Wednesday 20 March 2019

March's Garden

The recent spell of cold and windy weather has rather put a brake on our runaway Spring, so when I went to the Cambridge University Botanic Garden this week I wondered quite what I'd find to photograph. I've been showing you a little bit of the site each month, but the best looking parts of the Garden this month were the Winter Garden and the Glasshouses, which we've already explored.



But there was a small, but persistent, presence tugging at my sleeve. "Go the smelly one," it urged, "Go the smelly one!". Long ago, you see, I used to bring a young boy here as part of my work. He was both blind and autistic, but could invariably find his way to the Scented Garden, guided either by the fragrance, or else by some uncanny sixth sense, which was the only explanation we could offer for many of the things which he could do.



Even my old and tiring senses could detect the fragrance of the "City Of Haarlem" hyacinth in the top photo and the Erysimum "Walberton's Fragrant Sunshine" (above) as I entered the Scented Garden. There weren't huge numbers of flowers blooming and the theme seemed to be very definitely yellow. On this warm, cloudy day there were lots of intermingling aromas, but they are not easy things to photograph. We'll have to make do with scattered flowers and a few memories.




Several gardeners were hard at work giving many of the shrubs and herbs some neat but rather brutal haircuts in readiness for summer. I don't usually photograph this cheerful band of workers as they go about their very necessary tasks, so I take this opportunity to thank them for their endeavours.




I thought I'd better grab this shot before the shears and secateurs descended and robbed us of these sculptural forms till next winter.




Maybe this little darling had been disturbed from its reverie by all the busy activity going on around it.





The garden lies in a slight hollow that helps to trap the fragrant air and there are raised beds which lift the blooms nearer to nostril height. It's a wonderful place for those with visual impairments to enjoy the wonder of the garden. My young friend was very happy to remain here as long as possible.




The most glorious perfume to rise in any garden and find its way to my nostrils is that of Rosemary. I can't walk past without rubbing my fingers along its stems and through those rudimentary leaves. The flowers are not particularly showy; it's as though the plant has put all its effort into its scent, like some drab little birds contrive to produce the loudest, most flamboyant song.




My father used to like this place too. In the days before there was an admission charge to the Botanic Garden many people used to cut through here as a pleasant respite from the traffic-clogged streets. Dad used to use this as part of his route home from town and knew where all the best seats were for a few minutes rest before continuing his journey. On wet or drizzly days the little shelter in the Scented Garden was the place to be.




And then there were the days when I visited as one of the more pleasant parts of my work. You may be wondering just how I could persuade a very single-minded young man, intoxicated by the mix of aromas on offer, that it was time to leave this heavenly space. That's easy: suggest a cup of tea and a slice of cake in the café. Well, that's where I'm going now. Are you coming or what?





Take care.



14 comments:

  1. Pretty colours! Spring advances better there than it does here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine how pleasant this is, and if your early spring has taken a turn for the worse, I suspect this oasis draws you in even more than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place this must be...can only begin to imagine smelling the flowers. So, Rosemary is to the flowers what I consider the Carolina Wren to be of the birds. Although with it, it is its song and its personality!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have become allergic to most scented things, but I keep trying flowers for the joyful palette they offer. It is great to give credit to workers (often volunteers) who care for public gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all those colorful flowers! We have daffodils blooming where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is interesting about your young friend. My grandson is High Functioning ASD. he is good with numbers but not sure about flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes I'm coming for a cuppa and cake but it will take me 24 hours to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John - yes I'll be there ... but I'll linger a little while longer enjoying the Spring scents ... wonderful to read about the little lad you worked with - so pleased he had some pleasures ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those creamy hyacinths are simply lovely and well saved lovely shot from the secateurs.
    Have you every visited the hyacinth gardens at Anglesey Abbey, the scent at this time of year is intoxicating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never visited at this time of year. I've been for snowdrops, and for dahlias, as well as several other times of year.

      Delete
  10. I do so enjoy your pictures and commentary. How fortunate you are to have the gardens close enough for frequent visits.Everything in the States is a long way away by comparison. Thank you for your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hang on a tick John, and I'll be right there 😉 The scented garden sounds a delight. I am determined to grow hyacinths in spring this year. I think working in a Botanical garden would be incredible, hard work but so rewarding!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely idea for people such as your student to enjoy. And the rest of us too, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).