Friday 19 May 2023

Matters Of Opinion

As I've noted before on this blog, humans and birds don't always agree on what constitutes attractive scenery. Nowhere is this more in evidence than at the RSPB's Minsmere reserve down on the Suffolk coast.



While there are trails leading through dappled woodland, the birds here tend to be the same ones we see close to home and, having spent a couple of hours driving here, it's natural to concentrate more on the habitats we don't see every day.



But first lets stop for a few moments and watch the Sand Martins as they scythe through the air and home in on their nesting burrows. Good luck with trying to photograph them!



Here's what we came to see - the Scrapes, with Sizewell Nuclear Power Station looming in the background. It won't win any prizes in a Beautiful Britain competition, but to many species of birds this place is irresistible. 



It doesn't even look natural, but to the birds it matters not a jot. At any season you'll always find something here worth training the binoculars on. Unless the birds decide to come close, as they sometimes do, you'll not use the camera much, but who cares?



OK, I'll take a picture of a Canada Goose and three rapidly growing goslings - just so I've got something to put on my blog!



Before WWII this land was drained for agriculture. Then threats of an invasion persuaded the government to have it flooded again - it's not easy to land men and equipment on marshy ground. Concrete anti-tank cubes were also placed along the shoreline, where they remain to this day. But what's that I spy out to sea?



And with that curious eyesore we'll head for the kind of habitat that my brother and I love to frequent during the middle part of the day. No two opinions about it!



A short journey along narrow roads brings us to the hamlet of Eastbridge and its quaintly named pub, The Eel's Foot. (I explained its odd name at the end of an earlier post). It's clearly gone up-market since last time we were here....



It's hardly a Michelin star, but since last time we visited it's gained an apostrophe! Inside everything was as cosy and welcoming as ever. 

Now, in the days before every home had a TV, this was one of Suffolk's singing pubs. Farmworkers and other menfolk from the village would gather on Friday nights to "sing, say or pay". In other words they would take it in turns to sing a song, say a joke or rhyme or, if they preferred, pay a small amount into the kitty to help pay for the beer.



One of their number, Jumbo Brightwell, even had an LP of his unaccompanied singing released on the Topic label, "Songs From The Eel's Foot". It revealed him as a straightforward, uncomplicated singer of traditional songs. If you're wondering where the barman is in the last picture he's gone to place our food order while we take our beers to a table beneath a famous ceiling.



For a few years the BBC's "Springwatch" nature programmes were based at Minsmere reserve and the crew, very sensibly, made frequent visits to the Eastbridge pub, where they left their mark on the ceiling. Ah, here comes our food.



Feeling much fuller, we decided to have a stroll around the vicinity. Not very many buildings to view but all very peaceful.



And I mustn't forget the farm, of course.



Rural England is putting up a small, though valiant, resistance to the might of the nuclear industry, though I rather suspect that the decision has already been made, with money tipping the balance.



In a few moments our SatNav will have us travelling down this meagre byway to our next destination.

But first.....


....our mystery item. It's all to do with the Hornsea 3 offshore wind farm - but probably not in the way you imagine. As part of an ecological compensation scheme Ørsted are building several of these structures. The plan is that Kittiwakes (a kind of gull) will build their nests upon them. It's not quite as daft as it sounds. Although Kittiwakes usually nest on tiny ledges on vertical cliffs they have been unexpectedly creative in recent decades, nesting on buildings and bridges in the city of Newcastle as well as offshore oil platforms. Like I said birds have different ideas to us when it comes to ideal locations.


Take care 


21 comments:

  1. The kittiwake nest sites are completely new to me, John, and I would have prided myself on keeping up with such things. Great innovation. Do you know if they are are achieving their desired goal? I did see a study a couple of years ago (maybe longer) dealing with the biomass of fish in British coastal waters and the distribution of prey species as ocean temperatures rise, and the impact of overfishing, and the impact on colonial nesting species such as kittiwakes, puffins, guillemots etc. The story at that time was not good, so I hope that fish stocks of the right kind have recovered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've only just been completed, David, so we'll probably have to wait till next year to see how effective they are. As we have no cliffs to speak of in East Anglia such Kittiwakes as we have are nesting on oil platforms and some dockyard buildings.

      Delete
  2. Hay una gran variedad de paisajes, en tus fotografías y todos son muy bellos para la vista.
    Que tengas un buen fin de semana.Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John - I'm sure the kittiwakes will take up residence ... interesting structure though. Thanks for the tour ... and it was good to see the apostrophe appropriately in situ ... I've only had eel once ... when my brother cooked it for my homecoming for a visit from SA - it was not what I wanted that day and put me right off! I really should try again sometime - I enjoyed your tour though - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting walk...a seaside that is less than inviting still, and a nesting place that definitely looks military to me! I fully expected it to have generators, radar, wi-fi, and various other AI thing-a-ma-gigs in service to foreign invasion! Echos from those awful concrete never-to-errode blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cow is my favourite of these, John.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So the mystery object is a large birdhouse? I never would have guessed that.
    I love the lovely lilac under the Eel's Foot sign!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No picture of your pub grub? As to the mystery structure I had no guess. Great walk again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goslings are gorgeous, bullock is sizing you up nicely, and love the sand martins nesting site with, I think, a couple of them in the shot (unless they are fighter jets). It's years since the farmer and I visited here - just such a lovely day as in your shots - it brought back lovely memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Up close and personal, the cow's face made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope the birds like the structures that have been built for them and take up residence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nver realised Sizewell waas over that way. Intersting structure for the gulls to nest in

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really, really hope that the Kittywakes (great name) take to their structure and make it their own. What a wonderful innovation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never would have guessed your mystery item! I would enjoy a stop at the Eel's Foot. Looks interesting. I'm intrigued by those anti-tank cubes. Those, along with marshy land, would likely be an excellent deterrent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cow face is funny. The bar scene playing Eel's song is really reflecting the local charm.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've found a great area to tour all day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh. I was thinking of taking up residence on the mystery structure. Guess not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the pub! What a great diversion. I laughed out loud at the cow. Gotta love that face!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a delightful walk. Love seeing the views there, those adorable goslings... and that cow's face. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah! the birds do like to go there just to top up their quota of radiation.
    Don't tell me you sang there in the Pub John.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As we set off on the delightful, dappled woodland trail, I never imagined your post would take us where it did. I just love the goslings, curious cow and the Eel's Foot Pub.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).