Monday 27 February 2023

Out Of The Ruins...

 ...came forth more photographs. During the last excursion, in search of ruins in Bedfordshire, I took a lot more photos than I needed, some of which were not much to do with my intended aims and others that just didn't fit in. Come and have a peek inside my scatterbrained approach to gathering photographs.



A more imaginative representation of the ruined Houghton House - maybe I do believe in ghosts (just a little bit!).

Though it's not ghosts, but trolls, who inspired this post. Although all the comments I get here are polite and encouraging, I do get occasional phone calls criticising my efforts - "You didn't make much of that church, brother!" OK, Les, here's a few extra pics.



Here's a different view of Clophill Old Church, emphasising the huge windows either side of the nave.



And here is what's left of a consecration mark, which indicates where a bishop has sprinkled holy water in order to consecrate the building. There should be twelve of these crosses, inside or outside the church. Three remain at Clophill.



And in the churchyard there's a little path made with stone slabs and inscribed with what I imagine are the words of members of the community. There's a long-distance footpath that follows the Greensand Ridge, we really must explore some of it in the summer.



A quiet corner of the churchyard, with views to the farmland beyond. We also wandered down to see the "new" church, built to replace this one.



I think you can see how much the villagers loved their old church from the way the replacement has been built in similar style.



At some stage during the day my eye alighted on this budding twig, silhouetted against the grey sky.



At Houghton House I failed to show you one of the pair of horses that came to greet us.



And this is the grand avenue of trees as you approach the House. It must look very pretty in autumn.... or spring.... or summer.



Houghton House is unusual in that every side of it was designed to impress. This is also thought to be the work of Inigo Jones, the first person to take classical designs from ancient times and incorporate them into his buildings.



Then it was time to make our way back down the avenue of trees. Just as we got back to the car.....



....the house was illuminated by a stray shaft of sunlight breaking through the clouds. It didn't last long, though the cloud layer did begin to lighten a little.



At Ampthill (it's Ampt-hill, by the way, not Amp-thill) a Robin was there to greet us with a burst of song. To be truthful, these little birds are fiercely territorial and their song is one way of defending their territory against others of their ilk, and they sing all year round.



Besides the Catherine Cross, which I showed you last time, there's also the Ampthill Camp Memorial Cross. In 1914, Lord Kitchener, speaking in the House of Lords, appealed  for any former officers who were qualified to train men for the army to come forward. The Duke of Bedford, who was a former Colonel, applied and within a few weeks huts were erected and a training camp established on his park. After the war the Duke went to great lengths to discover how many men who had passed through the camp had died in battle and paid for this memorial to the 707 men lost.



The sombre skies seemed entirely appropriate for such a sad period in world history, though I wouldn't have minded a few more drifting sunbeams to light up the landscape on our walk.



That's your lot for today!


Take care.


29 comments:

  1. I take photos because I like to, I reel I am recording a moment in time which can be relived again by others. I don't think you are any different in what you take

    ReplyDelete
  2. De noche, no me atrevería a entrar ahí. No porque crea en los fantasmas, sino porque al escuchar algún ruido, me podría asustar.
    Aún recuerdo de niña, una noche que entré al segundo patio, bajo la luz de la luna y regresé corriendo en busca de mi padre, porque había visto una sombra sobre el caballete. La sombra no era otra cosa que un pantalón que se mecía con el viento y la sombra se proyectaba sobre la pared. Yo salí corriendo, sin mirar ni siquiera para atrás. Después entré de nuevo con mi padre y pude verlo con mis propios ojos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know about consecration marks. You teach me something new every time I read your posts. And aren't we lucky to have the legacy of such greats as Inigo Jones and Capability Brown in our history? Such amazing vision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is an interesting story, John, probably deserving of another visit or two. I am reminded in a perverse sort of way that old churchyards and burial places are great for birds. They are quiet, often have undisturbed areas with extensive ground cover and mature trees. I had a book years ago about birding in the old churches of upper New York State, many abandoned, and I suspect you have the beginnings of such a work in this post! Put me down for a signed copy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of our churchyards are managed as small nature reserves. Our local church has just a small area that is left partly wild, in summer I've seen Spotted Flycatchers there.

      Delete
  5. Those are just as interesting as the first set. Glad they didn't end up in the trash. Is the house ruins secured in any way or is it doomed to crumble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the site is managed by English Heritage who try to maintain the status quo and make sure that visitors are not injured by falling masonry! The old church is similarly maintained, but by the villagers.

      Delete
  6. Does your brother take lots of photos too or is he along for the hike? I always enjoy seeing more of your photos, John! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did take some photos on this outing, but doesn't always do so.

      Delete
  7. Buildings made from stone last a long time and when they are abandoned the rocks just stay there. Nice tour .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love seeing the views there, places I will never see with my own eyes. I so appreciate that you and your brother take these nice long walks and share what you see with us. And, I know you know how much I love seeing that Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And a nice lot it is! That horse is a beauty, and I thank you for the little Robin. The hall's setting is so impressive. What a glorious home it must have been.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning photos. I visited Houghton House many years ago when I lived in Leighton Buzzard. I love your avenue shot, and the view through the brick opening. Lovely image of the cute little robin.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful tour, John. Love seeing the ruins, they make you think what it was like back in the days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always take us on such interesting and beautiful tours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful! I hope you are going to explore Greensand Ridge in summer or maybe spring and share the pictures of the avenue of trees with us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Favourite photos are the ones of the ruins.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The abandoned mansion there is gorgeous. The decay and the rustic look are priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous...I love Historic Buildings and even Ruins. Where I live sadly preservation isn't a priority so most have been lost...Dawn the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely photos as always and I'm envious of the consecration cross; I've yet to discover one though I look whenever I explore a church on walks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your photos! That was a handsome looking horse, too. Houghton House must have been impressive in it's day. Still impressive today!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those mansion pictures are just gorgeous. I love the grand treelined approach. I hope that you go back in the spring...and in the summer...and in the fall, just to catch that one picture in four seasons of glory.

    Trolls are mean and big, but they're not very clever. You can sort out your brother. :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi John - I love Isabel Jacks' poetic inscription ... the greensand walk. Lovely photos - those long walks of trees are just gorgeous - yes a little more sun will be along soon. The churchyard and two churches are interesting contrasts ... lovely post - thank you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  21. John, I agree that there is nothing like a good ruin, and I don’t mean that in any sort of mean-spirited way. I enjoyed this post and the previous one as that abandoned mansion was lovely even in its now derelict state. Thanks for taking me along on this wonderful outing…more please.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I like the last photo best, it reminds me of a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh they are all very beautiful taken!Such a wonderful place!Lucky you to see those ruins:))

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful photos of the ruins in both of your posts. The remains of the old church and house are fascinating and so atmospheric:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. The avenue of trees approach to the house would be a delight to walk.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).