Monday 2 January 2023

First Steps Into The New Year

 So this is 2023.....


.....and, believe it or believe it not, this was the very first photo of the year - snowdrops in my local wood. Not the finest bunch of flora to ever grace this blog but certainly the earliest. The rest of the wood will not have any snowdrops for some time, but this little clump that grows right beside the chalk stream is always the first to show.



The rest of my village walk didn't look a lot different from the previous year. I was up early as I'd seen in the New Year from the comfort of my bed.

I remember getting up once as a child to see what all the fuss was about, only to find that nothing of interest happened as one year ticked over into the next (there were no midnight fireworks in those days). All I could report was that some of the grown-ups were giggling more than usual, but, being seven-and-a-half (and sober), I couldn't see the joke.



There's still plenty of mistletoe on this tree, no one being foolhardy enough to risk their neck for a stolen kiss.



I found another leafless "tree" on this fallen tree-trunk, that was rotting away beside the little footbridge on Shepreth L-Moor. I've no idea what caused those patterns, but perhaps some kind of insect that burrowed away beneath the bark.



Despite appearances the Moor (as we call it) is not as waterlogged as it can be at this time of year, which is surprising after all the rain we've had.



A few of the smaller birds are already beginning to sing and new life is springing from the bark of that fallen tree



Yet another section of the same tree-trunk. I keep looking at this picture and finding new patterns hidden away. It's like trying to read the runes to find out what the coming year might hold. 

*******

But I also have a few photos from an end-of-year walk around Paxton Pits.


A swan was finding some shelter from the wind - but is that willow showing the first signs of Spring colour?



Two male Tufted ducks lingered by the water's edge long enough for me to grab a picture. They are very common ducks in the UK in the winter months, when their numbers are increased as over 100,000 of them fly in from Europe to enjoy our comparatively mild weather.



They don't mind the wind!


Take care.

36 comments:

  1. A delightful way to start the New Year, John. Like you, i was abed before the stroke of midnight and the clock turned over without me as it always does. It seems very early for snowdrops, but I am perhaps making my judgement based on winter here. We won't see them for a couple of months yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing the detail you see when you take time to really look. 2022 was so dry that, despite all the recent rain, our local reservoirs still aren't full up. The rivers rise with the showers but soon drop again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here; Grafham Water was lower than I've ever seen it last week.

      Delete
  3. Happy New Year, John. We are having a warming spell here which is highly unusual. Our big snow before Christmas is fast disappearing and rain in the forecast not snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have occasionally seen tufted ducks here too. Never in winter though. Photo 4 looks like a crack in ice to me. Ice is on my mind these days. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John - so good to see you around again - I love your photos and descriptions you give us ... little snowdrops of wonder ... while that trunk has some amazing picture-map like stories to tell - yes I agree with you ... lots to be read from it: I'm not sure I'd like to know what the future holds ... so sincerely hope it's better than most of us expect. Take care and enjoy those days out with your brother ... looking forward to seeing more from you as 2023 progresses ... cheers and HPN - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blog
    Happy new year๐ŸŽŠ๐ŸŽ‰

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the willow is anticipating spring, too early as usual but that green is tantalising.
    Happy New Year, it will bring what it will bring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snowdrops and new growth photos made me smile! We have a ways to go until Spring here in Illinois but those little signs make me feel hopeful! Thanks, John!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always amazed to see your snowdrops...whenever they happen! Patterns and textures do invite one to stare and find more details! Thanks for sharing here again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so lovely to have you back here John as we enter into 2023. We too didn't wait up until the new year entered either - the old excitement that used to be around with fireworks and lots of good cheer not longer feels present.
    I am so pleased that you have shown the early snowdrops John - the first are out in my garden too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! A lovely way to start the year with photos of all the beauty you see around you. I love the details in the tree trunks...art and poetry all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those are some really early flowers! Thanks for sharing your walk with us. I've missed your walking posts. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It will be a couple of months before we see flowers here. Often the Winter Aconite blossoms mid March which is always welcome. I so enjoy your walks, John.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice to have some early flowers be captured by your camera. HNY, John.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How I love walking with you - and your attention to detail. Thank you. Add me to those who didn't wait up for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure you don't need me to tell you you don't need mistletoe to steal a kiss John. And those snowdrops are a perfect gift for me - thank you. Happy New Year and here's to good health.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thankyou for taking us on your walks. A good way to start the year

    ReplyDelete
  18. A pleasant start. Those snowdrops are really early! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Various glimpses into the nature.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Any sign of plant life in mid-winter reassures us that the earth is following an age old pattern. Spring will return!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for more wonderful photos. May 2023 treat you well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Esas campanillas, de tu primera foto estรก pletรณrica de belleza. Buenas muestras nos ofrece de las maravillas de la Naturaleza.
    ¡Feliz aรฑo nuevo !

    ReplyDelete
  23. The snowdrops was a nice surprise John. Last week I walked by a row tall trees and the Rookery at the top of them has come alive already. Rooks cawing away already.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow so beautiful with those snowdrops!And so early for the year!!Wow!!Ilike ll your photoes -Looks very spring!Thanl you for nice comment at my place.Wish you all good and Happy New Year 2023 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love the snow drops and the swan.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness. You're seeing signs of spring already. How wonderfully encouraging for me! PS: You have an amazing eye for detail.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy New Year from NH, John, and it was great to see these photos from your first 2023 walk about. Interesting that you should mention mistletoe as I just listened to a podcast which explained how it grows on tree limbs after birds excrete seeds. Those tree patterns were quite interesting as well. We had planned a first day walk, but the miserable wet weather has made most forest paths a muddy mess which are not fun to walk in.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What lovely photos. I live in Northern Canada and we'll have snow and cold until April usually.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful capture, greetings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I find natures patterns absolutely fascinating. Happy new year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  31. very nice articles with your walks of December and this new year

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy new year, John. And what a good start, with flowers already in bloom. Nothing like that here, I'm afraid, but I did put in some bulbs on the 2nd, so maybe later we will have new blooms.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).