Sunday 26 November 2017

Handiwork For The Knees

Lets pop back to Great Abington church which we visited on a walk last week...



It's a lovely old church - some of it dating back to the thirteenth century - and it's in a pleasant situation, just across the winding River Granta from its sister church in Little Abington.


Inside it's surprisingly light, the result of the large clear windows. Apart from one large monument of a knight with his sword there wasn't much that caught my eye till....


....I looked down. I often wonder at the workmanship involved carving the wood and stone but, lets face it, I wouldn't have a clue how to do any of it. But I do know a little about these as my mother embroidered several for her church in Grantchester and I designed one for her and even had a little go at the stitching. 

Here's a selection made, not by my mother, but by the parishioners of St Mary's, Great Abington.....








Besides the ones illustrated here there were also many to the memory of departed loved ones. The proper name for them is "hassocks" but everyone nowadays seems to call them "kneelers", as that's what they are used for - protecting your poor old knees from the cold, hard floors when kneeling to pray.  

There are many long hours of patient and precise stitching on display here.


Take care.



13 comments:

  1. This church is a gem, as you say the light is really lovely pouring in though the stunning arched lead-light windows. The kneelers are fabulous! I see cricket features well in Abington ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely tradition! Beautiful work! I’ve never seen them before. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John - they are magnificent aren't they ... I'm always amazed at the workmanship of kneelers, samplers and wall hangings ... these are a delight to see in your Abington churches ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such as great shame that the English language has been dumbed down.
    I always thought that kneelers were the people on their knees.
    Those hassocks are truly a work of art and so very attractive, that they could take mind off the job in hand, which is probably why the eyes need to be closed when praying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love these colorful, unique works of art. i could never do one, though. I can't sit still that long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never heard of kneelers but they sure are gorgeous. Lots of work went in to creating them and what a lovely addition to the church.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember seeing these in some of the churches I visited in England, and was surprised to see such lovely work in such a lowly position :) They must make the hard wood much easier on the knees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to know the number of hours spent making those...I bet we would be amazed. That is a beautiful old church.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those kneeler cushions are works of art! What a wonderful contribution to this beautiful country church.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a unique personal touch! I've only seen a few of those here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So interesting! I don't think they are used over here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What charming cushions and a lovely autumnal scene in the first shot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Intersant photos. Every work is very beautiful, but they are not used in my country.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).