Wednesday 18 April 2018

A Garden In April

The first summery day of 2018 with bright sunshine and temperatures up to about 22°C with just a light southerly breeze. Perfect. And perfect for this month's jaunt to the Botanic Gardens in Cambridge to see how the seasons are progressing.


The Pasque Flowers are blooming on the rockery and looking very showy. These are much bigger than you ever see in the wild in this country, though they are also Pulsatilla vulgaris unless I misread the little label.


The Yoshino Cherry tree is almost in full blossom at the moment, though the grass still has to be cut - not a bad place to work though on a sunny day.


I went up close to get some more detailed shots of the cherry blossom.


No idea what these red flowers are though they are certainly attractive. (it's Clianthus apparently - see the comment from Kathy below).
  

Part of the garden is given over to the Systematic Beds which were designed by John Stevens Henslow, who laid out the gardens, as a teaching device for his botany students. The plants are arranged according to their scientific classification rather than any thought to make a pleasing assemblage of flowers. There's not much flowering there at all right now, though I did find these dazzling sunbursts of Willdenow's Leopards Bane. There were certainly no leopards around so I guess it must work!


We saw these Red Dogwood stems back in January when they were adding their vivid hue to the Winter Garden. For my money they look even better now when a few lime-green leaves are beginning to show.


Another part of the garden is given over to the Chronological Beds where plants are arranged according to the time when they were introduced to Britain from elsewhere in the world. This is Honesty, that traditional flower of every cottage garden, which was apparently brought here some time before 1550. Before that there was no Honesty in these islands!


I always have to check the name of Crown Imperials as to my ears it sounds all wrong for a flower, more like a sort of toffee or perhaps a brand of household paint. But no, Crown Imperial is correct or even Fritillaria imperialis if you want it in Latin.


These magnificent catkins are hanging from the Hop Hornbeam tree. The reason the tree is here is to illustrate some of the trees which should be part of our British woodlands, but which were destroyed by the last Ice Age and never recolonised. They say you learn something every day and that's what I learned today!


The Cambridge University Botanic Garden holds the National Tulip Collection. These are grown in pots and moved into the glasshouses when in flower. (They're not really six feet tall, that's just me playing with unexpected viewpoints again!).


While there are only a few of each variety on show they nevertheless show the diversity of colours and forms of the humble tulip.


Outside again to see some of the wildflowers which are encouraged in the grassy areas.


Each time I come here I think I'll try to show you more general views and include some of the beautiful trees, but once again I've come home with a memory card full of colourful flowers instead. So I'll leave you with this shot of the lake and a promise that I'll try harder next time.

Take care.



12 comments:

  1. 22 degrees! I can only dream of such temperatures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual John your photographs are stunning. I love the Pasque Flower and shall now try and find one for my rockery - although they are particular where they will grow. I smiled at Leopard's Bane - it was one of my father's favourite flowers. Haven't seen it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Red flowers in your photograph is know as Clianthus. Beautiful photo's taken in beautiful surroundings on a beautiful Spring Day. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful images, John! English gardens are the best !

    ReplyDelete
  5. 22 degrees! Not quite so warm here, and the wind was chilly too here, but it was certainly warm and sunny here for a change! What a fantastic collection of photos, the garden is looking amazing right now - a perfect day to visit. I look forward to seeing what's flowering in May.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The flowers are all so pretty! There's lots of stuff blooming where I live too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the excellent photos, as well as comments which make them have names I can look at again later, because of course, I'll forget them. I've not been looking at tame English-type gardens yet, but will certainly do so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sure did come home with some great shots of beautiful flowers. I like those Crown Imperials. Natty shot of the lovely tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - spring at last and such a gorgeous cherry blossom tree!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All those colours, lovely! The cherry blossom is gorgeous.
    We are having very warm weather too since a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A wonderful collection of photos, so many beautiful flowers featured, the colourful and exotic ones are wonderful but my favourite is the cowslip as it reminds me of my childhood and playing in the fields and around the woods near home:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You do get to see the most wonderful sights. The flowers are truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).