Sunday, 11 September 2011

The Other Side Of Town - A Walk Along Mill Road

Away from the colleges of the University, away from the parks and gardens, away from the big department stores, away from the serenity of the riverside commons lies another Cambridge.

Bustling, multi-cultural, colourful, untidy, a little bit new-wave and a little bit old-fashioned, running through an area crammed with terraced streets, is Mill Road. It also used to be the site of the old Maternity Hospital which makes it the place of my birth, though I'd never thought of it like that till just now.

I've long had a feeling that I'd like to photograph the fronts of all the independent shops and join them together into a long, long photograph - if I had any idea why I wanted to do it, or where on earth I'd display it, I would have completed the project by now. But just expect a few shop frontages in amongst these images. There'll also be a few candid shots of passers-by.















I thought long and hard about doing a post related to the terrible events of 9/11. But maybe in this stroll through a multi-faith, multi-nation community, all doing their best to get along, as other communities do throughout every continent, there is hope yet for this battered and bruised old world. 

Take special care.

8 comments:

  1. A great photo essay, John. So different and yet so like many places in the US. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Wayfarin' Stranger....great photo essay. I enjoyed every picture!! I like that you pointed out there is tragedy, pain, suffering and difficulties within communities no matter where you go in the world....it is surprising to me when we act surprised at murder and death, knowing what we know about history! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the side of Ca,bridge you don't normally see John - and all the better for that. Interesting that multi cultural groups seem to get on in Universities - so what is it that happens afterwards that changes things?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, John. The 9-11 events were horrible to go through, and even after 10 years...still unbelievable! But this was a nice reminder, life goes on...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the visit to the other side of Cambridge ... agreed with your remark re multi-nation comunity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the photos-such an interesting variety!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for all your kind comments.
    Alice, welcome to By Stargoose And Hanglands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is a great post for the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I'll try to answer any questions via a comment or e-mail within the next day or two (no hard questions, please!).