Sunday 9 July 2023

Chasing Dragons

This time of year is not always the best for watching birds - some are on nests, some hidden away with their youngsters, some moulting and only a few non-breeding migrants returning just yet. But it is the time to go searching for other treasures of nature.



They won't all be rare, of course, but who could ignore the fiery flash of a Red Admiral butterfly skittering among the thistles?



And who could pass by the poise of a Banded Demoiselle? And the photo reveals that this particular demoiselle has notably hairy legs!



There are still some birds to be found at the two reserves my brother and I visited last week. A watchful Grey Heron poses in one of the shallow pools of the reedbed. Nothing escapes that piercing yellow eye.



Great Mullein is a plant of roadsides, railway lines and waste places. It's impressively tall but only a small section of its flower spike is in bloom at any one time. When you look closely it's rather pretty; I've seen a lot less showy plants that are tended lovingly by gardeners.



Here's what I was really hunting for - dragons! Well, dragonflies anyway. This is the female, or perhaps an immature male, of the Ruddy Darter. 



Here's the male, which looks quite different. They are a common species around the reedbeds, flooded gravel pits and slow-moving rivers that feature heavily on our local nature reserves.



What's the collective noun for a group of Seven-Spot Ladybirds? 4 x 7 = 28! though there were actually far more of them than the picture shows.



A Painted Lady butterfly. The first one I've had a chance to photograph this year. They fly here from mainland Europe most summers and every few years we get a sizeable influx. I'll not tell you how many pictures I took before it agreed to turn to the right position.



While I was busy photographing the insects a young Muntjac deer tiptoed across the marshy ground. Even if the lack of little horns didn't give away that it was a very young individual, its complete innocence and heedlessness would have betrayed its youthful naivety. 



Damselflies everywhere! Two Common Blues and a Blue-Tailed Damselfly soak up the morning sun.



This is the Maiden Pink, a speciality of the sandy soils of Breckland - but a very uncommon one these days. It is threatened by both over-grazing and under-grazing of the heathland. Too much grazing and the plants are devoured by sheep, too little grazing and scrub encroaches, overwhelming the tiny flowers. These were growing in a small garden of native plants near the visitor centre at Lakenheath Fen RSPB reserve.



Back to the dragonflies. A Four-Spotted Chaser perches on its favourite reed. The dark spots on the wings give it its name. There are two spots on each of the four wings, 2 x 4 =  4 ? Hmmm...



One little yellow triangle just behind the wings though definitely equals a Norfolk Hawker. These were once restricted to the Norfolk Broads but, happily, they have now spread to other places - though they are still a threatened species and I always feel privileged to see one. And, indeed, all the other treasures found on my rambles.


Take care.


29 comments:

  1. So many dragonflies in your post! I love the hair legs of demoiselle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treasures indeed. Thank you for sharing their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kind of walk, John. The similarity between species on both side of the Atlantic is remarkable - or perhaps, not, in fact. A camera is an artist’s palette in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Los insectos abundan tambiĆ©n, hay has hecho una buena recopilaciĆ³n de ellos.
    Feliz domingo

    ReplyDelete
  5. All this Maths John, my brain hurts already. Lovely variety of images you have taken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous dragonflies, and very cute little deer. Hope you didn't get your feet wet too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those delicate wings! Terrific photos, John.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How many kinds of deer are in England? It seems to me i have seen several different ones on your blog? The damselflies are truly beautiful. I am wondering, do you have to deal with mosquitoes in the bogs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are six species of deer living wild in England. Red Deer and Roe Deer are native species, Fallow Deer were introduced by the Normans, Sika Deer, Muntjacs and Chinese Water Deer were introduced more recently to parks and zoos and escaped into the wild where they have thrived. All of them can be found around here - Fallow, Roe and Muntjacs being the ones most usually encountered. We do get mosquitoes here and they could become more of a problem if the climate gets warmer as scientists expect.

      Delete
  9. I love seeing all the dragonflies and butterflies there. It reminds me that we've hardly seen any here this summer at all. I did see one ladybug yesterday. Your beautiful photos remind me to keep looking for the summer beauty. Although I probably won't get to see a deer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those maiden pinks John. I have never seen one = obviously the places where I have lived have not had the right soil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice variety of dragonflies! I only see two or three different ones regularly here. Lots of lovely finds for a summer hike.
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredible photos of all the small different insects. I enjoyed seeing the dragonflies, hardly ever see them here, I'm sure there are some but I haven't noticed. Great photos as always, John.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your shots of the insects are wonderful, John. I rarely see dragonflies sitting still.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After the hunt for elephants I wasn't sure where you were taking us to see dragons. But dragonflies are a different matter. Such delicate things with a fierce name. Thanks again and as always enjoyed tagging along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The insect are such great colours! I have occasionally seen a plant covered in ladybugs but never photographed them. Opportunity missed for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the butterfly and dragonfly pics! I know those little insects are hard to capture, so you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You found some very colorful insects. I know that they are very hard to photograph. You've done a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stunning photographs! Thanks ever so much for sharing your wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful shots of British wildlife - I allow Great Mullein to grow in my garden to accomodate the caterpillars of the Mullein moth - Cucullia verbasci to survive. They are able to reduce a huge plant down to a mound of dust and fluff in seemingly no time at all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos. I tried some insect shots recently and they are really hard to keep in focus.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Such a variety of dragonflies! Mine like to sit on my clothesline outside my kitchen window and entertain me while I’m doing dishes. So nice of them, isn’t it?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful variety. When Max and I were in the Far North we had lots of dragonflies but I can't remember the last time I saw one. Such a shame as I have always liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven’t seen several different species of dragonfly in a day. I love Damselflies best of all insects..., probably. I will see Dragonflies and Damselflies in September. Here it’s too hot for them now. I read your re-comment to one comment to learn Sika deer is in Britain. Sika deer is what we call “é¹æSika” in Japanese. Sika and Fallow Deer are difficult for me to tell apart due to the spotted coat and the white heart-shaped rump.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Having just read The Running Hare by John Lewis Stempel about the decline in wildlife and wild flowers due to industrial farming, it was cheering to happen on this and see the beauties of nature that can still be found - and so beautifully photographed by you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. An amazing set of photos. Well done. The insect life in the reserves is lovely. The lady beetles are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That shot of the deer is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  27. These dragons were more fun to capture than the other ones, for sure, John. Dragonflies are always so delicately beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).