Thursday 7 March 2019

Wanderings

At this present moment rain is being lashed against my window by a cold, gusty wind and my usual wanderings have been put on hold, at least till tomorrow. I've been looking at some of the places I've roamed (and taken a few photos) in the last few weeks.



Often I'm on the lookout for our feathered friends, but sadly the skies are not usually as busy as this. These are Lapwings, which get their name from their floppy flight and could equally well be called "flapwings", as I used to insist on when I was little. They were a lot more common then and there seemed to be a flock on every ploughed field. These were on a wetland in the Lea Valley in Hertfordshire. They are always "in a flap" too and take to the air at the least suspicion of danger while other less panicky species continue feeding.



I love the subtle shades and soft, delicate featheriness of reedbeds, but their beauty is elusive and tricky to capture on film - or should that be "in pixels". I like this image as well as any I've taken of reedbeds. It shows a small but delectable part of my local reserve at Fowlmere.



The River Little Ouse forms part of the boundary between the counties of Norfolk and Suffolk; the left bank is Suffolk, the north is Norfolk. On summer weekends this can be a busy place, but not on a cold February morning.



"Hairy coos" like this are more at home in the Highlands of Scotland than in a field in Norfolk. They are often found grazing on nature reserves though, keeping the wild vegetation from becoming too wild!



No, not an equatorial rain forest but a small patch of weed on the tiny River Shep not far from home.



The margins of one of the two ornamental lakes at Wimpole Hall which were created in the early eighteenth century. Nowadays they look very natural and are home to some varied wildlife.



There aren't enough battered old tree stumps left standing these days, even those who should know better can't resist the urge to tidy things up. But they make cosy homes for all kinds of insects, which in turn attract the attentions of birds. Woodpeckers excavate nest holes, owls occupy hollow stumps and small birds like Treecreepers construct their homes behind peeling bark. Also they make nice perches for birds of prey. There's a well-camouflaged Kestrel smack-dab in the middle of the above photo.



And rotting wood is home to many kinds of fungus.



Mr Swan patrols his home patch at Paxton Pits. Like many bird-watchers I'm often guilty of not taking enough notice of these extraordinary, interesting and beautiful birds.



Could you imagine a more peaceful scene? Well, it might surprise you to learn that this is part of Needingworth Quarry, the largest sand and gravel extraction site in the east of England. As old pits are abandoned they are allowed to return to a more natural state where they are a magnet for all kinds of wildlife. The operators, Hanson, in conjunction with the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) are currently transforming part of the huge site into the largest reedbed in the UK.


Take care.



19 comments:

  1. The swan is a beauty.

    The cow is so different from what I'm used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never could see that Kestral. That's great that a quarry is being repurposed to have more wildlife...and a reedbed at that. The photo of the grass heads (reeds?) is so great and they look soft. I always think of reeds as sharp edged, but then I haven't tried really touching them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to look up the lapwings...we don't have them. They are sure a handsome bird. I would not have spotted the kestrel if you had not mentioned it. These places would be a magnet for me. You sure have some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That kestrel is indeed well-camouflaged John. I would never had noticed him had you not pointed him out. Lovely photographs as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lapwings are aming the most enigmatic of shorebirds and as you say their numbers have declined in recent years. I was happy that during my last trip to Britain I saw them several times, which had not been the case on a previous visit. I am sure that industrialized farming practices and blatant pesticide use have both contributed to the shrinking population.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos John. I love the one of the pond weed, such a good pattern. We are so lucky to live in this varied and beautiful little country.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that second photo of the reeds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great mix of habitats, lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. I spotted the kestrel with your directions. I too remember ploughed fields full of lapwings, or peewits as we used to call them, from my childhood:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that nature reclaims the land after we leave it alone for a while John.. enjoyed these shots very much. Hope the weather warms up a wee bit soon ✨

    ReplyDelete
  11. Some lovely photographs here. Rosie above reminded me that we used to call them peewits too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another beautiful walk there. I looked for the kestrel in that photo and could not spot it. Definitely well-camouflaged. You do get to walk in such lovely places.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hairy coo is pretty impressive. I have never seen one before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi John - love the green fronds of weed ... great photo. Yup - can see the Kestrel - but wouldn't have looked for it ... if you hadn't of pointed it out. Lovely photos and just great to see English countryside at its most natural - thank you ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love seeing large flocks of birds like that and wondering how they each keep in their own space and cause no collisions! The hairy coo has a beautiful winter coat. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As things are John, that is probably the entire numbers of Lapwings in UK you shot there.
    Lovel scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. spectacular photographs -- the coo, the water weeds and the new pond in the quarry especially stand out for me. The silence must be wonderful as well, out on a cold winter day. As always, thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What incredible scenery! I love all the little finds along the way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).