Friday 27 March 2020

Music Soothes....

And before anyone misquotes the rest of it, it's "the savage breast", nothing to do with beasts. I couldn't make up my mind which of these two tunes to include so you're treated to both of them. Both could be called lullabies, though I bet Axl Rose didn't know this was a quiet, dreamy song when he strained it through his larynx. Here's Thea Gilmore singing "Sweet Child Of Mine" in her own beautiful way....



And secondly the perfect song at the end of a late-night music session in a pub where they've called last orders long ago and it's time to wander home - Christy Moore with Bill Caddick's song "John O'Dreams".....



Despite what he says in the introduction, it's not Tchaikovsky's tune either, he apparently pinched it too but was less honest about it!


(with thanks to Robin and Roger at https://newdharmabums.blogspot.com/ who first suggested putting up some music every Friday. There's a couple of excellent songs there again this week)


Sweet dreams and take care.

10 comments:

  1. I forgot how much I enjoyed Sweet Child of Mine. It is a beautiful cover by these two. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two beautiful songs, John. Thank you so much for posting these. I love Thea Gilmore's voice. I've never heard her before and I'm going to search for more songs. Hope all is well for you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet Child of Mine is one of my favorites.
    Thanks, John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lovely music to take our minds off the crisis at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great songs - enjoyed listening to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My absolute all-time favourite music to sooth the savage breast is the slow movement from Beethoven's 9th Symphony. There is a lot of other stuff that comes close, but nothing surpasses it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two super songs to soothe the soul John.. enjoyed them both even though I'm listening to your Friday picks on Saturday in Perth :) Happy weekend, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when someone takes a song and does it so different to the original and I like it just as much or more as the version I first heard. I always find it amazing that Guns n Roses could write such good songs.

    I like the other one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely choices - especially enjoyed hearing Christy Moore, it's been too long. Irish music is a great favorite. We were over there last year and a couple of years before that, and the music was amazing, especially in Galway City where we met The High Kings and loved them so much.
    Please share more such as this - so needed at this time.

    Stay well - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been enjoying the weekly music posts and hearing from artists I would never have listened to before. Thanks, John.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).