Friday 9 August 2019

A Gathering Of Moths


Like most small boys born in the 1950s I had a spell of being obsessed with plastic aeroplanes which could be bought in kit form from Airfix, to be painstakingly assembled and painted.  

One of the hardest ones to build was the de Havilland Tiger Moth, the little struts between the wings were particularly tricky. At that age I called any bi-plane a Tiger Moth and to be honest I haven't refined my knowledge very much in the intervening sixty years!



But I still love the romance of these early flying machines and the place to be on Thursday was Old Warden Airfield in Bedfordshire where the de Havilland Moth Club were having a get-together. There were all kinds of "Moth" aeroplanes to be seen.



During the first part of the day you could watch the planes arriving on the grass airstrip and look at the planes parked close to the perimeter fence.



At lunchtime the gate was opened and the public could wander amongst some of the planes, talk to the owners and get intimate views inside the cockpits.



Hmmm, not much room in there! And not many instruments and dials to keep an eye on either.



There were also some slightly more sophisticated light aircraft present. As I said, my knowledge of aircraft is not very extensive so if anyone can add details I'd love to hear from you.



There was a display of formation flying too.....



…..with some well-choreographed near misses!



The main use of these little planes was as a training aircraft for pilots. Apparently they are easy to fly, but difficult to fly well, making it obvious to the eye of expert instructors which trainees had the potential to become fighter pilots and those who'd be more suited to other roles.



Personally, even though I still love these wonderful machines, I think I'd volunteer to be a member of ground crew!




Take care.


21 comments:

  1. When I was a kid it was model airplanes built from balsa wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it has been a while and I should be used to it, but I am still amazed men can fly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beauties. It must have been interesting to see them up close and to watch them fly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll help you on the ground crew. Flying in a flimsy little bucket of bolts isn't my heart's desire. But I would have loved to be at that gathering, fascinating stuff. I have to admire the dedicated people who keep these iconic machines operational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not as good in small planes as large ones (with more room to sit than is available on my budget). Thanks especially for the cockpit shot...pretty simple controls. I think these are lovely example of man's ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful, John. Love the flying shots. I've still got a half-made Airfix Tiger Moth somewhere..! It's in the same box with the Spit and the Lanc, I think (and all the dried-up Humbrol paints).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful historic pieces! Wonderful to see them so close and even from the inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool place to visit and see those planes up close like that. Love the photos, up close and in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to see those take offs and landings, and if offered a chance I would definitely go up for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those Airfix kits were definitely boys toys - but even so I would love to take a ride in one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My wife and I went up for a fligh in a moth at Duxford, quite and experience though I nearly threw up in it. I was alowed to fly for a few moments which I found quiet un-nerving but over all I did like my flight. Remember Airfix, I was a little bugger for buying them

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those planes are beauties. Nice to see them up close, it must have been great to see them flying around.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read your title but I never thought about those kind of moths.

    ReplyDelete
  14. John, this post brings back many memories of the war years when air fields near where I lived became part of the British Empire Training effort, and many are the boys I met from all over the world, learning to fly on Tiger Moths.....my husband ended up as a Lancaster Pilot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John - reminds me of my step-grandfather flying over us in a Tiger Moth in the 1950s from Fairoaks aerodrome, Surrey ... and then he and others started the gliding and flying club down at Perranporth, Cornwall - where I learnt to glide ... before the club was moved out to Lands End. Beautiful photos - and a lucky weather wise day ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed the Old Warden Museum more than Duxford when we visited both a few years ago. I love the older biplanes, we watched a woman pilot take off from the field and fly around for a while before she landed again:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. It would have been fun to be there....interesting to see.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm with you John, I love to see these old beauties and enjoy seeing them up close, but the thought of going up in one is out of the question 😁

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made me think of the Monty Python sketch about fighter pilot banter where Eric Idle was going on about somebody who "pranged his kite."

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks like a very interesting day out. I don't fancy flying one but I'd love to be taken on a flight in one of those!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).