Sunday 28 July 2024

Half An Hour In Thaxted

 Thaxted - in Essex - half an hour to fill with photos - lets see what we can find

Thaxted One - diamonds in the glass



The Swan - we'd been for a pub meal - too warm for many people to want to sit outside - inside all was cool and calm



Town Street - the Medieval Guildhall and Church - just about every building in the centre of Thaxted is of historic importance



The Almshouses and John Webb's Windmill - a classic view



On the corner - Watling Street, Bolford Street, Watling Lane, Newbiggen Street - see the sign? - Cutlers Green - a reference to the cutlery trade who made swords as well as knives



It's all downhill from here!



Flowers in Stoney Lane - right outside "Dick Turpin's Cottage" - I didn't realise the famous highwayman was also a gardener!



Actually there's no known connection to the old scoundrel - apart from the name, of course - the historic buildings register is less fanciful - "Circa 1410, 3 storeyed town house, jettied at each floor"  



Here's that  iconic Guildhall again - paid for by the Guild of Cutlers when cutlery was the main trade in the town - originally used as the town meeting hall - market stalls were set up underneath - later it became a school



A pretty door in Orange Street - possibly a market was held here too and this is where oranges were sold - Cadgers' Row is nearby - and "cadger" is an old name for an itinerant trader



More historic houses in Orange Street - this one showing a flint façade, which is unusual here



The village water pump, which is no longer in use - and the postbox which may also become redundant, judging by the way things are going



A fancy bay window in one of the upper storeys of The Recorder's House - the recorder was an official who acted as a judge.



But let us not judge the person who chose this unusual colour-scheme



Looking back down Watling Street



Thaxted Two - diamonds and church spire


Take care

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for showing all the fabulous houses in Thaxted. Essex in people's minds is always to do with 'The Essex Girls', yet as a county has beautiful countryside and beautiful houses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Difficult not to judge the painter of that greeen door John. Beautiful old place. I love the way what I think is probably erigeron is creeping up the steps in your first photo 'flowers in stoney lane.'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John - well that's amazing ... I'd no idea Thaxted was so interesting ... so I'm delighted you've introduced us to the town. Fascinating ... and what a gorgeous day you chose to visit. Brilliant - thanks so much - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. No hay nada más que salir a la calle, cámara en mano y fijarse en lo que nos rodea. Siempre se pueden encontrar, buenas imágenes.
    Un abrazo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit to not knowing at thing about (nor having heard of) Thaxted. It certainly is worthy with all the historic buildings. Very historic. I wouldn't want to live on the third floor, nor have heavy appliances in "1410, 3 storeyed town house, jettied at each floor" Love the leaded diamond glass windows...and this construction nut wishes to see how the glass and lead is encased in a wooden frame, if you happen to get the chance next time to show that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so would love to see inside all of these! The chartreuse door is a dandy...and I love the other door and the pink flowers. I was wondering what they were. At first I thought hollyhocks, but then looking closer I wondered were they Rose of Sharon bushes. But I really think they are Hollyhocks. There was an old farmer we knew, that loved pink Hollyhocks and I never see them but I think of him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You do find the most amazing places to see in each town you visit, John! My favorite is the " 3 storeyed town house" as I am liking all of those windows! It must take a lot to clean them and keep them in good shape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A wonderful tour of Thaxted, I enjoyed it, John.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly didn't waste 30 minutes, John. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love looking at all the old buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such wonderful buildings. I enjoyed your half an hour visit:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another intriguing post, John. What a cool place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thaxted is such a charming small town. You found so many attractive things. I love the traditional architecture above all.
    How creative and productive you’ve been! Each and every post is interesting. I enjoyed a geese post a lot. Wish you a pleasant summer season ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looked like quite a charming little town, John, but I couldn’t help but wonder about not seeing anyone around. Is Thaxted always so people-less?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed more busy than my pictures show, but it was an unusually warm day so perhaps that had some influence on it. I do believe that since Covid our streets are less busy than they once were.

      Delete
  15. I looked at the wonky roof lines, the wavy glass, the steps which accommodate a slope, and what I noticed is that there is a real beauty in that old town's imperfections.

    ReplyDelete
  16. the houses of this village seem faithful to their history & "Dick Turpin's cottage" nice with its pebble pavement

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks delightful. I've never visited, looks as though I should!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What an amazing place. So beautiful and historic at seemingly every turn. Wonderful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a pretty and fascinating village, John. Thank you for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thaxted certainly has its charm, John, and seeing the buildings was a wonderful tour, but what was ,most interesting was the absence of any residents. And, I also wondered if there was a local pub, perhaps everyone was there😉

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).