Sunday 8 August 2021

Islands Of Colour

It's been a rather drab weekend here, so what could be better than to show you a few more pictures from Bressingham Gardens and to answer a question that has cropped up since I showed you the last selection.





































I believe it was one of my cousins who asked my brother if there were paths between all the flowers. Well, yes...and no. Alan Bloom, who designed the garden here, did something which was revolutionary for its time. English gardens traditionally consisted of paths and lawns, set off by floral borders. Mr Bloom is usually given credit for inventing the idea of "island beds", where irregularly-shaped flower beds were completely surrounded by lawns and you could walk right around the beds, viewing them from every side, by wandering over the grass. I realised that none of my shots showed this at all, but here's one I took back in 2011.



So I hope that explains it. The lawns survive being walked on really well, perhaps because you're always being attracted by different splashes of colour, meaning that everyone follows a different course across the grass.

Take care.


27 comments:

  1. Enjoyed these... it reminds me I must make a return visit to RHS Harlow Carr very soon. I particularly like that hot pink and orange combo in your 9th photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crocosmia or Montbretia as it used to be called crops up everywhere at this time of the year doesn't it = always guarantees a good splash of colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so appreciate that you posted more photos of that truly beautiful garden. I love that the island beds are surrounded by lawns for walking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to know how these beds are laid out, and the ability to walk on the grass to see the various flowers! I haven't ever seen that, as most of the gardens I've visited want you to stay on paths. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the height and the "wildness" in the photo with the two people walking. You are so lucky to have such accessible places to view gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful photos of the flowers. Nature's colors can't be beat! You have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos! Love these. Garden heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful views, it is an amazing looking garden. Cone flowers are one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A riot of colour and texture to see and absorb. And inspired garden design too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. We have had more rain than usual over here so our plants have thrived, too. I like seeing both the close-ups with which you began this post and the wider view with which you end it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So much variety but all delightful. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The gardens are breathtakingly beautiful and your photos are amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos, the grass looks inviting to walk on to view those flower beds from every angle:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have actually been in gardens where the signs say, "Please walk on the grass" and I remember thinking that it was very agreeable to have directions to do things rather than being admonished not to do things. These gardens are really stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. As I return to gardening after a break of 5 years its good to have inspiration from other gardens. These are lovely places.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very colourful displeys well thought out thanks for pics well done boys.

    ReplyDelete
  17. All of your photos are always a pleasure to see - you are a first class photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful garden with great colours! Reminds me a little bit of Oudof's unusual 'Rivers of Grass' garden at Trentham.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bellos jardines, adoro las flores te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  20. In my dreams my garden looks like Bressingham Gardens John, what glorious colours and yes the idea of being able to walk around the beds makes sense. Beautifully shown here 🌹

    ReplyDelete
  21. Bressingham Gardens is quite the colorful place, John, that shot with the pink cornflowers and yellow flowers behind them was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Las flores animan el jardín , con sus mágicos colores. Me ha encantado recorrerlo, a través de tus bellas fotos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very pretty displays well worth price of a camera to capture .well done boys r john b

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).