Friday 27 December 2019

A Flower Let Fall

Very few people knew her name.
She played her songs to her friends and small audiences in the back rooms of pubs.
She was the woman in faded jeans holding an acoustic guitar.
She made just one album that sold a few copies and disappeared, though somehow one found its way to me. I missed the only chance I had to see her perform live.
She died in 2009 and never knew how good she was.

Luckily, although the vinyl album and the eventual CD re-issue were short-lived affairs, there are a few videos on YouTube:
In the first I'll include here she sings her version of Dylan's Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, which is enhanced by Simon Prager's slide guitar and the stunning sax of Barbara Thompson.

But over it all is that great voice....



On the other side of our imaginary 7 inch vinyl double A-side we find her own composition Closing Time, accompanied, confusingly, by illustrations of other LPs on the tiny Mother Earth label



Shoulda been a star.

Take care.

(For more interesting music see Robin Andrea's Music On Friday. I will continue to post some music next year though it may not always be on Friday!)


17 comments:

  1. Many thanks for introducing me to this great singer - I so enjoyed listening to her today. My sister will enjoy her too, I'm sure. Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John - just what one needs to calm down and relax into 2020 - she is as you say quite delightful to listen to. I'll be loving your music selections ... cheers and happy times this coming week - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving voice!

    "Shoulda been a star."

    She's a star here. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful voice. Yes, she shoulda been a star. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this most enjoyable music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! I am so happy to know that we are not the only house where this voice sings out from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As with all the Arts there are people 'on the fringe' who should have made it - sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorite songs. She has a great, original voice. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, she has such a unique voice...I do like her. I really like the second song...going to have to look and see if there are more from her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice voice and one can hear the lyrics. Shoulda been a star.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely voice! Definitely shoulda been a star.


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Closing Time song...wow. she surely had a unique talent.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).