Sunday 30 April 2023

The Things We Do For Blogs

Last time I was with you, you may remember, I was peering into prickly bushes. For this post I'm crouching, kneeling and sometimes rolling around in a wet field. It takes all sorts.



I had closed the back door, jumped on my bike and pedalled a mile-and-a-half through the village to a small, badly-drained meadow, where I locked my bike to a fence and wandered off with my camera. At least I was alone this time and Les didn't have to put up with my ridiculous behaviour.



And here is the reason for my grovelling around in the dewy grass - cowslips!



They are not rare or unusual flowers, but I happen to like 'em! And that's a good enough reason for me to be out taking photographs on what started as a foggy morning and is forecast to turn into a cloudy day.



There's some brightness penetrating the clouds though, so if I want to make the most of the sparkling dew I'd best get a move on.



Cowslips are traditionally associated with this time of year and were always picked for May Day garlands. They're also known as St Peter's Keys, from their supposed resemblance to a bunch of golden keys.



Although this meadow is quite waterlogged, the cowslips tend to grow on the drier parts. And the sun is coming out and beginning to dry out the morning dew.



They look quite spectacular with the sun shining through them.



I began to wander off and photograph some of the supporting cast, like these Celandine.
🎜 Sweet Celandine, good times never seemed so good ðŸŽœ



There's always one that has to step out of line!



But these are the other wild flowers that always go together in my mind with cowslips - Lady's Smock. I once heard it called Milkmaids and have never been able to get that name out of my mind. They don't "go together" in nature however; Lady's Smock preferring the wetter parts.



A small bee was fuelling up on nectar. There were also a few butterflies on the wing as the morning grew warmer. I hope that one will visit a flower near me - it's rarely any use chasing after them.



A flicker of yellow announced that a male Brimstone had just alighted nearby. Even its tiny weight was enough to bend the flower stalk.



And here's an Orange Tip, another of our early butterflies.



Just one more shot of the cowslips, then I'd better be going home. Ah, here's where I left my bicycle.




Take care.


28 comments:

  1. Having had the pleasure of wandering through meadows filled with Cowslips I utterly concur that they are delightful. And wallowing in the mud, hanging over the precipice, kneeling till you can't move - that's all part of being a photographer, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful flowers all...and I do appreciate your antics as photographer to capture your art. It was worth it in my mind. I didn't have any familiarity with these flowers, so have now been introduced to them by you. Grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard of Cowslips but have never seen one. What a lovely post this was to ready on a dreary day here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, thank you, thank you, John! Those are fabulous shots of such lovely wildflowers! I went out Friday to get my annual photos of the bluebells blooming here. But I just stand and shoot, no crouching among the flowers for me - I might not be able to get back up!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was heartening to see cowslips on motorway banks near here...but less so to see the edges being weedkillered!
    The bluebells are just out, here....and primroses and wood anemones still blooming in sheltered spots

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was such a wonderful walk. Love seeing all the flowers and butterflies. Thank you for photographing all the blooming beauty there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rolling around in a wet field was definitely worth it. The delicate nature of the cowslip and Ladies Smock is captured beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen these, John, since we have only been in England in late summer. So delicate! Thank you for the effort to capture these photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In Lincolnshire they were always 'cuckoo flowers', in Yorkshire the farmers called them 'milkmaid' - a rose by any other name and all that. Perfect camera fodder for a damp morning when they are at their best. They have a perfect 'gentle' scent too. What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  10. John, what a lovely flower! I don't think we have those around here. It's almost time to go for a walk where the wild flowers are in abundance including trillium. My daughter has some blooming but they get more sun in her garden than in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't they lovely? There's the centre of a roundabout near here filled with them - but it would be difficult to get across to photograph them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your damp ground grovelling. I appreciate it. Muchly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rolling around and taking pictures was worth all the effort. They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A very fine control on depth of field here. The butterfly is also very special and unique to my eyes

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures of the Cowslip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, we sure appreciate your sacrifices on our behalf!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A good walk and lot of great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is lovely to see the cowslips out in force at the moment. Not so familiar with the Ladies Smock though. I'll have to look out for that one.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for beauty filled posts. Judy from Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cowslips always stir fond memories of my grandmother's gardens. I tried transplanting a few of her cowslips to my garden and wasn't successful. Your photos of the cowslips, lady' smock, and butterflies are especially cheering today. Thanks ever so much! Stay safe & well.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The cowslips are so pretty and you did justice to them with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  22. For all your effort, you got lots of beautiful photos, John. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to go to school in Cowslip Rd, London. I was only 6 when we left for Australia. It's great to see what the flower looks like. It was worth rolling in the wet to get such beautiful photos. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  24. John, I appreciate the things you do for a blog post as those cowslips images are lovely and so your crouching in a wet field was well worth the effort! I had never seen an orange tip butterfly (aptly named) and the brimstone reminded me of a sulfur. Maybe the next time you will get a few bees to come closer, but not TOO close.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lovely photos and lovely cowslips. There seems to be lots of them around this year. Lady's Smock is one of my favourites so pretty and delicate:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yo ya procuro, mirar bien la postura, porque padezco de cervicales. Aunque cuando vas por el campo, siempre surgen imprevisto. Recuerdo un año que iba a tomar fotos de girasoles y que llevaba un pantalón corto, por el calor. Cuando me di cuenta una gran cantidad de hormigas que me corrían por las piernas y además eran bien grandes. Buenos picotazos me dieron, hasta que logré que cayeran todas al suelo.
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super images John. If you want to see an Orange Tip then wait by a Lady's Smock. They always pitch on them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).