Thursday 31 October 2019

Fall's Paradise

Last year.....
"It was actually two years ago, John"
…….OK, two years ago then, I went to take photos of Downing College in Cambridge and ended up photographing the Autumn leaves. This year I thought I'd take some photos of the leaves against the stonework of the buildings. It didn't really work out that way and I wandered on to other colleges too. Here's what happened.....


Downing








Emmanuel







Christ's







Sidney Sussex






Believe it or not that last photo, weird as it may seem, is not a double exposure or any other kind of technical trickery. Behind me there was a tree which was reflected in an old window that had somehow been double-glazed and gave a double reflection. Beyond the window, on the other side of the room, were more windows and beyond them stone arches. 

All four colleges visited - Downing, Emmanuel, Christ's and Sidney Sussex - are on a half-mile (800 metre) stretch of Cambridge's main street. They are all worth a visit, both for their historic architecture and their gardens. Better still they don't charge you a penny to walk around and take photos. All they ask is that you remember that this is a learning environment and kindly keep off the grass. Remember though that all colleges usually closed to visitors from mid-April to mid-June for exams.


Take care. 


19 comments:

  1. Beautiful fall images! Love that last one especially!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these fall photos there. That last shot is so beautiful. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was captivated by the last one...I sort of fell into the space between reflections, not sure all of me came back out! Happy Halloween from this side of the pond, where all the kiddies will be rushing around sugar-stoned...though we may have wet trick or treating this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't nature so wonderful, even when she's dying she is beautiful.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos! Fall's paradise of color is my favorite season of all. I love that last one, and am glad you explained it! It would be a real pleasure to visit Cambridge, but it's much too far away as I sit here on my hill in Southern California. Perhaps one day . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fall colours. Nicely composed photos, John.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the ones of Downing and Emmanuel where the gently leaf colours compliment the stonework.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello John, from a first-time visitor to your blog. I have seen your comments on posts by several other bloggers that I follow. This post was a wonderful series of fall photos and I hope to see more of the architecture in your posts, perhaps you have already shown them before. The last photo was a great capture. Planning to take a look around at older posts and plan to return again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christs is the most beautiful college. I had a place at St Catharines, Missed my grades

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello again, I wanted to contact you to ask your permission to include your blog on my blog’s list of blogs I fellow. This way it reminds me to check for new posts, although I am not able to comment on all, I do try to read fellow blogger’s post on a weekly basis. You can leave me a reply in a comment on one of my recent posts. Thanks, John.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! Fall is hands down my favorite time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a treat these photos are. The Autumn colours are glorious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful series of images John. Autumn and heritage architecture make wonderfully photogenic companions.. the last shot is brilliant, well spotted 🍁

    ReplyDelete
  14. You take such wonderful photos...I think at the bottom of it all you are an artist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi John - wonderful photos ... gorgeous Virginia Creeper ... perfect at this time of year ... with the booze bottles in the window! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful photos, especially the one of the windows at Emmanuel college:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).