Wednesday 15 January 2020

Stealing Out For Walks

The year 2020 has kicked off with several days of drab, grey weather that hasn't produced many photos at all, though every now a then a little watery sun drips through the blanket of cloud and entices me out.



The little area known as Shepreth L-Moor has become a very boggy place indeed as the fluctuating water-levels in Guilden Brook spill over on to the land. The other tiny rivers near here just rise slowly and gently, but the Brook has been modified in times past to drain the fields more efficiently and therefore fills up more rapidly. I'm increasingly convinced that the farmers quite deliberately left the Moor to flood, so as to prevent flooding elsewhere. Yet another indication of how intimately people knew and understood their land.



As a result these fields, which are only a foot or two higher, are dry enough to work on, though more rainclouds are gathering to the south-west.



A little of the day's meagre supply of light fell on this old pipe which crosses Guilden Brook, right beside the road bridge. I noticed the other week how plant life was tenaciously colonising this unpromising site, so I took the opportunity to steal just a smidgen of the reflected light to make another picture. And speaking of "stealing".....



This naughty individual recently paid a visit to my neighbour's bird-feeders.

I'll be back with more posts as and when the weather improves and I have something to blog about.


Take care.


19 comments:

  1. I love the photo of the mossy log, just so beautiful.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the huge issues with squirrels is exactly what you portray in your pictures, they knock the feeders to the ground. Even worse here we have marauding raccoons, and once it starts to get a little warmer in spring and they emerge from their pseudo hibernation I bring my feeders in every night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love seeing your wet, wintry shots John, especially now when it's so hot here. Love your adorable wee thief 💜

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that second photo, John. The earth and sky...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The weather has been the same here, John, with rain on more days than not. Today looks like we might actually see the sun for a while anyway. The photo of the pipe speaks well of the way life adapts to its environment, very tenacious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out in Colorado we have had unusually cold weather but, thankfully, no snow for a few weeks. Still, so cold that the old snow pushed into gigantic piles, still stands. The pipe picture is wonderful -- at first I thought it was a tree. Amazing how the plants soon take over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are having similar weather here and it's about to get even rainier with 3.8 cm coming today and 40 mph gusts of wind. So, lately I've been repeating "gather ye rosebuds while ye may..." and heading out whenever there's the slightest chance of a break in those grey skies. Love seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was wondering and hoping nothing was really wrong...I had noticed your absence from blogging.

    That farmland looks like such good soil! And it is amazing how and where things choose to live.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The naughty individual worked hard for his or her prize.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have same squirrel problem with the bird feeders in my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been able to get some walks in but these have been either on the gym treadmill or just to the downtown area to go to the library, post office or dentist, not in that order and not all on the same day. Our weather was unseasonably warm, but the trails would have been very muddy from melting snow and ice. And, now we're getting a bout of rain and possibly snow and colder temperatures after that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm only managing to sneak out in the rare moments of sunshine too. Everywhere is so muddy! Today was a slightly brighter day, I was out for an hour or two.

    ReplyDelete
  13. All lovely photos, John. Glad you are able to get out on your walks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been out as much as I should, my dogs don't like rain, which is good for me because I don't either. Good photos though John, despite the gloom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one chubby little squirrel with little fat rolls on her tummy!.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Squirrels are always up to no good. Great shot of the naughty one, caught in action. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have lost so many bird feeders and suet feeders to squirrels! Funny — you caught this guy “red-handed”!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful log picture, - if it was here it would be covered with a couple of feet of snow, and more in the forecast for tonight. It makes the whole world look pure and white, - at least until it starts to melt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).