Saturday 31 May 2014

Remaindered Stock

Being a selection of items which I have been unable to find room for and which are now offered to you at the astonishingly reasonable rate of Buy One Get Four Free!


A Very Private Place


Narford Hall in Norfolk looks as though it would be interesting to visit. Although it's part of Britain's heritage it's a bit that you're never likely to see close up. This is the domain of the Fountaine family; it's never open to the public and very few get to look inside. Even the architectural historian, Nikolaus Pevsner, couldn't gain access to complete his great work on British architecture. The most famous inhabitant in recent years was Andrew Fountaine whose extreme right-wing politics endeared him to few outside of a small band of like-minded fanatics - and he eventually managed to fall out with them too. In later life he contented himself with planting trees on his estate.
The few who have been inside report that it's not that grand, much of the furnishings having been sold off over the years.


More Heritage


I spent much of my youth (and a good part of my adult life, if truth be told) in places like this. But in this digital age they are rapidly disappearing from our city streets. This one is in King's Lynn and there will be those who say that they're always a bit behind the times up there! But just check out some of these for a bit of nostalgia...



A Little Colour


Regular readers of this blog will know that I love medieval church paintings and wish that our churches retained more of this ancient tradition. So I was pleased, and not a little surprised, to find this modern embellishment on the screen in Bassingbourn church. I'm not quite sure about the colour-scheme but I welcome the general idea.

Ancestry


In Hatfield House there is displayed this remarkable scroll. It was completed in the time of Elizabeth l and purportedly traces her lineage back to Adam and Eve and therefore, it is said, establishes her right to reign (though my logic suggests that it merely establishes that she was a human being!)  In the roundel in the centre of the picture can be seen William the Conqueror mounted on his steed. 

Anyone For Tennis?


The latest addition to the public amenities in a park in Cambridge is this table-tennis table, free for anyone to use - just bring bats and balls. The park in question goes by the name of Christ's Pieces, which intrigues visitors, including the writer Bill Bryson. But to long-time residents of Cambridge it merely means the pieces of land belonging to Christ's College.


Take care.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting story about the Fountaine's ...love the photos of the record store....ah times gone by....& funny commentary on the Elizabethian scroll.... :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a lot to enjoy in your posts John. I can't even imagine what it must have been like living in a place like that of the Fountaines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a collection of "stock" you must have! I wouldn't mind a bit more of this stuff. That record shop reminds me of days gone bye, and I pity Bill Bryson (one of my favourite authors) that he couldn't trace that name :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, a bonus post John - good to have a little stash in the background. Vinyl appeals to a lot of collectors; I guess they go looking on e-bay these days if the stores are closing up. Table-tennis table in the outdoors is quite unique I'd say . Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to read through the genealogy scroll and see how it goes back to Adam and Eve ;)
    Not into vinyl, but one of my sons is busy collecting all he can--so far he hasn't convinced me that the scratched and dirty old records sound better than other forms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that painted screen (reredos?) in the church John. We saw some painted churches in Norfolk - I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun post. Amazingly there is a surviving record store here in Santa Rosa, Jackalope Records. I haven't been in there in a long time. Think I will now, just to get some material for when I run out of road trip stuff. Neat to know that I am related to Elizabeth l. Can't wait to tell my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I run miscellany every now and then, too, just to clear out some of the archives. There is an old record store down here, too, that I have visited and doubt it will be here after the current owner retires or passes away. And, the painted church details are wonderful, in whatever color they chose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm intrigued by the scroll. It would be fun taking the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).