Wednesday 29 May 2019

Walking Slow To Knocking Hoe

I've been to Knocking Hoe Nature Reserve before but, like all reserves, good timing is vital if you want to see everything at its best. Exactly what I was looking for will become clear in a future post. 

To get there, if like me you rely on public transport, involves a ten mile round walk and the weather forecast looked less than promising. But I've got a waterproof coat, I've got good boots, I've got my map and I've got all day to do it. So here are some photos that I took along the way...…


Knocking Hoe - our eventual destination.

Through the beech woods on the Icknield Way path.

View from the Pegsdon Hills.

The weather was, shall we say, changeable!

Showers over Deacon Hill

Now the ewes have been shorn they look no bigger than 
their rapidly growing lambs.

Trees and cloud shadows.

Bright field.

Large cloud over the Neolithic burial mound known as Knocking Knoll.

Old post.

Path at Knocking Hoe.

And that's where we'll leave it for now.


Take care.



15 comments:

  1. Knocking Knoll, Knocking Hoe — such wonderful names. Where does the knocking come from, was it someone’s name? I love the photo titled Trees and Cloud Shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story goes that a British chieftain is buried under Knocking Knoll with a chest of money. From time to time he can be heard knocking on the chest to check that it's still there! Or more likely it comes from "cnycyn" an old Welsh word meaning a hillock - I know we're not in Wales but lots of English hills have Welsh elements in their name; the language in the past being spoken over a much wider area.

      Delete
  2. The Icknield Way runs through HArwell off the Ridgeway not far from where I live as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knocking Hoe is such a great name I want to go there based on that alone! That weather does look threatening. Getting caught in the rain is one thing, lightening is another entirely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see more....I fell in love with the second photo...but wow, oh, wow....I loved a lot of the others, too. Loved the shadows of the clouds on the fields...love the one trees and shadows. I always loved to watch All Creatures Great and Small in part because of the scenery. I shouldn't admit to it, but have read each book at least 4 or 5 times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John - that's a stunning photographic walk ... thank you. Gorgeous countryside ... and a good walk for the old bones (sorry ... young ones!). So many delightful names ring across our landscapes ... love your title ... Walking Slow to Knocking Hoe ... fun - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. More wonderful British countryside. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look forward to learning what you were looking for - I know that the Pasqueflower grows on Knocking Hoe, but they are now long gone. Maybe it is something to be seen 'flitting' or maybe 'flying' in those beautifully photographed skies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rolling hills are so inviting. The threatening sky adds so much interest to the photos. Great walk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Getting up high for your area! Lovely views.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful walk with the changeable light...which made for a nice album of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful walk there. Love that tree and cloud shadow photo. The perspective makes it look like a green sky. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A path through the woods is always so inviting. The light and view of the rolling fields is beautiful in photo 3. I'm looking forward to seeing some great bulbous cumulus clouds as our days get sunnier and warmer. It's been a cool, rainy spring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely walk, I enjoyed seeing your photos (sorry my comment is landing so long after the post!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).