Friday 18 April 2014

Ambushed!

Sometimes I'm engaged in taking one kind of photo when KERPOW! I'm ambushed by something quite different. Most recently I was taking photos of flowers in Christ's College gardens when I came upon a certain statue, then later I found a bas relief plaque. Here they are:



The one on the right is the image we normally have of Charles Darwin, familiar to British people at least as the man on the £10 note. But on the left is Darwin as a young man at Christ's College in 1831 when he was 22 and planning a field trip to Tenerife. He never made that journey as he had the opportunity to accompany Capt FitzRoy aboard The Beagle

*******

On another occasion I was wandering along by the River Cam photographing the University rowing races when it suddenly became darker as rain clouds rolled in, followed by the inevitable downpour. I walked briskly towards the railway bridge which was the only cover from the elements when I noticed....



....I just love the stoicism with which horses face (or more often turn their backs on) inclement weather.



*******

I thought I'd finished with photography for the afternoon and was thinking about doing my shopping when I saw...



... the look of determination on this woman as she swings her basket. I get the feeling that the market trader might have a hard time if the prices or quality aren't to her liking.


*******

Making my way to the E-luminate light show I put my lens up against a shop window. 



It's known as "The Haunted Bookshop" and though I can't detect a ghostly presence it does look as though it might have been hit by a particularly untidy poltergeist!


*******

Not the kind of image I was expecting when I ventured into a parish church but I rather like it:


....shadows as the sun strikes through the church window.

*******

Sometimes I just get the feeling that somebody's watching me...


Take care.
And watch out for ambushes.





7 comments:

  1. John, I love it when I'm "ambushed" by something I wasn't planning to photograph. Your examples are great ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the market scene, the shopping lady looks very focused on that fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Photographic ambushes are the best :) Oh how I love the shot into the bookshop, magical image John. Hehe that's a gnarly old tree face looking at you there :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the statue of Charles Darwin, interesting to see him as a young man. Love the photo of the horses too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely commentary to go with your photos. It's the first time I have seen a statue of Darwin as a young man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John, once again I love your finds and your humor. Quite a discovery to see that Darwin was once young and handsome . . . we freeze people into the moment captured by the last (or at least most famous) image. Maybe when it is time for my obituary, I should have a photo when I was 35, not the crumpled old man I have become.

    And, sad to say, I am cultured and sedate. I never had the originality to be colorful and funky. But, at least, cultured and sedate paid better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).