Monday 26 June 2023

Flying Visit

 A short post to show you two "flying" things that made an impression during the last few days:

Scarlet Tiger Moth


As I was about to pull up the kitchen blind the other morning I noticed the shape of a large moth silhouetted by the sun. I gave the blind a gentle tap so that it didn't get rolled up inside as I pulled on the cord. And there it was, in all its glory, the outrageous harlequin-patterned Scarlet Tiger Moth. Mostly it keeps the bright red hindwing hidden, but if a predator comes near it gives a sudden flash of fire which is enough to scare off most wary creatures. But not the determined focus of my macro lens.

It seemed very drowsy and unwilling to fly, but half an hour later it had departed through the open window and was happily feeding on the nectar from my potted plants.


The Flying Scotsman


Our second "flying" friend was the "Flying Scotsman" locomotive. Les came over the other morning with the news that he'd seen someone at Shepreth level-crossing who was waiting to photograph the historic steam train as it made its way from King's Cross to Great Yarmouth. We hurried down to the local station and, after a minor delay, the great train puffed into view.



According to Wikipedia, "LNER Class A3 4472 Flying Scotsman is a 4-6-2 "Pacific" steam locomotive built in 1923 for the London and North Eastern Railway (LNER) at Doncaster Works to a design of Nigel Gresley". So that means that it's celebrating its centenary this year. It was also the first steam train to top 100 mph. 

And now I must fly!


Take care.


22 comments:

  1. I love the moff - they are so often gorgeous and severely underestimated. I am also very glad that Les had the news and you caught the Flying Scotsman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful moth, which we don’t see very often in my neck of the woods; we do see the Jersey Tiger Moth but not as frequently as we once used to. I remember that many years ago, there was a gathering of these moths all flitting around some pink Valerian which was growing along an old stone wall near where I lived, and it was quite a sight…as is The Flying Scotsman! An impressive sight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written John. Loved your last line - That moth is exquisite. I would like a Summer housecoat please with that design and colour scheme! I remember once when my Uncle - who lived in The Dukeries between Tuxford and Retford - was helping Haymaking in a field cut in half by the main LNER line from London to Edinburgh, we were there on holiday. I am speaking of horse and cart days and we were sitting on top of the hay as the horse set off for the farm with its first load, when The Flying Scotsman went through the field - us kids waved like mad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are both very impressive in their own way, but my vote goes to the moth, a stunning creature. It's good that it was a little lethargic and didn't fly off instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. De la vistosa y pequeña mariposa, has pasado a la enormidad de esa locomotora. Todavía se conserva en algunas poblaciones, como reclamo turístico. Recuerdo haber subido a una de ellas desde Palma de Mallorca al pueblo pintoresco de Sóller. Al ir tan lento, disfruté mucho de los paisajes que hubo en su recorrido.

    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Similar color schemes, after all. Wonderful moth, as a natural beauty. Amazing steam engine, the beauty of well made machinery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were crazy to get these things up to 100 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to see that 100 year old engine still running.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a beautiful moth, John. I am so glad you gently opened blind and photographed it. Lovely. Nice old train too. Wow, 100 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That moth is beautiful! I'm glad he escaped to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That moth is incredible.
    I saw the Flying Scotsman at the museum in York several years ago. How lucky were you to see it out on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The moth is beautiful and so is the locomotive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! Lucky you! The Flying Dutchman! What a thrill that would have been! I have never seen such a glorious moth either!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful moth and I have always loved steam trains.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The Scarlett tiger moth is so surreal with colours and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The moth and the train are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both beautiful in their own way - and very well captured by you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two beauties! The moth is stunning. It took patience to get that photo, I know. The train is just plain cool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That steam engine is quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been learning a lot about steam locomotives lately. A month or two ago Mr. Richard Niven from Scotland moved here. These steam machines changed his life. He adores them and also has written a book about his life. It might be interesting. My adventurous life by Richard Niven. I've just read it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi John - both amazing and completely utterly different - well done ... thanks - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).