Wednesday 24 November 2021

Weird Autumn

It's been a weird Autumn this year - warmer, wetter and windier than usual - and it's about to get a whole lot weirder! After walking around in this dragged-out season for several weeks I become restless and start to search for something different, usually aided and abetted by my long telephoto lens. I'll add a few notes after each picture for the baffled and confused......


Windy days take the leaves from the trees but give a few opportunities for taking something slightly different. This what happens if you leave the shutter open for a sixth of a second to allow the movement of the leaves to blur a little on the finished photo.


A more straightforward picture but with the background out of focus; it's just what happens when you photograph small things with a long lens.


The above is actually two photos; one in focus and one wildly out of focus, blended together in the computer to give a nice dreamy effect.


If you focus on the little "sun-sparkles" on running water and use a slow shutter speed they trace strange hieroglyphics on the water's surface.


A single little leaf bent over and bearing strands of cobweb. The background is the sun reflecting off of wet ivy leaves, again way out of focus.


Nothing but the sun shining through a couple of oak leaves.


In focus, out of focus and way, way out of focus. It's fascinating to search out miniature scenes like this; just a slight movement to one side changes everything. Of course if anyone's watching they will think I'm mad - a conclusion you may have already reached yourself!


So at other times I just point and shoot, Billy the Kid style, and ask questions later. Occasionally I like the result.


Two leaves that I picked up on a walk and took home. I scanned a picture of them on my photo-copier. The background is another photo, just very blurred sunlit leaves. Then I put the two together on the lap-top.


The odd abstract pattern above is merely the reflections of leaves and blue skies on the stream near my home.


Circles like the one above are formed by an unfocussed highlight in the background. Photographers call this "bokeh".


More "bokeh" here. And here's another clever trick......


It's done by deliberately moving the camera while taking a photo - the opposite of what you're normally trying to do. I don't usually like the results but this one, using upright trees, a picket fence and autumn colours looks OK to me. And there's more....


If you zoom the lens while taking a picture you get results like the above....sometimes!



You should be able to work that one out for yourself by now. I hope you've enjoyed that slightly different take on Autumn. Don't worry this is not going to turn into a technical blog about photography - I just know that some of you will want to know.


Take care.


26 comments:

  1. I just loved this post - not effects I can hope for with a compact but they are wonderful. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always interesting to see what can happen by adjusting the ISO settings and shutter speeds etc. My favourite among this group is the bright red berries with the blurred background. That's a very pleasing result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an enjoyable and colorful collection of focused and unfocused objects from fall!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos so much. I love the description of all the stuff you were doing while taking these shots. Absolute beauty in your wonderful photo playfulness. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are fabulous, John! I am glad that you explained your technique in each one as it made it so informative. My daughter is getting into photography and I will have to show her your post. Such beautiful work - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your photography experiments. Sometimes I get shots like these without even trying. :) (But the result isn't as good)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did enjoy these.. every single one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An interesting collection of images John. Like David I like the red berries with the blurred background.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant stuff John - there are some beautiful shots here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John - the autumn is about to change - but I love your takes on nature - such fun ... thank you - cheers Hilary
    PS - especially the tree one ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loving this series. Our spring was been cooler, wetter (yay) and windier than usual. And I may have to emulate some of your experiments. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a wonderful way to experiment different ideas and see what happens. I enjoyed your results and my favorite is the one where you moved your camera as you took the photo. The result is amazing, I love it!
    Thanks for this fun post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Winter light gives some beautiful photos

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is nice to have time to play a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful artistic images John.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Now I really enjoyed those, though merging photos is certainly beyond me! Thanks for all your creative efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you play with your photos. They're all so very interesting. I may try a couple of these tricks. You have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day. Hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool effects. Especially like no. 3 and the 3rd to last. Coincidentally, I have been watching some watercolour tutorial videos that use Bokeh in backgrounds. Much easier to do in watercolour than with a camera. You made great use of the technique.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fascinating images John! My favourites are the red berries and the single leaf, the last three images are startling!
    A clever set of images!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your photos are always amazing. Loved seeing these.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post. Your pictures are art. My favourite photo is where you moved your camera during taking a photo. Amazing trees!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Goof for you! Your various experimental shootings ended with satisfactory result. My favorite is the last image. The technique I got interested most is releasing the shutter while moving the camera. I love bokeh effect in general, especially light bokeh.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks so much, John, for these "special effects" mostly done in camera which made them even better. I was wondering what long lens you use and also what camera. I appreciated your explanations of the how you did these photos and it was really not too technical, so thanks. My days of buying digital SLRs and various lenses seem in the past now as my current gear is very minimal with a Fuji digital camera that offers no zoom and an Olympus Stylus (weatherproof) camera with only a 4X zoom.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow. You had fun. I guess you're ready for a season change. It came here pretty quickly. When we departed for Buffalo on the 20th it was still Fall. We returned on the 27th to winter! I don't think there's any going back. The snow on the ground may be here until spring thaw.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoy the fun you're having with your photos. I especially like the reflections pix. Enjoy your day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).