Wednesday 14 December 2022

Seasonal Surprise

We'd been happily drifting along on the dwindling current of Autumn for many weeks, when suddenly we awoke one morning to a sharp frost coating every surface with a sparkling rime.
I picked up my camera and stole guiltily past working folks who were scraping ice from their windscreens to see what could be found.


Flowers exhibited a certain surprised beauty.



And many more leaves had fallen overnight and now rested on old trees that had long ago succumbed to the inevitable progress of time.



I also took a quick snap of this curious frost-pattern on the wing of one of my neighbours' cars. Apart from making it a bit clearer for you to see I haven't done anything to change its appearance. 


Then next morning...


I looked out and saw there'd been a couple of inches of overnight snow. What used to happen every year has now become something of a rarity in this part of the country. Children of all ages have to make the most of it, so I was up before dawn to explore this wonderland.



The warm light from the spotlights combines prettily with the blue light of pre-dawn to make a nice picture of the village church.



I made my way back through the main street of the village. I used to work at the school just around the corner and recall the excitement of the children on days like this. Many of them were wheelchair-users and I also remember the exasperated look of the woman who cleaned the building as they trundled in and out, leaving trails of dirty snow behind them!



One of the large houses in the village has a permanent display of topiary "Christmas trees" which look even better with a coating of snow.



Another shrub exhibiting sculptural shapes as I made my way to the community woodland.



It was the kind of good sticky snow that clings to every branch.



A flat bridge leads over the little chalk-stream known, rather grandly, as the River Mel. The little gate is the entrance to somebody's garden.



Here's the river itself, reflecting the leaves that still hang on to the branches in this sheltered spot.



I was framing up a shot of the tree which stands beyond a patch of rough ground when I spotted a Buzzard perched on the topmost twig. When I got home I noticed another bird, lower down in the tree, which may well be the other member of the pair. It's quite normal to see a Buzzard around here. 
(The Common Buzzard [Buteo buteo] of the UK and Europe is a bird of prey. Despite its impressive size it mostly feeds on earthworms, beetles and carrion. In Scotland it's jokingly called "the Tourist's Eagle", since visitors are often convinced that they've seen a Golden Eagle nonchalantly sitting at the side of the road).



The path leads on beside the stream.



Now where would that picture appear on a calendar? Winter snow and Autumn foliage.


Three sheep wonder just what's happened overnight, hiding all the grass and leaving them nothing to eat but fallen leaves.



Here's one they've missed.



Time for me to make my way back home for a cup of hot chocolate.

(It's now a couple of days later and the snow is still hanging around; that's something that rarely happens these days. It's supposed to be warming up at the weekend).


Take care.


33 comments:

  1. Think John u made intresting observarvations round your area well done again as always a joy to read regards from John.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. How very, very beautiful. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best ‘winter’ photographs I’ve seen for a while. I particularly like the one with the gate and another slightly lower down, the one of a path leading to a steam. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just so beautiful snow covering everything! Artistic

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great wintry scenes, John. It could be right here at home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a wonder how a layer of snow can transform the landscape and captured things that you've taken for granted remaking them as works of art. We have snow on the ground here. The walk today will be on an old road in the snow. Photos to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You captured the beauty! Glad the sheep still have their heavy coats! The first photo is exceptional!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marvelous photos, John! The church looks like a painting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heavy frost does happen more often than snow, here also. But your snow shots are all wonderful to look at. Thanks for making some footprints to capture all of these beauties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done! What beauty all around you, John. No snow here yet, a sad situation. I can't even pick a favorite today, these are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Truly beautiful photos, John. Each one captures such a lovely serene moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely to again join you on a walk-about. Capturing frost on a late autumn flower is such a fleeting moment--before the sun comes out and it all goes soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes it's beautiful with fresh clean snow. Awesome photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful scenes and I commend your early morning wander. We've had frost but no snow yet.

    ReplyDelete
  15. John, thank you for sharing your winter wonderland. Great photos as always. I was surprised by the church being floodlit but it made a wonderful photo - they all were. Something I haven't seen since the 1970's when I visited Shropshire in winter. From a warm, damp Whangarei.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing photos! You have captured the right moment. I wish it would snow here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Winter beauty everywhere, thanks for sharing John.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your snow shots are beautiful. I would never have thought they were in England. We are supposed to get 15 cm of it tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the frosted yellow flower - the snow here is still lying around but hopefully by the weekend the warmer air which is coming will send it on its. way.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the Buzzard perched on top of the tree. We have ad Buzzards here for a few years now, so majestic gliding through the sky. We are in Brighton and near to the South Downs. Lovely Photos.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is some lovely snow images you have taken John.
    Yes a rarity. I think it was March 2018 the last time I remember snow in Peterborough.
    Not much sign of it down here in sunny Dorset.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful winther landscape!And it is nice to be out for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love the sheep - and everything else you captured on your walk John. I'd missed your posts but am guessing that like most of us life sometimes gets in the way of blogging. I've slowed down a bit myself! Hope all is well and that your Christmas is full of joy and the New Year full of wonderful times, and especially good health.
    Mary in North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  24. A frosty morning, or a sticky snowfall provide the nicest scenes in winter. Wonderful pix!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I saw similar weather, sudden frost and snowfall, at my another British blog friend's. Flowers and leaves coated with frost is beautiful. First snow of the season always cause sense of wonderment and excitement regardless of my age. To the sheep, it would be bewilderment. We are under the attack of Arctic cold wave, but no prospect of snow here in Nara where it snows rarely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for sharing this magical adventure in your winter wonderland! I too would have been out there early with my camera, but my images wouldn't have had your quality!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful photos of your village walk. They are quite magical:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wonderful shots. The sheep look quite put out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The snowy photos show very magical Christmas scenes perfect for next year's Christmas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  30. As I read thus post, John, there was some very light snow falling outside our windows, but regretfully is will turn to rain shortly. What a magical early morning walk you enjoyed and shared as there is nothing like the beauty of new fallen snow, even if the sheep would disagree. I liked the first photos sith frost edging on the flowers and leaves and the patterns on the car.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi John - we had a bit down here ... but I so remember the magical scenery when the snow had fallen ... you've selected some gorgeous shots - and yes where would that photo of the golden leaves covered in snow fit into a calendar. Frost and snow give us fascinating design signs ... cheers and enjoy a peaceful seasonal time - Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).