Thursday 19 July 2018

Back To The Garden


"We've got to get ourselves back to the garden" as Joni Mitchell recommended so many years ago. But it's not Woodstock that we're going back to, but the Cambridge Botanic Garden where a rather different music event was taking place yesterday evening. TG Collective were performing gypsy-jazz-and-beyond as part of a programme of events called Sounds Green which takes place in the garden throughout July.


Many families bring picnics and start to gather on the lawns as much as two hours before the music begins. There were dancing girls in front of the stage too - but they were about six years old!


The event concluded a rather musical day for me as beforehand I'd been wandering the streets of the city centre listening to the buskers. On this fine July afternoon that included a Celtic folk trio, a man playing musical saw, African drummers and probably the world's only glove-puppet ukulele player (I kid you not!). And at lunchtime I'd been to a recital of classical flute and piano music in Sidney Sussex Chapel. That's Cambridge for you.



Take care.




14 comments:

  1. Not only a musical day, but completely eclectic. I just love your first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such wonderful experiences all in one day John! Cambridge is an amzing place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great day and some good music to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi John - Fantastic day ... lovely - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone loves the first photo - me too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like fun. Love that first shot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you ever have too much music John.. I think not especially when it's so diverse 😊 Looks like you had the perfect English summer day for all these musical endeavours!
    P.s. I love your first shot too 😀

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, John; I can almost smell the grass...

    ReplyDelete
  9. First photo....love!
    Love Cambridge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful musical day. - the puppet ukulele intrigues me, but I would have loved to hear the piano and flute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Music and a garden, a lovely day in my books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness that's a lot of people! I envy you the musical variety though. Here, I'd find country music at a bar, or gospel music on the courthouse lawn, and that's about it unless we drive an hour or more. Which the old man never wants to do.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).