Sunday 20 February 2022

The Indecisive Stream

I lived for many years in a village where a slow, cautious river edged its way through green fields in a series of unhurried loops and meanders. There was often a church tower loitering among the trees on the horizon too.


But not this church, or this river or these meadows - not too far away though.



And if you become interested in birdwatching around here, you soon gravitate towards the many flooded gravel pits along the flood plains of the rivers. So when my brother and I visited the nature reserve at Godmanchester recently, I was in familiar scenery, even though my boots had never encountered these particular muddy paths before. I nearly didn't post these pictures, but I realise that I have readers from far and wide, and what is utterly familiar to me may be exotic to those elsewhere.



We were in the wake of Storm Dudley, which had passed by on the previous day, and we were yet to meet with Storm Eunice, who threatened to cause untold damage in the next few hours. Even so it was mighty windy with little to hamper the chill blast in this open countryside. 



As it turned out Eunice passed with winds touching hurricane force, but did not cause me any great inconvenience. The next day I picked up some twigs and dead leaves in my yard and moved a large piece of roofing felt from the car parking spaces outside, but that was all.



However it was rather more dramatic for a man out walking his dog just half a mile down the road; a huge tree fell on them, trapping them beneath its branches. Remarkably, although they had to be freed by emergency services, they escaped relatively unharmed.



Anyway, back to our walk. The watercourse above is unusual for two reasons: firstly it's called Cook's Stream and, although this is a country full of streams, there are very few that have "stream" as part of their name; secondly it flows from the River Great Ouse, follows a squiggly course of its own design, divides in two, then both arms flow back into the main river a little further downstream. Even when rivers are as indecisive as they are around here, that's an odd thing to do.



We were looking for birds of course, in particular a Black-necked Grebe that's been here for a while. It's probably still there, but we didn't see it.



In fact my main "achievement" of the day was to get totally baffled by the network of footpaths hereabouts - how can you get misplaced walking around a small lake? Easy, just don't pay any attention to the map.



It was a morning to enjoy the familiar sights: crooked willow trees, rambling brambles, circuitous streams, muddy meadows and falling-down fences. There was even a disheveled shed to admire and photograph.

 


Which all leaves time for a little music.....


CLASSICAL  CLAPTON

A familiar tune given a delicate arrangement by Hirokazu Sato
and played by the S Korean guitarist Kyuhee Park, 
who has a couple of classical albums available
as well as many YouTube videos


I think Eric would approve.


 Take care.


26 comments:

  1. A pleasant walk indeed, John. It seems to me that Dudley and Eunice are entirely fitting names to give to a storm with ill intent - with apologies to all the Dudleys and Eunices out there. One of Miriam's sisters is named Beulah. Now that's a name for a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite an interesting crooked willow tree! I enjoy your walks around. It's quite different from here. You have a super day, hugs, Edna B.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, I appreciate not just the scenery, but your ability to frame each shot in a beautiful way. If it comes naturally you are talented, and if you learned it, it now seems second nature to you...IMHO (in my humble opinion - I learned this because I use it a lot!) Very nice music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your walkabouts! They are new territory for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful stroll, thanks John. Glad the storm didn't cause any damage in your area. We had a few trees fall down and that's about it. The strength of the wind is incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice walk there, John. Sorry you didn't get to see the Black-necked Grebe. It looked like a nice outing and a fun walk anyway, even if you did get a bit misplaced.
    Really beautiful music. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The guitar solo is wonderful. Your storms look a bit different than ours this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice walk and scenery. The music is lovely to listen to also. Glad you were safe from the storms

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the tree in your second to last photo. I’m glad Eunice didn’t blow it away as it has achieved great character in its old age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love exploring those floodplains, ponds and the river! Sorry you didn't find your bird.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed the musical interlude. Pleased the man and dog were o.k. although I gather many weren't so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice tour along the river and wetlands.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were brave walking in the midst of the storm. We experienced the edge of Franklin last night and I've just heard Gladys is on her way. Beautiful scenery. I enjoyed listening to the classical guitar. A perfect accompaniment for the walk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John - I'm loving Kyuhee Park's classical guitar playing. Your streams must be fascinating ... so many old river beds they could 'stream' down or be diverted - and yes ... it's so easy to get lost when one things one wouldn't be able to - glad you got home!

    Storms down here - trees down, electrics out ... but fortunately not here, but family and friends = yes. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely walk with you today - shall now get my map out and try to locate it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. loved every one of your pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope the man and his dog were okay. I like the music, in fact Eric Clapton’s songs are very beautiful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brilliant young talent John. (The girl not you) :-)
    Lovely avenue of trees though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love this walk through such an English landscape searching for the Black-necked Grebe. Hope he shows up next trip around the watery meadows John.
    Meanwhile, I'm preparing for spring. The garden birds will keep me busy - cleaning out the bird house and nesting boxes etc. A large Red-bellied woodpecker is busy and loud in a nearby tree, and the Eastern bluebird population seems to be growing, always a happy sign.
    Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  20. After the storms, our local streams and rivers are acting very decisive! Some folk a few miles away have lost all their back garden, which slid into the Aire.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you have wonderful walking. The photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very pretty watery landscapes. Did you find birds? They are usually scarce on windy days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I enjoyed my walk with you, lovely photographs and commentary.
    Pleased you were ok in the storms, it has been very bad in places.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am glad the man and his dog were unharmed by the tree that captured them. This was a lovely walk...it is the type of places I love to visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).