como protagonistas.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my! That last video. I think my reaction would be to try to sit up or lean up, not sideways. Amazing stunts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had heard of the Wall of Death and it seems like I saw it in a movie once? I do not like motorcycles as here in the States there is a certain machismo that seems to be attached to them, and many stupid riders. But I know that overseas, they are ridden by many people as their main means of transportation, and people are sensible, generally, about them. Larry loves them, and once owned an old flathead Harley. Pretty sure he would buy a bike in a minute if he could afford it! I do enjoy seeing the old bikes and appreciate the work it takes to rebuild them.
    Very interesting post, John. A lot I didn't know about this topic!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has been done...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roper_steam_velocipede#:~:text=The%20Roper%20steam%20velocipede%20was,sometime%20from%201867%20to%201869.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sure I saw a wall of death at Bellevue in Manchester many, many years ago. I have a love/hate relationship with motorbikes. I had one in my 20s which was great fun in the summer but horrible in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wall of Death indeed! Incredible! Brave souls or crazy…

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never been inside a Wall of Death, but have seen it in the movies. Impressive - but mad. I've never seen the point in stuff like that. I can see the appeal of riding a motorcycle, but have never felt the desire to have one, Bikers gather at a place near us and you can smell the leather, brake horsepower and testosterone as you go by. Hice post, John - you can tell I enjoyed it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Wall of Death is aptly named! LOL at setting a bad example. I remember going on a ride like this as a child. It would spin around, you could inch your way up higher on the wall, and centrifugal force would keep you stuck to the wall. Great fun as long as you didn't get sick from all that spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wall of Death indeed! I've always thought motorcyclists were daring, but that is crazy. Give me a horse any day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi John - thanks ... I don't remember the wall of death ... but then not footballers, nor pop stars, nor racers interested me ... such is life - thank goodness for variety! Great pics - thank you ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).