Monday 6 November 2023

Loitering Locally

Yesterday I spent an enjoyable afternoon slopping about up to my calves in water, in the very place where, back in the spring, I'd been lying down photographing cowslips and buttercups. It is a nature reserve, but one that a quick glance would dismiss as just an untidy grassy field. However this little area, between villages, which consists of two boggy meadows, a grassy lane, a muddy footpath and a small field, is one to which I keep returning.



I was hardly expecting to see cowslips here in November, but I wasn't expecting to see cows either. There is some dry ground for them, but much of the land is flooded at this time of year. I expect they'll be moved in the next few days.



Perhaps they weren't expecting to see me and they followed me for a while till they lost interest and resumed their grazing.



This land is the flood plain of Guilden Brook so it's doing exactly what it's supposed to in spells of wet weather. Actually the Brook has been modified and drains what is now agricultural land, so water levels in it fluctuate more than the other little streams in our area, consequently this pocket of rough grazing land gets more than its share of flooding.



The little wooden bridge leads out to the field path. It's not quite doing its job anymore and you end up having to step into the water. Not that it matters much; anyone not wearing wellies is unlikely to have got this far!



A few autumn leaves float daintily on the water.



The old lane appears to be paved with gold at this time of year.



Back in our watery meadow there's some lush-looking grass which the cattle don't seem to have visited lately. In spring this corner of the field is scented with the heavy perfume of the May blossom.



A few Hawthorn berries have landed on a rampant patch of fungi. If you think I put them there then I'll admit that you're partially right. They were there when I arrived, but in removing some dead grasses which were spoiling my photo, I managed to dislodge the berries and had to replace them where I thought they looked right.



At other times dead grasses help to make the picture - I certainly wasn't going to try moving that lot!



The afternoon was now fairly advanced and I decided I would loiter a little longer to see if the setting sun would put on a show.



Stray shafts of sunlight pierced the cloud cover in the west and made me optimistic, though I think I like this late golden light every bit as much as I like a fiery sunset.



The cows were enjoying a late snack as I feasted on the last vestiges of this glorious light.



The sunset never really happened, though the skies opposite to the setting sun were briefly illuminated by a pinkish glow. 



One final shot then I turned to walk the mile and a half back home.


Take care.


28 comments:

  1. You took some lovely photos of the land stepping out of Summer and into Autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A delightful pastoral stroll. I was happy to come along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You must be a happy bunny living in such a lovely place. Always love the soft colours of the grasses this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely, calming photos. Thank you, John.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful views there, John. What a wonderful walk on a lovely autumn day. (NewRobin13)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi John - stunning photos - reminded me of 'Cow Cooper's' art I saw in Kent ... and yes hasn't it been soggy; your fungi with hawthorn artistically spread for your 'snapshot' - lovely ... C for Cattle part of an A-Z in April 2017. Did you see the Northern Lights - I missed them down here ... ? Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you traveled a familiar path as the light faded. Of course there's never really darkness with some reflections and star ligh, and you probably have a cell phone with a flashlight. But I did want to add I like the reflections photo best of this bunch, next to the little wooden bridge in the middle of water.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful stroll out in the country. Lovely scenes indeed. Thanks, John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even wet places have their beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you can make any walk even a muddy wet walk into a thing of beauty with your photos. Applauding!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was more than happy to loiter with you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As always I enjoyed that walk in the countryside so much, John. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photographs! I love autumn days.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Espero que cuando se introdujo en el agua, no hiciera demasiado fría. Así se suelen coger ahora los catarros.
    De ese buen paseo por el campo, has hecho muy buenas fotografías.
    Feliz semana.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As the lovely pinkish glow arrived in the sky I thought for a moment that you were going to then reveal a photo of the Northern Lights which several people up and down the country seem to be catching currently. Boggy paths may not be for the faint hearted but you were sensibly wearing wellies - but just don't get stuck in the mud John.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful pictures! Honestly, I know that I say this almost everytime that I come here, but these are magnificent. Some of them almost appear to be paintings. You are the artist John Constable ~ with a camera!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The penultimate shot was worth waiting for

    ReplyDelete
  18. These cows look so cute and innocent. The nature sceneries are caught with your excellent composition.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the light in these photos. Some great shots here. What a lovely ramble! Cows or cowslips…either is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting how the fields are flooded. We have a clay base here and water disappears very slowly.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely local spot to explore. Perhaps the cows' grazing and trampling are needed to keep the natural environment in balance. They occasionally put cattle on the SSSI near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you're quite right. They don't usually have them on there in winter though.

      Delete
  22. So lucky to have nature so close to home. Don't think I would bother putting on wellies and walk in the slosh. We have the opposite at the moment, no rain and tinder dry forests.Lovely photos and prose.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are lucky to have a nature area so close to home. Lovely photos and prose..

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely scenic images as always JOhn. The four legged maintenance crew do a great job on nature sites. Many species of butterflies prefer short grass.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks like you and the cows had a lovely day, John.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A delight to visit with you, John. A totally beautiful afternoon stroll.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Count on cows to be curious about you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).