Lode Mill stands in the grounds of Anglesey Abbey and a visit can be combined with the house and gardens for a very satisfying day out. There has been a watermill on this site since before the Domesday Book, but the present structure dates from the eighteenth century. It was used to grind wheat for flour until it was converted to produce cement around 1900. This continued till 1920 when the business closed and the mill was left to become derelict.
The waterwheel that powers the whole operation
Lord Fairhaven, the owner of Anglesey Abbey, bought the mill in 1934, tidied up the outside of the building and used it to store garden seats and statues during the winter months. In 1977 the Cambridgeshire Wind And Watermill Society began restoring the internal workings, a task that was completed in 1982.